What is best vinyl cleaner?

jam090909

Recruit
We just bought an older boat. SWEET shape, but vinyl a little dirty. Not bad, mind you, but enough to make me want to clean it well, then use a protectant on it before storing for end of season.

What is the best cleaner to use before applying protectant? (I'm not a fan of cleaners/protectants combined) There are so many different Marine vinyl cleaners out there, and all claim to be the best one to use.

I thought it best to get the opinion of those who actually USE them! LOL

Thanks!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What is best vinyl cleaner?

I use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and then 303 Protectant. :)

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah the magic eraser is supposed to be the "be all, end all" for cleaning. Haven't used it yet but many members on here swear by it.

Also, the 303 - don't forget it. Stuff was $16 a 16oz. bottle at the local marina store, I was like, no way am I paying that.

But then I started thinking, used sparingly, I'd go through a bottle a year. Isn't $16 a year worth it to keep your upholstery in the best condition it can be?

So yeah, once I thought about it like that, I spent the $16.

Y-Guy

Seaman

303 is all I use anymore, as said it doesn't take much. I use it on my motorhome, cars, ATVs and now boat (clean it tonight). I've had the bottle for a year now and still have plenty to go. Cabelas was about the cheapest I found, back when GI Joes was around they had it for like 12, but Cabelas has the 16oz for $14.99.

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use Starbrite vinyl shampoo and a plastic bristled brush. My vinyl is blinding white. And I agree with using 303 Protectant afterwards. Good stuff.

salty87

Commander

mr clean magic erasers area also taking off the outer layer of uv protection and plasticizers that keep the vinyl soft. they're like sandpaper...crack for boat seats.

a mild soap with a soft bristled brush will clean and not degrade the vinyl. wipe the grime off with micro fiber towel. followed by 303 protectant. exposure to the sun will fade most stains.

this is what 303 says about cleaning vinyl: http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=206