Has anyone heard of a McCulloch boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Johnson

Recruit
I just purchaced a 14' McCulloch Boat and the ID tag is missing on the the boat I was wondering if anyone has ever seen one or knows anything about it it is sitting on a 71 trailer and has a 68 Johnson on it I expect it is close to those years the boat is blue in color if anyone knows any information on this boat it would be appreciated<br /><br />Thanks<br />Jeff

Re: Has anyone heard of a McCulloch boat

I have a 12' McCulloch boat, it's about a '71.<br /><br />It was in horible shape when I got it. I painted the interior(non-slip on the bottom half), re varnished the wood, replaced all hardware, made some seats out of layers of carpet underlay and marine seat material. Also using Maguieres abrasive polish, I cleaned the aluminum outside the boat to a near shine! <br /><br />I run a 15hp Johnson on her, and with one person it is deadly. The puppy porposes like crazy, until you get some weight in it.<br /><br />My boat has a 4ft beam, so it can fit in a pick up, but obviously that sacrifices stability and lift when it comes to planing. Though the hull has proved good, when it comes to choppy water. Cuts through like a charm with some weight in.<br /><br />-I think it was a Sears boat, or atleast sold at sears. My Hull Identification No. is stamped on the outside of the bow. My boat has no capacity plate or anything like that, so I contacted Dept. Of fisheries and Oceans and in a while, I will have a capacity plate.<br /><br />And I thought I was the only one with McCulloch!

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

My creaky memory is bringing up a recollection of a Scott/McCulloch boat motor combination from that time period. They were heavily built and came in sizes up to about 17'. I believe there is a collectors club. Do a search under "Scott Boats" or McCulloch".

Old Johnson

Recruit

I looked for this site and found a litle info thanks

sbakf

Cadet

Yes, I have heard of them. Our family owned one in the early 60's. Bought it new. Thinking it was about 16 feet with a 30hp McCulloch (formally Scott/Atwater - Scott) engine. The design was unique in that there was a molded cockpit with a center console at about 45 degrees chest high. Two levers, one for throttle and the other for shifting (F-N-R). Had fun with it until 1963 when my dad got tranferred to Germany. Stored the boat with aunt in Ohio for three years. Unfortunately, when we got back and picked up the boat, we discovered that bottom/keel had bent due to boat becoming full of water (from the rain) and a poorly placed trailer roller (i.e., when the boat planed-out, the bow would immediately plow downward). Junked the boat and kept the motor, which was still running great. Used that motor on a 14 ft Boston Whaler until 1976 when I traded for a 20 ft Slickcraft.

liljewel

Recruit

Hey there, just found your forum today after doing a search on McCulloch boats.
My husband and I just purchased a McCulloch Sport 14 with a 40 Johnson on it model #RK-30A. We were able to determine this motor is a 1968. Runs like a dream!! We don't have any type of paperwork, information on this little boat, and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Along with the boat came a trailer which we believe was the orginial trailer that came with the boat.........painted the same colour as the boat with the McCulloch decal on it.
My husband is a truck driver and came upon this boat sitting on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it. The poor little thing was absolutely filthy piled with leaves and debri.........for some reason he fell in love with this little thing, and 2 days later we were hauling it home. Spent about 5 hours so far cleaning this "lil jewel" up and boy were we in for a surprise...........instant love!!! The top colour of the boat is sort of a light green teal colour, and the base is white. Everything is still original in the boat and in very good shape.........we can't wait to get it in the water!!!!!!
Would anyone know about what year these boats were made?????

BTW she's gonna be sporting a name on her side, and appropriately she will be christened "Lil Jewel"

I'll try and upload a photo of her, once we have her finished!!

