Looking for first boat

ctwillie

Recruit
Hi folks, I need your input, please....

I am looking for my first boat and have found a 2004 Cobia 194 center console. It is in good condition, has a Suz 140 4 stroke and is for sake for abotu $15,000.

I have always had good impressions of Cobia boats but was wondering if anyone had advice, suggestions, words of caution, etc...

I am also looking at Parker, Scout, and McKee. Would love to have a Whaler but they apparently think too much of themselves if price is any indication.

Thanks in advance.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for first boat

I'm going to move this to the general boating section as these manufacturer sections don't see a lot of action.....

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

nice boat and very solid motor.
Any pics? Hours?
I trust you will have it surveyed.
A Parker WA is in my future someday,,extend thr fishing season and room for a head and away form the weather.
Scout and Mckee also nice choices.
BW's are good but overated and over priced in my opinion.
I go out on my buddies 18' Outrage and it pounds in comparison to mine,,heavy hulls,,happy knees

ctwillie

Recruit

nice boat and very solid motor.
Any pics? Hours?
I trust you will have it surveyed.
A Parker WA is in my future someday,,extend thr fishing season and room for a head and away form the weather.
Scout and Mckee also nice choices.
BW's are good but overated and over priced in my opinion.
I go out on my buddies 18' Outrage and it pounds in comparison to mine,,heavy hulls,,happy knees
lprizman:

Thanks for the input. I am very early on in the process so I've not had it surveyed but certainly will.

The link for the boat, with pics is:

http://www.usedboats.com/boat-ad/display/ad_id/106111396

Thanks again!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That boat is GORGEOUS. I can't really comment much on the price as I haven't done much shopping in that category. Seems a bit high in this economy.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I agree w/Ez..

Great looking boat..BUT it is 8 years old. How many hours on the motor?
Is this a dealer? Taxes, title & reg?

I don't know what she listed for brand new...But really REALLY think it's about 6k over priced (or more), or 6k more than I would be willing to spend..

Used is Used, dealer or not..Take a look at some private party ads, do some more research, if ya have the $$ and are OK with the price, fine.
I think you can do a little bet better

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat looks clean and all the Cobias I've seen appear well built. Agreed the price is a bit high. Maybe $11K on the high end if everything checks out. That boat will be a bit slow however as Cobias are farily heavy and that 140 rating is in 4-stroke HP. It'd probably run similar to my 18 Wellcraft with its 115 Johnson. Mid to high 20s cruise in the mid 4k rpm range. You could do as I do however and just run the stink out of it. Motors can be replaced.