What's better in pontoon boats? Bennington, Odyssey, AquaPatio ??

squale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking for the best manufacturer and warranties on these pontoon boats.. anybody know if the above are the best? and which are better than the others?

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What's better in pontoon boats? Bennington, Odyssey, AquaPatio ??

How are you doing, Newtoboatsman, I purchased an Odyssey Lextra 2502, with a 350 Mag, MPI, I/O engine in it on July 3rd this year. I am pleased with my Tritoon! I purchased it from Montgomery Marine in Montomery, Alabama. They are a great dealer, and bend over backwards, to please you, even after the sale. <br /><br />You can type in ForestRiverinc.com and click on Boats, and check out the Odyssey's for yourself. They have a FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY ON THE HULL! not a Limited lifetime warranty. The site also has a nearest dealer locator, to you on it.<br /><br />It performs and handles extremly well, and the extent of my problems have been zeroing in on the right Stainless Steel Prop, but we are working on it, and they seem as interested in customer satisfaction After the sale, as they were before the sale. My other complaint is I don't like that it came standard with a 24 gallon gas tank, but my Dealer is working on a larger one for me and advised me that the 2004's are going to have a larger tank in them, and might get one of those for me. <br /><br />Odyssey's seating is made by Veada, which is a premier seating company, Very Comfortable, and durable. <br /><br />I don't know a lot about Aqua Patio. Bennington appears to be a nice boat also, When comparing brands in July, Odyssey, to me was the best built boat, and had more features that came Standard, that were added (Pay more for) options on the other brands.<br /><br />By all means, check them all out, insist on a test ride, and make an Informed Decision. <br /><br />Folks, will always argue name brands, and which is best. I am satisfied with my Odyssey, and will be happy to answer any questions that I can to help you.

Trent

Captain

Godsbeast...I thought you were from LA? Or are you near Montgomery?

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Trent, I live in Port Allen, La. I drove to Montgomery, to buy an I/O, the Odyssey Dealer, in New Orleans, La. only handled Outboards at the time. He has received so many calls reguarding I/O lately, that he is considering, starting to carry I/O. <br /><br />Montgomery Marine, has gone out of their way, to answer any questions over the phone. Can you believe they even call me!

livebait

Seaman Apprentice

Hi newtoboatsman, Take a close look at the Bennington line, I did. they have the best warranty and construction of any that I could find. I have been in the market for a new pontoon since spring of this year. I have owned several pontoons and by now I know what to look for in quality construction. Bennington has my vote. I have a new one on order, should be ready for the delivery inspection 17th of this month. <br />Ron

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been researching for about 3 months now. IMHO, Bennington, Odyssey, Premier, get my vote for best quality. There are a slew of them not far behind though!<br /><br />I was given this link by a friend of mine, click on the boats, and you get their opinion!<br /><br /> http://www.pdbworld.com/index.cfm?fuse=shootout&shootoutID=8

squale

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Godsbeast and Livebait, can you tell me what model boat you got with what options, etc. and let me know how much you paid if you don't mind me asking.<br /><br />I am trying to stay around 20K but don't think that's possible with these boats..

squale

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also, Godsbeast, I went back and reread that post you did earlier in reply to mine about pontoons, and you said you paid 29K for boat, trailer, options, etc. out the door. Well I was checking out the Odyssey website and I don't think I need 25ft. I would be fine with 22ft. and I see they have a Lextra 2102L and a Lextra 2302L. Do you know the price difference and engine options for these models? Also, what is better I/O or Outboard? 4-stroke or 2-stroke? Do you think it is possible to get this boat with a good sized engine to pull skiers for around 20K give or take a couple grand?<br /><br />I don't know really the deal with I/O why I would get that versus an outboard and maybe you can explain that to me why you went with the I/O ??<br /><br />Also, will a V-8 Mercury Mountaineer pull this pontoon no problem?

squale

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh forget.. Godsbeast.. sorry for all the questions.. lol<br />In the previous thread you mentioned that you are on some Pontoon specific forums where I can get some really good pontoon info... can you give me the links to those please? thanks

