Steering cable stuck in rotary box

djbdjb

Cadet
I'm trying to remove my steering cable for replacement. It's a rotary type at the helm. I have inserted the pin and got the cable to feed out by rotating the wheel, but it won't come all of the way out so I can remove it. Am I missing something or is there a trick to it?

Thanks,
Don

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Steering cable stuck in rotary box

disconnect at the motor first, so the cable has room to move.

djbdjb

Cadet

I have it disconnected at the motor, in fact I removed the entire steering assembly from the helm so I can work on it easier, it just won't come out.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If I understand you right, the outer cable housing is free from the helm. You can probably also see some of the coiled inner cable exposed too, no?

My guess is that the end of the core is buggered up, so have someone turn the wheel while pulling on the cable and it should come free.

If not, feed the cable back in, remove the plastic tube that holds the end of the core where it comes out the other side of the helm, and cut it off (bolt cutter). Then back the whole thing back out normally.

djbdjb

Cadet

That is correct, the outer cable housing is free from the helm and I have about 8" of coiled looking inner cable exposed. I'll try pulling it a bit harder now that I know it should just pull out, if not, I'll cut it as you suggest.
Thanks for the help guys.

Don

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

BTW, depending on the year of the helm, some have the back screwed on. Try removing the back cover and see what is hanging up the cable. If the gears are chewed up, then it needs to be replaced as there are no replacement parts available (from Teleflex). If the cable is messed up and jammed, it might come out without damaging the gears.

Its a simple set of planetary gears. Nothing pops out if you take it apart.

204Angler

Seaman

Take the back plate off the helm. Then you can remove the planetary. When you replace it, replace everything...helm and cable

djbdjb

Cadet

I got it, thank you for all of the suggestions. The gears in the helm were bad. It's all good because I'm getting a new helm with the cable anyway.