• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winterizing Inboard with No Antifreeze

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing Inboard with No Antifreeze

I've got and old mechanic friend who is going to help me winterize my inboard Crusader tomorrow. He insists that antifreeze is not necessary as long as you get all the water out of the engine and anywhere else. He's never does it and he has lots of toys and is very knowledgeable, but it makes me very nervous. Is he right?

If I do use antifreeze, is the pink stuff enough to protect it. I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

thanks ahead of time....................romertrain

Re: Winterizing Inboard with No Antifreeze

as long as all the waters out of the block, go for it air dont freeze up and crack blocks.
    remember to clean out the drain holes as they can plug with rust, chunks, etc
    and possibly, try a shop vac to pull any extras out. did you read the how to winterize sticky
    rob
    home is where we drop anchor

Comment

I haven't used anti-freeze either, as long as you get all the water out. I agree, read the Sticky In the "Mercruiser,Omc,Volvo, & Other I/O & Inboard engines&outdrives" forum. Click on the "Adults Only" This should help you get started.
      sigpic

1991 Bayliner Capri 2050CX,4.3L V6,Mercarb 2bbl,Alpha 1
      (QUOTE): When our boat is happy, THEN we are Happy

Comment

It seems people worry about the little residual water left in the nooks and crannys of the far reaches of the block and therefore the antifreeze, I've never done anything but drain the water and Ohio's gets it's share of the deep freeze.
        Little pockets of water I'm sure do get left behind and freeze but it's not enough to hurt anything, open air corrosion would be my primary concern not freeze-up, but my motor drinks freshwater so corrosion doesn't concern me too much.
        '90 Chaparral 2000SL
        5.8 Cobra
        '67 MFG Westfield Regal
        80hp V-4
        (No private messages)

Comment

I've got and old mechanic friend who is going to help me winterize my inboard Crusader tomorrow. He insists that antifreeze is not necessary as long as you get all the water out of the engine and anywhere else. He's never does it and he has lots of toys and is very knowledgeable, but it makes me very nervous. Is he right?
          Ayuh,... He sure is Right,.... Listen to the man,... ya might learn something,....
          He already knows, Air just Don't Freeze.....
          Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Working...
          X