uniflite boats bellingham, washington

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
i'm not sure i have the right name for this company. i do know the location is right though.
the boat is a 31' hard top sedan bridge style and i was told this company all so made river boats for the navy.
this boat is made out of fire proof fiber glass and stoped a marina fire that burned 3 sliped boats and stoped when it got to the slip this boat was in. this makes me believe the military connection is true
i has twin 454 crusader's now, but came out in 1969 and had 440 Chrysler's. V D transmissions but no sea water pumps. cooling water comes to motors direct from thru hull clam shells.

i'm sure some one out there knows these boats and any help you can offer me in finding out more will be appreciated

gss036

Commander
Re: ideal craft boats bellingham, washington

Re: ideal craft boats bellingham, washington

I would suspect that the boat you refer to was made by Uniflite and they have been out of business for quite a few years. I am now familiar with the exact boat but they made all the river boats for Vietnam conflict.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
Re: uniflite boats bellingham, washington

i'm sure your right. uniflite sounds like what i remember reading on it.
i have no idea how i turned that into ideal craft.
will edit thread

the boat i'm looking at reminds me a lot of the tolly craft boats that i have seen.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

with gss's help was able to find this
The Navy recognized Uniflite's exceptional abilities to build with fiberglass, as the following photo indicates. At the left is a 31 foot Uniflite cruiser, one the most popular models. The Navy, in desperate need of a fleet of craft to patrol rivers in Vietnam scoured the country for a suitable hull. It selected the Uniflite 31 and gave the company a contract to construct several hundred river patrol craft. The following picture is taken in Bellingham Bay very near the Uniflite site.

this is a pic of the boat i'm looking at.

gss036

Commander

It was a really big fire when all the building burnt and destroyed all the building. The site was rebuilt and another builder came and went, then ACB (?) came in they are now building military craft in several designs w/aluminum chambers along with pleasure boats which are very expensive.

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there might be a club or another forum out there for those boats, I know they are very well thought of.