Lenco Trim ????

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,,,,,,,
I recently purchased a used Fisher 14' with a Yamaha 50 at a great price. It is equiped with Lenco Trim Tabs that are a must with this boat due to the size of the boat & back end heavy. The trim tab thing is new to me, but they work great. The trouble I'm having, is I'm Disabled and my right hand is very very limited & I can't hit both bow up or down buttons at the same time. I'm running this boat with the motor all the way at Bow Down position with Motor Trim button then trying to use the Lenco's......... Is it possible to just put Bow Down to "Max" with the Lenco's then use the "One" Switch for the Yamaha Trim to accomplish the same thing. One switch is much easier for me.
P.S.,,, the picture shows a 40HP Cowling, trust me it's a 50HP... I have original 50HP cowling..:D
DSC01095.jpg

DSC01089.jpg

DSC01085-1.jpg

DSC01084.jpg

Last edited:

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lenco Trim ????

It is probably not too dificult for a decent technician to add a pair of buttons that add a "both" function. Either by adding two relays or a couple of diodes to isolate them. I can't comment any more beyond that because I have no specific knowledge of your precise system, but I am sure it can be done.

TerryMSU

QC

Supreme Mariner

Bennett used to make a single joystick control for their tabs. Most prefer the rockers like you have, but the Bennett guys might know where you could find one. Seems like a simple solution if the switches are compatible.

To answer your operation question. You can put the trim tabs in any position you want and then use the motor/drive trim. That is effectively what I do once I am at a comfortable cruising speed. Set the tabs for the conditions and then use motor/drive trim to micro control.

I don't know your boat, but I would rarely leave the tabs full bow down though. With my tabs full down I can trim the drive up and not get much, if any, attitude change. I would suggest that you find some point where the tabs and the boat like the ride etc, and then use the single trim button of the control handle as I believe you wanted. Again, I could be wrong, but I just don't believe full bow down is good and maybe even unsafe except at minimum planing speeds or to control bow wander at displacement speeds.

Good luck.

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bennett used to make a single joystick control for their tabs. Most prefer the rockers like you have, but the Bennett guys might know where you could find one. Seems like a simple solution if the switches are compatible.

To answer your operation question. You can put the trim tabs in any position you want and then use the motor/drive trim. That is effectively what I do once I am at a comfortable cruising speed. Set the tabs for the conditions and then use motor/drive trim to micro control.

I don't know your boat, but I would rarely leave the tabs full bow down though. With my tabs full down I can trim the drive up and not get much, if any, attitude change. I would suggest that you find some point where the tabs and the boat like the ride etc, and then use the single trim button of the control handle as I believe you wanted. Again, I could be wrong, but I just don't believe full bow down is good and maybe even unsafe except at minimum planing speeds or to control bow wander at displacement speeds.

Good luck.

Thx for info,,,,I'll check on the Bennet single switch you refered to. I've read extensively on the "Smart Trim Tabs" in here & they seem like a great option for me to eliminate the twin button problem I'm having....just trim engine which is no problem.
P.S. I won't try full Bow Down since you said it's not a good idea.

QC

Supreme Mariner

P.S. I won't try full Bow Down since you said it's not a good idea.
Just to clarify. Full bow down is AWESOME for absolute minimum planing speed. Not so much for higher speeds . . . ;)

Jeep Man

Commander

Being an electronic technician, I can assure you that it do-able and is not difficult. If you have a friend or acquantenance that knows basic electronics, they could make the swap for you. There are a few ways to do this. The simpliest is to replace the 2 single pole double throw (SPDT)switches with one double pole double throw (DPDT) switch. Both tabs will then work together without having to complicate the wiring. The switch should be available at any electric/electronic supplier. Make sure you get one with a heavy enough contact to handle the power load of the tab motors.

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Being an electronic technician, I can assure you that it do-able and is not difficult. If you have a friend or acquantenance that knows basic electronics, they could make the swap for you. There are a few ways to do this. The simpliest is to replace the 2 single pole double throw (SPDT)switches with one double pole double throw (DPDT) switch. Both tabs will then work together without having to complicate the wiring. The switch should be available at any electric/electronic supplier. Make sure you get one with a heavy enough contact to handle the power load of the tab motors.
Thx Jeep,,,just printed your response off and I'll look at the one double poll switch idea, I do have someone that I can talk to about this...

P.S,, I like your screen name"JEEP MAN"...below is what I a year ago,, had a ball on the Rocks.. but, wife hated it soooooooooo it had to go.
2007-09-23-JRU-0751024x768.jpg

2007-09-23-JRU-0621024x768.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

First, I can't see how trim tabs are a "must" on a 14' boat; I'd say it's overkill. So is a 50--what does your hull plate say?
But since you already have them: use the trim tabs to adjust your hull laterally (port to starboard) and the motor's trim on the length (bow to stern).
Or make a handle you can push across both buttons at once--a wooden bar with two chair-bottom tacks sticking out.

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First, I can't see how trim tabs are a "must" on a 14' boat; I'd say it's overkill. So is a 50--what does your hull plate say?But since you already have them: use the trim tabs to adjust your hull laterally (port to starboard) and the motor's trim on the length (bow to stern).
Or make a handle you can push across both buttons at once--a wooden bar with two chair-bottom tacks sticking out.

***Cookin*** The plate says (45hp) but bought the boat with the 50 on it and with a 40hp cowling already on it(I have the orginal 50hp Cowling). I worked on the Tab Switch location problem yesterday, and decided to move it to (Top Left Side of Console). I moved my fish finder to the middle & mounted the Tab Switch there. Perfect position & view looking down on them, I reach with my good left hand & have full view /control of both Tab Buttons now..(Fixed).
DSC01098.jpg