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

For the ski deal 3 logs and I/O is ideal. Which will be WAY over $20k. You can ski with an 18' bowrider for less.<br /><br />Here is that other message board - Groups.MSN Pontoon Boating <br /><br />Kelly Cook

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Regardless of what you get, look for quality construction and durability.<br /><br />All aluminum pontoons are great. No rot to worry about. Even the seating has aluminum frames so you don't have to worry about them rotting.<br /><br />I have an all aluminum one and I know.<br />It is close to 20 years old and had the carpet replaced once and the material on the seating replaced once.<br /><br />It ain't one of them fancy ones but it fills my bill.<br /><br />Good luck in your search. :)

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Hello Newtoboatsman, I don't have a lot of time to reply right now but here are two sites, if I can put them in. <br /><br /> http://www.mypontoon.com/mypontoon/ <br /><br /> http://groups.msn.com/PontoonBoating/buyselltrade.msnw?all_topics=1 <br /><br />I don't believe you will find many quality Tripontoons, with a good I/O, new, at 20K. My reason for I/O, was just quietness, and performance. There is NOTHING Wrong with an Outboard model, in fact a lot of folks prefer them, and they have their advantages. Kind of like arguing Ford, Chevy, and Dodge again.<br /><br />My preference between the Outboards would be a 4 cycle, again for quietness, and not having to keep up with Oil Mixtures, and some say it is a savings in money, over time. Others argue that point though. <br /><br />You should have no problem pulling yours with a Mercury Mountaineer, I pull mine right now with a Dodge Ram 1500 with a 318. I just turn off the Overdrive when pulling. <br /><br />I did not check on the prices of the shorter Pontoons, but yes they are less expensive, Even the I/O which were shorter, and had 4.3's and 3.O's in them are less expensive. I can not give you a price quote of the one's with the Outboards, because I just wanted the I/O, and didn't check. In fact they have an Odyssey Dealer in New Orleans, within a hour drive from me, that handles Odyssey's with Outboards. This was just my preference, not that it is better. My dealer said they even have Odyssey's with huge 4 cycle, Outboards on them that are running in the 50's MPH range. It is all in what you want. I wanted some speed, but I also wanted something comfortable, that Parents and my wife's Grandparents, would enjoy a comfortable cruise on also. I have a slight hearing problem, which is my reason for wanting a quiet motor, that we don't have to holler at each other over. Mine is a very quiet, runner!<br /><br />You should be able to use the dealer locator on the site, find your nearest dealer, and I am sure they would be happy to give you price quotes, on several different models, equiped with I/O's or Outboards of your choosing. <br /><br />The dealer in New Orleans, would have also special ordered the I/O for me if I would have wanted, but I wanted to take a look at them, and test, before buying, or ordering one. When we saw ours, when the wife said buy it, (I was going to order one with the 5.0) seeing this one had the 5.7, the wife was happy, so the dealer, scrambled to Prep the boat, so we could haul it home that day. <br /><br />If I forgot to answer a question, I will reply later when I have more time.<br /><br />Here is another site to check out.<br /><br /> http://www.internetgrapevine.net/partypontoons/index7.html <br /><br />Holler if I can be of any other assistance.<br /><br />GodsBeast

squale

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Godsbeast.. how fast can you get your boat up to? <br /><br />You paid 29K out the door right? did the dealer give you any money off on that?<br /><br />when do they release the new 2004 models? or if they are out already when did they release them? just trying to get a feel for around what time a year the new models start showing up..