Ginny

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1

rbh

Fleet Admiral

were these boats made by the same people that made chainsaws?
rob

halkese

Recruit

My husband and I just purchased a McCulloch Sport 14 with a 40 Johnson on it model #RK-30A. We were able to determine this motor is a 1968. Runs like a dream!! We don't have any type of paperwork, information on this little boat, and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Along with the boat came a trailer which we believe was the orginial trailer that came with the boat.........painted the same colour as the boat with the McCulloch decal on it.
My husband is a truck driver and came upon this boat sitting on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it. The poor little thing was absolutely filthy piled with leaves and debri.........for some reason he fell in love with this little thing, and 2 days later we were hauling it home. Spent about 5 hours so far cleaning this "lil jewel" up and boy were we in for a surprise...........instant love!!! The top colour of the boat is sort of a light green teal colour, and the base is white. Everything is still original in the boat and in very good shape.........we can't wait to get it in the water!!!!!!

BTW she's gonna be sporting a name on her side, and appropriately she will be christened "Lil Jewel"

Ginny

wow, thats amazing, i have a McCulloch 14', not quite the same... mine is red. It also has a Johnson 40 horse twostroke on the back. Im assuming it is some year between 1961 and 1970..

liljewel

Recruit

wow, thats amazing, i have a McCulloch 14', not quite the same... mine is red. It also has a Johnson 40 horse twostroke on the back. Im assuming it is some year between 1961 and 1970..

Take the model and serial number off the engine and then run a google search on it. That's how we were able to determine the year of the motor........

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

To answer the chainsaw question, yes, they were the same company. McCulloch bought out Scott Atwater outboards in 1957, changing the brand to Scott, followed by Scott-McCulloch, followed by McCulloch by 1964. They closed the doors on the outboard boats & motors division in 1967...

mk92

Recruit

i just picked one up for free with a 1963 28 hp evinrude speedtwin the boats 12' and id like to know more about this boat anywhere ive searched everywhere its like it doesnt exsist

JIMMY_J

Recruit

I have currently purchased a McCulloch boat, Trailer, and engine. The boat says it is a model Standard Royal Scott. All the pictures I have seen have a front emblem that says SCOTT while mine says McCulloch. the trailer also has round pipe while all the others i have seen online are square. Further their is a fiberglass Cowlingover the Engine (75.2 HP). Does any one know the year this model might be, I am at a loss.

bluetop

Cadet

i have the same boat with a 45 hp identical

Ginny

dustedwatts

Seaman

Take the model and serial number off the engine and then run a google search on it. That's how we were able to determine the year of the motor........

I have a 28 hp engine, off of an old 14' fiber boat... sold the boat still have the motor, ran so good didn't want to get rid of it.... I found a guy in new york that has parts for these, and GOOD knowlege of them....
his name is Donald Webb

HERE IS HIS WEBSITE

http://www.scottatwaterinfo.com/

JIMMY_J

Recruit

Ginny
I have been looking for Pictures of this I ought one awhile back but have not had much success locating any pics of the interior and general pictures of the boat. I believ mine is a 58. The front emblem reads McCulloch unlike all the ones i see read Scott. Are you able to upload any pictures to the site?

TransAmRonny

Recruit

I too just got a McCulloch, mine is a 1964. It is the original boat, motor and trailer all McCulloch. I got it off a the family which bought the boat brand new in 64, however they had lil information as it was handed down from the grandparents.

Mine has a 45 hourse and is the first year McCulloch branded the engine as there own. I have no info on the location anything was actually built and since Porter Atwell seem to be from the north US I would very much like to know why this boat has made in Canada, and why the Canadien maple leaf is displayed in many locations so proudly.

I have pics but it says they are too big to let me post

lmealing

Recruit

I have my grandparents boat which my husband, dad and I are currently restoring. As far as we know it is a 1964 Mcculloch and it has the 45 HP motor and the trailer has the round steel. When we removed the logo's on the side we found Scott under the McCullouch emblems. We have just had to replace the transom before it could support a new motor as the wood inside the fiberglass was rotten. Our boat is white with robin-egg blue top. It has a faux mahogany vinyl top and on the rear by the motor. I was able to use google to find the exact vinyl in the States and have just replaced the vinyl. There was a product number on the underside of the old vinyl. I will try to post some pictures soon. We are planning to replace the motor with a 40 hp Mercury 4 stroke with a short (15") leg. We have the old motor, but wanted something more reliable.

bluetop

Cadet

does it look like the one i have posted mine s a65 runs great

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

this thread started in 2003..........

Status
Not open for further replies.