Will these bow navigation lights be legal?

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is your opinion? I'm putting my trolling motor right in the center of the boat, where a bow light usually goes. Plus, I dont want to spend $30 on a plastic light when I already have green and red 12V LEDs.

So my question is will this keep me "legal" if I put the lights on like the picture (assuming you can see the LEDs from a mile away)? Should I put them closer to the sides or keep them in the center, or does this just plain not comply with nav light regulations?

It's a 14' tri-hull tiller

Thanks!

Attachments

• nav lights.JPG
    nav lights.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Will these bow navigation lights be legal?

Navigation lights port/starboard lights are only meant to be seen at the same time when in front or head on with your vessel, when they are on your port side then they should only see the red, When they are on the starb. side of the vessel then they should only be able to see the green, Understand? The port/starb navigation lights are 1/4 of a circle "L"

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

I mounted some on my pontoon, one of each on the front and side corners. Cut slots in the rub rail and mounted them so they can't be hit by anything and yes, they are really bright!!
I'm working on a way to mount some bright white ones on the bimini bows for night fishing.
Mike

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah, I get it. So I can still do this but I just have to get them close together and put a barrier between them. I can handle that.

It's going to be just as hard to install a premade light as it is to put two LEDs on my boat.

Navigation lights port/starboard lights are only meant to be seen at the same time when in front or head on with your vessel, when they are on your port side then they should only see the red, When they are on the starb. side of the vessel then they should only be able to see the green, Understand? The port/starb navigation lights are 1/4 of a circle "L"

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Seperate port and starboard lights of the correct lumens are available, so if your LEDs are one of those Coast Guard approved lights, then yes, they are legal.

Bifflefan

Commander

I think id go right on the bow corners with the lights. then you have good side sight and also head on site.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cat fish forums say to use green lights when you're fishing, as it doesn't scare the fish. your eyes get accustomed to them rather easily. I'm going to run at least two green LEDs facing downward at my feet on either side of the boat so I can see without using a headlamp.

I mounted some on my pontoon, one of each on the front and side corners. Cut slots in the rub rail and mounted them so they can't be hit by anything and yes, they are really bright!!
I'm working on a way to mount some bright white ones on the bimini bows for night fishing.
Mike

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, I dont think they would be legal. Not sure why they have to be together. just need more visibility to port and starboard

bekosh

Lieutenant

Let's go straight to the source.
Navigation Rule 21 & Arcs of visibility
b) "Sidelights" means a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on its respective side. In a vessel of less than 20 meters in length the sidelights may be combined in one lantern carried on the fore and aft centerline of the vessel, except that on a vessel of less than 12 meters in length the sidelights when combined in one lantern shall be placed as nearly as practicable to the fore and aft centerline of the vessel.

The red/green do not need to be together, in fact only on boats less than 20 meters (60ish feet) are combined lights allowed. They just have to be visible over the correct arcs. I've seen a lot of toons with the lights at each corner of the bow and larger cruisers where they are well back from the bow on each side.

I do not think your planned location will work. They would not be visible around the side far enough.
Put a set of these on top of the gunnels on each corner.
http://www.iboats.com/Attwood_LED_S...1393972--**********.983441494--view_id.366686

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Let's go straight to the source.
Navigation Rule 21 & Arcs of visibility

That makes me wonder if mine are legal in the factory location. And my anchor light is on the bow. All my other boats have had it on the stern. Can you spot my lights?
IMG_1450.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

If they are not together you must have a center mounted stern light. If they are a combined unit then you can have an offset stern light. My boat is technically illegal from the factory as it has an offset stern light and separate bow lights . . .

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Well, my anchor light is on the bow, and it has 2 bulbs, one for the anchor light and one that comes on with the running lights. So I guess that makes me legal.