• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bowrider for the money?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best bowrider for the money?

I'm thinking about buying a new boat. Currently have an 81 Glastron ssv 177. I would like to go with another Glastron, preferably something newer with all fiberglass construction. Are there any other manufacturers who have all fiberglass construction? I'm also wondering about the performance of the 3.0 engines. Are they dogs or will they move. I weigh about 205 and my L6 has no problem with me. It still gets up and will do @40mph depending on the load. I mostly like cruising around the lake and watersports but I also enjoy fishing occasionally. Any boat suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Best bowrider for the money?

What size boat are thinking of? Another 17 footer?

Are you looking at I/Os exclusively?

Glastrons are pretty nice. For the price I don't know if they can be beat actually. There are many brands that make a good durable 17 foot I/O boat.

A short list:

Four Winns
    Larson
    Monterey
    Regal
    Bayliner (yes I said Bayliner, they are actually pretty nice these days)

For value I would probably suggest looking at a new Bayliner and a new Glastron. If you can get a left over model from one of the other other mid level brands you may get a great value.
    RJP
    2004 Four Winns 180 Freedom, 150 HP Evinrude Direct Injection
    1974 Winner 280 Cruiser, t-302 225HP V-drives
    2002 Gheenoe 13', 5HP Nissan 2 stroke
    1981 Four Winns Marquise 180 Cuddy, Mercruiser 165HP I6 -- PROJECT

Comment

Nice list except for Bayliner, what about Sea-Ray?

Boricua 100%
      Deck Restoration
      Swing Away Tongue
      Transom Restoration
      13 X 21 Stiletto SS Prop
      Trailer Crossmember Repair

Comment

Check out the new SSV 175 with the Volvo Penta 3.0. Sailaway price of $13,995.

You could easily do better on the price.

Good luck!
        Rot never sleeps.

Comment

Originally posted by krakatoa View Post
          Nice list except for Bayliner, what about Sea-Ray?
          Have you been in a Bayliner built in the last couple of years. They are vastly improved and on par with Glastron for sure....maybe even a little better in some ways.

As far as vaule is concerned, Bayliner has a serious leg up on their big brother Sea Ray. (They are both Brunswick companies)

Best boat for the money? I wouldn't include Sea Ray on that list. They are piced based on reputation not content. The beauty of being priced on reputation is that new Bayliners are less expensive than they should be.

Don't take me wrong Bayliner is not on par with the upper-mid level boats. They are just far better than they used to be.
          RJP

Comment

How about stingray

Comment

stingrays are ok but I've always thought they were quite ugly.
              Had an older stingray and liked it but they tend to have a narrower beam and pointy bow.
              "Noah was a brave man to sail in a wooden boat with 2 termites."

Comment

I think you need to be more specific regarding size and budget. You can spend 50K on a 21 foot Chris Craft or 18K on a Bayliner in the 20 foot open bow range. I would not waste my time on a 4 banger if you are going any bigger than say an 18 footer. Glastron and Bayliner both make a decent boat boat were you notice a difference is in the parts used and the ride quality. A heavier boat with a good dead rise just rides better in general unless the water is always glass. Depends on how long you are going to keep it as well. Depreciation differences tend to become closer the older a boat gets. A 20 Year old Bayliner and a 20 year old sea ray, are going to sell for pretty close to the same price if they are in the same condition. But the SR owner paid more for the boat when it was new. You can find some sweet 1-3 year old boats right now and pay about half of the new boat price and still get a great boat. That is what I did.
                There is no replacement for displacement

2006 Chaparral 204SSi
                VP 5.0L GXi-F with SX Drive

Comment

[QUOTE=superpop;2317618]I You can find some sweet 1-3 year old boats right now and pay about half of the new boat price and still get a great boat. QUOTE]

Agreed..I did the same here but finding a boat without a loan on it with room to negotiate was the tricky part. Glastron makes a decent boat. Not fantastic or overly opulent but they have really jazzed them up the last couple of years. Construction is still lighter than upper end brands. I have seen them be both horribly overpriced and some of the best deals. Since you are coming from such an old boat, you will be very impressed by most new boats. why not take advantage of the buyers market and get some more HP over the 3.0? I have had a v6 i/o for a year now and forsee growing out of that in another year or two. I would love to be a buyer in this market.
                  2003 Chaparral 183SS

Comment

Originally posted by RotaryRacer View Post
                    Have you been in a Bayliner built in the last couple of years. They are vastly improved and on par with Glastron for sure....maybe even a little better in some ways.

