Rod holder question

Glastrontizz

Seaman Apprentice
I want to install two rod holders on my 1985 Glastron. The problem is that the rails are filled with foam and I have no way to put a backing plate on the mount. Will something like a drywall anchor work on fiberglass with foam backing it? I plan to troll with these holders so they need to be pretty strong. Thanks

puddle jumper

Captain
Re: Rod holder question

I guess it comes down to the size of fish you are fishing for.

salty26

Cadet

I had a similar problem with replacing a fuel filler, if you really want that backing plate you can install a small round access plate on the side walls, they also make stainless toggles that are used for mounting seat post below deck that are very strong and will work as a backing plate, shoot a little 5200 under the rod holder with them and you will be in good shape.

Glastrontizz

Seaman Apprentice

After I drill the hole for the toggle bolt should I scrape out some of the foam or force it in?

Glastrontizz

Seaman Apprentice

Only on the bow. I want to put one by the steering wheel so I can drive and troll.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think the foam will prevent you from using a toggle type fastener. I think you will only be able to screw into the fiberglass with a ss screw. I bet those holders will take a #10 screw, that with some 5200 and I think you would be fine....

salty26

Cadet

If your installing a flush mount rod holder the hole that you will have to drill will be at least 1" 1/2" which will give you plenty of room to scrape out the foam for the toggles.
Drop the rod holder into the hole so it sits flush and is turned to the angle that you want by putting a rod in the holder, mark the screw holes with a pencil, remove the holder, drill the mounting holes, install the toggles, they have long plastic strips attached to them so you can hold them from the top side, shoot some 5200 on the rod holder not the deck, slide it into place and bolt it down, it will be as strong as you can get it.

Glastrontizz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies. My rod holders a side mounts. I want to install a few mounts and then I can move the holders where I want when fishing

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

not sure what you mean--just the straight up and down holders? If so just screw in to the side. The pressure will be sideways to the screw so it should hold fine; flush-mounts put pressure in the same direction as the screw.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

What type of screw would you use?

I like to use these....dont have alot of history with them but they seem to work really well so far.

roundshankforbrittleplastics.gif

"Round-Shank for Brittle Plastics and Wood
Fasten brittle materials such as phenolic plastic without causing damage. Have alternating high and low threads. Also known as high-low screws. "

I like to use Mcmaster Carr for hardware...have tons of choices and great pics and descriptions

Glastrontizz

Seaman Apprentice

Ended up using toggle bolts and 3M 5200. They seem really strong and will report back after next weekend. Thanks

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Be sure to state accurately the size of the fish!

BTW one trick for screwing into fiberglass is to use a tap and die and thread the hole