Opinions on Chris Craft 308 Express cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnaquin

Cadet
I am looking at a used 2000 Chris Craft 308 Express Cruiser with twin Volvo Penta GL 5.0 2V SX<br />engines. I am a little worried about the quality of construction based on things I have heard and read. Any opnions?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Opinions on Chris Craft 308 Express cruiser

Don't know the 2000 Chris but I'm not a big fan of the express design no matter who makes it as the exhaust fumes tend to get sucked back up to the helm.

Lakesailor

Recruit
I have a Chris-Craft 328 (2003) have not had any exhaust blow back at normal running speeds.
I would like to talk to others about Maintenance and suppliers for parts.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Owned a 1999 C*C 248 Express for a couple of years. Despite the ups and downs of Chris Craft over the years, I found that vintage to be fine. A little spartan compared to Sea Ray and some others, but construction was very good. OMC (Chris Craft's owner at that time) used high quality materials and screwed it together very well. Mine had a single 5.7 V-P duo-prop and loved it. The SX series were very good outdrives. Robust and mechanically simpler than Merc Bravos.

As with any boat going on 20 years old, however, current condition is a lot more important than who built it or how well it was built when new. The best boat out there will turn to water-soaked mush if it wasn't taken care of. Do your due diligence- get a survey and mechanical inspection. Good luck!

Solittle, I've owned 2 express cruisers- the Chris and a 27' twin engine Four Winns. Never had any particular issue with exhaust fumes.

Lakesailor, you'd be best off starting your own thread in the Volvo Penta forum here. It's bad form to hijack another poster's thread.

My .02

southkogs

Staff member
Lakesailor, you'd be best off starting your own thread in the Volvo Penta forum here. It's bad form to hijack another poster's thread.
... especially one from '03. Lakesailor please review our forum rules - we ask that you don't post in topics over 90 days old unless you're the original poster.

Puttin' this one back in the history book.

Status
Not open for further replies.