Changing to Rotary steering

jeffrayy

Cadet
I bought a new (to me) boat and the steering cable was frozen. I removed the old rack and pinion system and I want to order a new rotary system. Can anyone tell me the difference between the Teleflex safe-t quick connect system ($161.49 on iboats)and the Teleflex no feed back system ($124.94 on iboats).

The boat is 15' fiberglass fishing boat with mercury 85 horse motor.

Thanks in advance for anything you can add.

pduquette

Ensign
Re: Changing to Rotary steering

Hi Jefferyy . This spring I swapped out the old cable steering for the Teleflex safety QC . I use an 1980 Johnson on my 1961 MFG ..a 15fter also .
The swap was fairley easy , the only fabrication required was to compensate for using the orriginal bezel under the orriginal steering wheel . I could have used the one provided but it didn't look right to me. Notes : 1)Steering wheel is not included - but my 1961 Curtis Wright works . 2) I needed a link arm as I didnt get one when I got my used motor , and this part is not in the kit too .
Has worked great all season , easy to steer handles my 50hp well . peter

jeffrayy

Cadet

Thanks for the reply!

Is there an other ideas out there. I will probably order the kit this afternoon.:)

frwhlr38

Seaman

I am also wondering bout this as my 75 larson has the old cable system and i have a 50 hp merc im thinking it would be a better system:)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Wondering why you would go from a rack n pinion backward to a rotary system? Usually, people upgrade to the rack n pinion from the rotary.
Only reason not to use the rack n pinion, is if there is not enough room under the dash.

Member frwhlr38 refers to an "old cable system". Do you mean a cable and pulley system?

jeffrayy

Cadet

Well, I am new to boating and for some reason I was under the impression that the rotary system was the way most people went. I have plenty of room for the rack and pinion. It had a 15.5 ft. Detmar rack and pinion system that was totally frozen. I guess maybe I should re-think my original decision?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have found that any of the rotary systems are much more user friendly, in installation, maintainance. instead of having to stiff straight ends to try to work thru the hull, and the bends, corners, you have a flexible end, and start threading at the motor end of the boat. i am checking on the price difference.

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

My '75 Arrow Glass had the Detmar rack and pinion. The cable had frozen. But had to replace the helm too because cables are no longer offered that match the Detmar connection. The Detmar was a solid all metal unit and near bullet proof. I hated to have to replace it.

I too wanted rack and pinion, but none were available and I went with the rotary, Teleflex. Installation was pretty easy, but had to fashion some adapters to get the angle right on the dash and had to do some dash sawing to get to fit.

The rotary is very free spooling and the least amount of engine torque will be transmitted back to the helm. So its hands on the wheel at all times. I;ve had in for 2 years now and all is good and turns like power steering. Kinda wish there was a way to add some friction.

jeffrayy

Cadet

Thanks guys. I found it to be very difficult to get the old frozen cable out of the boat. I actually had to cut the cable in order to get it out. Both of the ends were so straight and stiff that it would not snake back trought the hull. It makes sense to have a more flexable end to get through the hull.

I am not as worried about hands free operation. It is just a small fishing boat and I will not be doing much/any crusing in it. If I have the motor down I will be headed somewhere with a purpose.

That being said, should I go with the no feedback system, or the quick connect system? What are the differences/advantages/disadvantages?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can go here: http://www.teleflexmarine.com/steering-us/

Click on "mechanical steering" at the top left

to learn about their steering systems, and decide which is best for you.

On a small boat, it likely doesn't matter much, rotary/rack/NFB/etc, little practical difference. Just get one that will fit behind the dash and you will save yourself some hassle.

hank119

Recruit

The NFB system is designed to eliminate feedback of your prop torque to your steering wheel. It does this with a clutch which which grabs the wheel each time you or the torque steer from your engine tries to turn it. However it releases as you continue to turn the wheel. The net effect is that each time you start to turn the wheel there is resistance which disappears as you continue to turn. The amount of resistance is about a 5 pound load on a 14" diameter wheel which disappears as you continue to turn.

This could be annoying. Especially if you make turns incrementally. If you turn a little stop turning and then turn a little more you'll feel the clutch resistance each time you turn the wheel.

The Safe T QC refers to the standard rotary steering. The QC I believe stands for quick connect which describes the way the steering cable is retained to the spigot of the rotary helm. The Safe T QC II NFB is connected to the cable the same way. The standard system has a simpler helm with two gears. The NFB system has a clutch and I believe is a planetary gear system.

Be aware that these NFB rotary steering systems come as either a 3 turn or 4.2 turn system. The standard system, I believe is a 3 turn system only. You should consider how this characteristic compares with your current system. How many turns of the wheel from stop to stop is your current system? The more turns the greater the mechanical advantage and the less effort to turn the boat. Conversely, the fewer turns the quicker the boat will respond.

I recently re-powered my boat and had the 3 turn NFB system installed. I previously had the standard 3 turn Safe T QC system for about 12 years. I am not completely sold on the NFB sytem but the jury is still out. It takes getting used to.

Elsewhere on this site there is a thread on the NFB system. I would check that. Lots of pros and cons to confuse you.

jeffrayy

Cadet

Wow, I guess there is more to consider. I think since it is just 15' footer I will probably take the simple way out. It sounds like with the NFB system there are more parts to eventualy foul up and cause a problem. I just don't think that the feedback will be that big a problem.

Thanks so much for all the info. I am sure I will be back when I move on to the next part of the boat!

gdombroski

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It says on the box NFB (and website) not for inboards/IO's. Its for outboards.

fishrdan

Admiral

I went with the NFB as my old boat would torque steer bad coming up onto plane. And, if I was trolling and didn't keep my hand on the wheel at all times or the boat would start to go in a circle. Not that I condone not having your hand on the wheel...

I haven't used the NFB on the water yet, but overcoming the clutch isn't that bad, a little push and it unlocks.

It says on the box NFB (and website) not for inboards/IO's. Its for outboards.

NFB's can be used on I/O's. I'm not sure why Teleflex put "Outboard Steering" on the boxes when some of them can be used on I/O's, probably a loose term to identify what's in the box. Check out their application chart.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/library/marketingaids/Teleflex%20Steering%20Quick%20Ref%20Hanging%20Card(faxable).pdf