'78 Reinell 30'

Topmason

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys.<br />I've found a boat I want.<br />1978 Reinell FB, twin FWC 350's, etc.<br />My question, is this chop or laid?<br />I researched the forum and found that most were chop but 28's were thought to be built by someone else and perhaps laid.<br />Can I assume the 30' would be laid as well?

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '78 Reinell 30'

Find any area that you can expose and look at it. Tap the WHOLE hull with a quarter or a small hammer, listening for dead spots. Look for cracks in the gelcoat or any other defects you can find. This hull was built 25 years ago. If it's still in good shape, it really doesn't matter if it was hand laid, hit with a chopper gun or made out of expired Play-doh, it will probably hang in for a few more years.

3boyzz

Cadet

I just purchased a 1976 2671 cabin cruiser. Looking in the engine compartment it looks like the glass is laid. I've had some negative comments about this boat. The comments I've received were mostly along the lines of Bayliners and Reinells, stay away from both. Never had any specific reasons, just that they aren't the best. Mine seems to have been extremely well cared for boat and as the other comment was, if it lasted 25 years, it can't be all bad.<br /><br />I really like the layout, it doesn't feel closed in with just port windows to peek out! The open layout should be a great asset when I trailer it over to your wet and foggy side of the state to play in the salt water!!<br /><br />I posted some questions about Reinell a month or so ago. I got few replies as well. The way I see it, there are a lot of them still around, that must mean something, and the layout is unlike any other I've seen. Hey, and it beats paying $80,000 plus for a new Bayliner 28 ft command bridge!! Oh, one more thing, I can tow my boat on it's trailer without permits and keep my current truck!! Good luck.

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same concerns when I was shopping for a new/used boat. I was steered away from the Bayliner because of the bad reputation. I really like the Bayliner 2452. I see them often, and I like the open layout of big windows, and still trailorable.<br />But, when you pound on the hull, they are pretty thin.<br />Take some time and go around with a fist, and pound the bottom of your hand on many different boats. Then, go pound on the one you are looking at. You will know if it sounds right or not.

Topmason

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks all.<br />I highly regard your comments and suggestions and will proceed accordingly. :)