Verticle Hoist Sling Lifting Points?

jfharper

Cadet
I have a 1983 Lowe 16B (Bass) Catcher Pro. Net Wt. 530 lbs., 4 persons or 490, for a total load cap. 920, 16" 0' length, beam 64", transom ht. 20".

I need to figure out where the lifting points will go. This will be for lifting the boat using a cable hoist and nylon slings w/shackles attached to the boat at it's lifting points.

Vessel lifting points must have backing plates with minimum dimensions of 3? x 3?x 1/8?. Stainless steel plates are recommended.

So do I buy this lifting hardware. I know I have to buy the slings and shackles, but the thing the shackle attaches to that is mounted to the boat, do I have to buy that, or have it made? Also, how do I determine where these are mounted on the boat.

Any help here or direction would be greatly appreciated...thanks again.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Verticle Hoist Sling Lifting Points?

I say for finding the lifting points, id go to a marina that has a "A" frame strap lift and ask them how they do it. They may be able to give you advise on the hardware also.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

can you just run the straps under the boat instead?

If this rig is going to be for storage, rather than repairs, bear in mind that a boat can warp if hung from lifting points. I saw it happen once with a nice 20' fiberglass boat; the owner kept it lifted out of the water in a boathouse from the bow and stern eyes. He died, and it sat for a couple of years until his widow donated to an organization I was with. Ended up too warped to be used.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Bow and stern eyes are not proper lifting points.

To lift a boat with no straps under it you need to have very solid lifting rings on the deck that tie into the structure of the boat. Older inboards used to always have lifting eyes on the fore deck and rear near the transom. These were usually very substantial and designed intentionally for lifting.

To lift a relatively small light aluminum fishing boat doesn't sound too difficult. However, I think the only way to do it safely is to have straps go under the boat.

jfharper

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. Nope, not for storage, for pier launch, and it cannot be under the boat, has to be via eye hooks with backing plates (specs above). I contacted the state park and they told me of a place to go. I'd prefer to do it myself to save the labor and markup cost, but I don't know if that is possible.

All I need it the right setup for it to pass the state parks' vessel inspection.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

So this is the type of launch where you need to lift the boat off the trailer and then place it in the water?

I have no idea where the proper place to put the lifting eyes would be on your boat. Maybe you could talk to the place that was recommended to see if they can tell you a good place to attach them to. Maybe you could provide some pictures of the boat so we can give you options/opinions.

jfharper

Cadet

OK, I contacted the recommended place, and the guy was very understanding. I told him, up front, we were under a limited budget and that my intention was not avoid the labor rate, I just couldn't cover it, and my only option is to do the work myself. He was very helpful and understanding. He said I could do with a 3 point setup. U bolts with backing plates would be bolted in. 2 on the back (I think he might have said stern, or back sides...I don't know) and one on the bow, if I had access to the bow. He said try to go as high as possible, without going on the top rail. I asked if welding would be required, he said no, unless the bow one didn't look strong enough to the inspector and they wanted it reinforced, then they may send me back with that addition. There is an access panel on the bow that I can remove to access the bow. He said the strongest part of the boat is the center bottom up towards the bow.

jfharper

Cadet

Here is a guy who has a boat identical to mine.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=187780
Scroll down, you can see how under the trolling motor, the panel can be removed...mine has bolts to remove the panel...shouldn't be too hard to manipulate.

I found the u bolts, here.

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/ATT/ATT33963.html

I haven't found the backing plates yet.

The guy said 3/8" u bolts would be sufficient becuase they are rated at 2400 lbs. The specs for the hoist are supposed to be twice the max load rate. My max load rate is 920 lbs, so 2400 should be plenty. The boat guy also said he rigs boats rated for 4000 lbs, so my boat will be a very light setup. Especially since no persons are allowed in the boat when lifting, so the boat rate is probably going to be closer to the actual un loaded weight when lifting, which will be 520 lbs. UNLESS, the 520 lbs doesnt include the motor. I have a USCG rivetted panel that says all this information, including max hp motor up to 60 hp. So are they factoring a 60 hp engine into the 520 wt? Or is the 920 wt to include the boat, 4 persons or 490 lbs, and the motor? Is the boat by itself really 520lbs? I'm a bit confused on this point

So for the stern,

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

You need to take some pics of your boat being lauched, would be interesting to see.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Most of us call them Transom Eyes and Bow Eyes. You should already have a Bow Eye that fits the bill. What do you hook your sinch strap to when you trailer? That should be sufficent for lifting. Do you use transom straps to tied down the stern of your boat, or do you have a strap that goes all the way across your boat? If you use transom straps, what do you hook them to on your boat?

jfharper

Cadet

I'll try and take some pics...might be a while though, as I have to go thru a cert process before running the hoist...would be cool though.

Well, the transome eyes and bow eyes are on the outside of the boat...the hoist will have a center hook above the boat, so the slings/shackles will have to attach to inside the boat. The vessel inspector won't pass the boat otherwise. The u bolts (or eyes) have to be inside, where the shackles, slings (3 legs, two for stern and one for bow) attach inside the boat and go up to a larger shackle attached to the hoist. This is the only way it will pass inspection.

I think I'm wrapping my mind around this project. I'll need to attach two u bolts to the stern (inside) and one to the bow (inside), then once I get the hardware attached with proper backing plates, I have a tractor or maybe a come-a-long to lift the boat to determine the center point. I'll have to use chains to adjust the lengths of each leg so the boat will raise level, or perhaps just a bit bow high. Then, I'll need to measure the chains after adjusting and dialing it all in, and order the web slings (ANSI rated) accordingly...perhaps the two stern will be 8 footers, and the bow will be 10 foot, or something like that. This is taking into account the motor ('81 35 hp evinrude) 2 6 gal gas tanks and battery, and front decking, wieght going to be distributed accordingly all based on the center point, for level-ness.

The only other option is to have a shop do the work, but the budget would exceed what my friend and I have to spend, so we would have to get 2 other guys to pitch in, and that may add a lot more future issues, we were trying to aviod, just so the end result stays free and simply.

If anyone knows, or has any other tidbits, please reply...I could use all the advice, no matter how minor, I could get. Thanks again.