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Newtoboatsman, 29K was out the door, Not exactly sure when the new models come out. Should not be too long though, I believe I got the last 5.7 that my dealer had on his lot. <br /><br />Another thing you may wish to consider, I prefered the MPI (Multi port fuel injection) over carburator.<br /><br />You can E mail me at GodsBeast@cox.net if you wish, I will answer any questions I can.<br /><br />I however, will not be able to answer till after 4 am when I get off work, and get back to my home computer<br /><br />So far to this date, I bent the original Aluminum Prop just before my break in hours were finished, (After the break in hours, "20 hrs") and with that prop clocked mine at 45MPH by radar, with all my gear, 6 people, and 35 gallons of gas on board. I have been trying to get the right Stainless Steel Prop setup. I was advised by my dealer and another Owner of a 2705 Odyssey with my same Motor, Outdrive and Prop, that he was doing in the 50's with 6 people on board that 27 footer. We are currently checking into the possibility that I may have a slight problem with fuel pressure, and might need a little adjustment. My dealer is also giving me trim set tips, and over the phone, made me realize that I have my weight distributed improperly, for top speed. I am waiting for Saturday to try out some of the tips, I just learned. I was informed that my rig should run into the 50's with 2 people and a full 24 gallons of fuel, and the normal standard equipment on board. Even with all my extra's, (Extra fuel cans, gear, etc.) I was told I should at least run between (45 and 50). The dealer would love to check the boat out for me, and advised that I could take it to any Mercruiser Dealer for Warranty work, (which I have a dealer within 10 to 12 miles that can do it) Right now I am going to try out the tips, put back on the regular Aluminum Prop, and Radar it again Saturday, and report back to them. The guys at Montgomery Marine, really know these boats, and really take the time to assist you with questions. I hope what ever dealer you do business with (no matter the brand) gives you the service that these guys do. <br /><br />Gotta get back to work, GodsBeast

squale

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what sort of prop does the boat come with? and are you trying to put a different (better) prop on the boat to get more speed out of it?<br /><br />how did you bend your stock prop already? hit something in the water?

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Newtoboatsman, The boat came equiped with a 17 pitch Aluminum Prop. Down here in Louisiana, most boats you see WILL HAVE a STAINLESS STEEL Prop on it. I wanted to put SS on the boat, hoping it would increase speed, as well as handle striking miminal trash in the water, and I'd have the Aluminum for a spare. Bending the Aluminum at 16/18 hrs it was obvious that the Aluminum was not going to be the right one for these water conditions.<br /><br />I brought up the Thread "New Prop Advise Wanted" Click on that thread and it will give you all the specific numbers if your interested.<br /><br />I originally thought I may have bumped a piece of floating tree limb, or bumped a muddy bottom and bent the prop blade at around 16 to 18 hrs. The guy that owns the 2705 Odyssey, contacted me and advised that this motor has so much torque, that it was possible that when putting the power to it, that the blades will flex, and if that blade struck something during that flex, that is all it would have taken to put a slight bend in that blade. I have had that prop re-shaped and it is carried for a spare on the boat, with an extra nut and keeper. <br /><br />My dealer also wants me to run this Aluminum Prop, this Weekend, after trying some of the tips he told me, so he can make a better call on weather he thinks I may have a fuel pressure problem, or, it was mostly weight distribution problems, etc.<br /><br />So, here is the dealer, even 7 hours away, doing everything he can to find any problems, and give any advise to get full performance. <br /><br />After all this, once I've got the boat set up just right, I'll probably do most of my cruising between 2200 and 3100 RPM's, nice, quiet, comfortable ride. If your running WOT all the time, folks complain your loosing their Caps, messing up their hair, spilling their drinks, and they can't light their cigarettes! :D The Gas pumps will love you also.

livebait

Seaman Apprentice

Newtoboatsman, I am at the stage in life I could no longer manage the physical requirements needed to load and unload the larger pontoon boats I have enjoyed in the past. But I am no where near ready to give up my love of fishing, so in the spring I sold my 27 Foot and went looking for something I could manage.<br /> What I found was a Bennington 165si, a 16 foot model, I am having it fitted with a Yamaha 50 hp two stroke, a Waco galvanized trailer with spare tire thrown in. Out the door $12,500.00, the construction and warranty was what I was looking for in a smaller pontoon that I could handle. I hope this helps, Captains Choice Marina in Leesville South Carolina, George warren is the sales rep.

squale

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey godsbeast.. I was wondering couple of things..<br /><br />1.) How much do those props cost? and are they regular maintence to replace a prop like every year or something?<br /><br />2.) How much does it cost you in gas.. figure for like a day out, I don't know how many hours that is.. and how long the engine is running.. but give me an estimate..? plus how much is gas by the gallon? Is the gas the same as automobile gas.. you know 89 90 93 Octane?