Bilge cleaner

Georooney

Seaman
Hi all,

I picked up some stuff called Hyseas Bilge Cleaner from my local marine shop, intending to clean up the bilge in my 17' Marinex welded aluminum fishing boat before I put it away for the winter. So, here's my question:

The cautionary stuff on the jug says it contains potassium hydroxide (KOH); advises using rubber gloves, safety goggles and maybe a face shield. I'm wondering what the KOH is going to do to the aluminum? I know that its cousin, sodium hydroxide, is death on aluminum.

I put some of the concentrated bilge cleaner into a glass jar with a piece of scrap aluminum as a test. It fizzed for awhile at first (hydrogen gas released?), then stopped. After a day I rinsed the aluminum and looked at it; it was shiny and seemed to maybe have very tiny corrosion marks (although I can't say for sure). There was no serious visible damage. To be fair, the instructions say to use 8 ounces for a 20' boat, so it sure wouldn't be as concentrated as in the test.

So, what does everybody think? Is it safe?

BTW, as to environmental concerns, I won't be pumping it overboard!

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bilge cleaner

soap and hot water plus scrub brush is ecco friendly to, but a lot of work:D
rob

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I have had really good sucess with the lanolin no water hand cleaners from the local auto parts stores..
Cuts cold grease easily, safe, bio friendly....just dab a sponge and get on it.

Some guys also pour some dawn dishsoap in the bilge, and a bucket o water and go boating to agitate it..lol how much fun can ya have cleaning??

gdombroski

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some guys also pour some dawn dishsoap in the bilge, and a bucket o water and go boating to agitate it

SpicNSpan powder works great used as above.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

GOOD LORD! Is it legal to sell that product? Anything that tells me I need to be in a hazmat suit to use, I won't buy.

Seems a bit serious for a bilge, eh?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

There are alot of products that cuts grease, I used Mr. Clean orange cleaner and it did great in the bilge area and everywhere else that was white fiberglass, sparkling clean again and I didn't even wear gloves, but the boat was as good and clean and was very happy with the results. I poured it in with a 2gal bucket of hot water and let it set for a minute and grabbed a rag and went to work.

Georooney

Seaman

Thanks, guys. I agree that this product is suspect, and was wondering if anybody else here has had any experience with it. I asked the distributor for the MSDS for it, and got a generic form back.....no mention of the product name or potassium hydroxide content.

I think I'll get a bottle of Simple Green or some such thing.