As far as value is concerned, Bayliner has a serious leg up on their big brother Sea Ray. (They are both Brunswick companies)

Best boat for the money? I wouldn't include Sea Ray on that list. They are priced based on reputation not content. The beauty of being priced on reputation is that new Bayliners are less expensive than they should be.

Don't take me wrong Bayliner is not on par with the upper-mid level boats. They are just far better than they used to be.
                    Huh? Your comparing a Cadillac to a plain wrapped Chevy, searay is by far a better boat,components used are higher quality,more standard features,better built.and having the same parent company has nothing to do with it,yes bayliner is a good STARTER boat for the buck..but thats just what they are and were, STARTER BOATS.I have owned more than one and also have owned Donzi's..searay compares.
                    Nec aspera terrent

Comment

Originally posted by marine4003 View Post
                      Huh? Your comparing a Cadillac to a plain wrapped Chevy, searay is by far a better boat,components used are higher quality,more standard features,better built.and having the same parent company has nothing to do with it,yes bayliner is a good STARTER boat for the buck..but thats just what they are and were, STARTER BOATS.I have owned more than one and also have owned Donzi's..searay compares.
                      Pay attention to what I said. I never said that Sea Rays weren't great boats. I said that Bayliner was a better value.

Value is an evaluation of what you get for the money. I continue to state that you get a lot for your money in a Bayliner. I think that holds especially true in the 17-18 foot boats when comparing to Sea Ray.

If ones budget allows them to buy Sea Rays or other mid-upper level boats that is great. For the original poster he is looking for the best boat for the money.
                      RJP

Comment

I think you will be impressed by the ride of the Glastron, they have very little bow rise, corner very flat, and no wood in the construction. Go out and try them all out, I had a great time shopping for our boat when it was new, had a stack of brochure's that kept me in bathroom reading for weeks. Whatever brand you decide on definately upgrade to the max HP available for the boat. I know glastron has package deal for the new SSV 170 but it comes with a 90 HP, I would get the 115 for sure. If your sure you want IO power, the 3.0 is now available with fuel injection and is rated at 150 HP. It sure is a buyers market, there are sweet deals to be had, both new and used. have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by RotaryRacer View Post
                          Pay attention to what I said. I never said that Sea Rays weren't great boats. I said that Bayliner was a better value.

Value is an evaluation of what you get for the money. I continue to state that you get a lot for your money in a Bayliner. I think that holds especially true in the 17-18 foot boats when comparing to Sea Ray.

If ones budget allows them to buy Sea Rays or other mid-upper level boats that is great. For the original poster he is looking for the best boat for the money.
                          Gotcha, there have been previous posts stating the two are equals, i misinterpreted..
                          Nec aspera terrent

Comment

There is no "best" bowrider for the money. The best one is the one you can afford with the features that are important to you. No one here can tell you that. We can argue brand all day, but in the end, as long as you take care of it and maintain it, and of the major brands will serve you well. Just don't buy one made by Billy Bob's Boats Inc. Buy a know good brand.
                            Justin

Comment

Others may differ on this topic, but the DEPRECIATION on new boats is insane. Look at it closely and make a smart decision... the guy in the slip next to mine walked into a dealership 18 months ago, newbie idiot that he is, and bought Starcraft 21' bowrider for about $40k (2007 model no less). Full retail on it was $48k when new. Thought he got a great deal.

He's now trying to sell it for what he owes - $27k - but the boat is only worth about $17-20k per NADA (not that NADA is the do-all-end-all in boat valuation but it does demonstrate the point and is what banks use for loans). Similar boats are asking low 20's and they've been sitting all year long on CraigsList.

His hopes to upgrade to a larger weekender type boat are dashed for now, at least until his equity catches up to the declining market value of the boat.

Think about what might happen to you if you want to exit the boat any time in the next 7-8 years and how much the depreciation will add to your annual cost of boating. In his case, it's cost him about $15k to own the boat for 18 months (and use it for less than 10). Ouch !!!

So... my advice to everyone is to look at boats that have already worked their way down the curve a bit. Look at used boats for the best value.

Just my $.02.
                              1989 Sea Ray 300 Sundancer
                              Twin 260 Merc I/Os
                              Irondequoit Bay, Lake Ontario NY

Comment

Working...
                              X