canoe outrigger

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class
now that I have used my 19' grumman/6 hp evinrude on a Yukon river float trip- I am exploring the possability of attaching a detachable outrigger for use on more open [ but still sheltered] water.It could be either sailed, or powered.<br /> Would you have an outrigger off just one side,Hawiian style, or would you have it on both sides?Any experiance/comments?

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: canoe outrigger

I think I would put it on one side, is seems like there would be a lot less stress that way. The boat could rock in the waves instead of being lifted.

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

putting an outrigger off one side would put more stress on the struts, than if mounted on both sides[ which would also lift the canoe].I was thinking if I mounted it on one side, the struts would have to be braced pretty well, probably attached to a thwart.Making it strong, yet removable would be a challenge.Likely I would make the mounting bracket perminent, and fasten the strut with wing nuts.<br /> I would also think with an outrigger, installing a sail would become a viable option.<br /> Any experiance with this setup would be appreciated.

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was looking at the plans once for one. It used a single pontoon attached to built in brackets held in place with wing nuts. It also showed a sail set up using a side board instead of a centerboard. Looked like a good all around set up.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Cabelas sells something called canoe stabilizer floats. They hang out on both sides of the canoe. I don't think they normally touch the water, but are supposed to keep the canoe from flipping. Having been been flipped by high winds & a broadside wave, I'm glad I didn't have an outboard to get wet & that it wasn't cold when I went in.

Bondo

Staff member

The Absolute Best, Easiest, Most Portable, Stable, Etc....<br /><br />2 Canoes...<br />2 2X4s, 8'long....<br />8 21" Bungee Straps....<br /><br />Lash the canoes together using the 2X4s,+ bungees around the thwarts... mount your 6hp between the canoes....<br />Your Good to Go, Even into some reasonably Rough water....

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to paddle in the Hawaiian style outriggers. I don't think they would be the best for what you want. Sailing would be limited to one tack only and part of our practice was dedicated to recovering from a "Hoolio" (capsize). They are a great, fast racing canoe and teams take them out into huge waves but they probably won't do what you want that well.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just noticed you're posting from Victoria. Is that Victoria, B.C.? If so, try contacting the False Creek Racing Canoe Club (Vancouver) or Lotus (Port Moody) to see about going for a paddle in one. Lots of experience at both clubs.