Cleaning White boat seats

wendyrt01

Recruit
Ok first its not mildew. I have a 02 starcraft ski boat with mainly white seats that have a grey grime on them. I have tried every cleaner that I know of and it doesnt touch them. I have went as far as trying a spot using acetone and it removes the grey grimey film but i know its too harsh for the vinyl. Any suggestions?

indy440

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cleaning White boat seats

I have 15 year old white and green vinyl that has always been covered and looks new EXCEPT for this same grime that you're talking about. Spraynine marine vinyl cleaner with a scrub brush gets some of it off, but its a ton of work and it doesn't get it all.

wendyrt01

Recruit

I just worked on some vinyl seats here in our dental office that are light grey with that same grime. I used a magic eraser by mr. clean and I am totally amazed! Im going to try them tonight on the boat! Ill let you know how that goes! I very excited... hope im not disappointed tonight.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

let me know, if it works im stocking up on them...

Rowe_232

Recruit

Ive used Starbrite Vinyl cleaner and had good success....the secret is spraying it on and letting it sit for 2-3 minutes before scrubbing.

wendyrt01

Recruit

I have used simple green, starbrite vinyl cleaner, awesome, mildew remover, you name it and i've bought and used it. SO I will let you know as soon as I get to the boat hopefully today!

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

magic eraser and you will be amazed

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mold Armor in the paint section at Home Depot.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm... I am hearing about the wonders of magic eraser quit a lot lately... apparently, it works like.... a magic eraser! I'm gonna have to try one of these puppies out for myself and see what all the hub-bub is about.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Hmmm... I am hearing about the wonders of magic eraser quit a lot lately... apparently, it works like.... a magic eraser! I'm gonna have to try one of these puppies out for myself and see what all the hub-bub is about.

You won't be disappointed!

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Mean Green not to be confused with simple green is the best plastics cleaner I have ever found. We routinely strip the covers off our copiers and give a good spray of Mean Green. Don't let it dry and after sitting for a few minutes give a good brushing and finally hose down with a lot of fresh water. Works great in baths too, but gotta tell you it tain't worth a darn on engine grease and oil. Never could understand that.

Good cleaning ya'll

a70eliminator

Captain

If all fails, mask and shoot it with a light coat of vinyl dye spray paint available at your nearest store that sells spray paint, I had the same mold that etched right into the vinyl and nothing else would make it disappear the dye has been holding up well nobody would ever know.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

The response below is one I posted on a similar recent thread:

I use soft scrub on almost everything on my boat. The guy that redid my upholstery told me to. Been using it for about 7 years. Great at removing spots. Just make sure you rinse it off real good. IT is good on the gelcoat too - it acts almost like a poishing compound when you use a little bit on a real wet sponge. Wax after.

My interior is solid white. Looks good and stays cool. I had some stains that I could not remove. I went to the local auto place with one of my original (almost 20 year old) cushions. I asked them if they would let me try a few drops of each of their cleaners until I found one that worked and they did. To make a long story short I tried about 8 of them with mediocre results. Then they guy asked me if I was willing to try anything and i said we could on the back side of the cushion. We tried Bleche White (for cleaning tires/whitewalls). It was amazing! It turned the original like new color that I have not seen since I have owned the boat. I bought it and recleaned EVERYTHING. IT is absolutely amazing. Again - just have to make sure it is well rinsed. Coated with 303 and done! Boat has NOT looked this good since I purchased it in 2000.

These aren't great pics but were taken 8/23/09 - sorry the bimini was down and laying on the sunpad. The shadows really take away from how good it looks.

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ZEP makes a mold and mildew stain remover that is amazing... u can get it at home depot, its in a blue spray bottle with a black top... if it doesnt work then u will have toilet cleaner for a good 3 yrs... 3 squirts of this stuff in ur toilet and it will look like new. It smells like bleach on steroids. Have u tried any hydrogen peroxide? u would have to let it sit a few hours but it may work.

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a70eliminator what kind of store are you talking about? Any large chain store?
I have been looking for vinyl dye with no luck. Any leads? Thanks Ike

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

If it's kinda greasy film I would also give marine Greze-Off a try. I have amazed by that stuff for cleaning fiberglass, vinyl and outboards.

wyocobra

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought an '87 Baja that still has it's original mostly white interior. The boat was stored inside its whole life and was well taken care of, but the vinyl had a lot of caked-on grime like the OP described. My brother has used Simple Green on a lot of different materials and finishes with good results and recommended it. I picked some up in a spray bottle earlier today and tried it. I have to say, it did a much better job at cleaning the seats than I expected. I just did a quick once over using a couple towels and it removed most of the nastiness. The white actually looks white now! I worked on a couple spots a little harder and was able to remove virtually 100% of the grime. I'm going to go at it with a sponge or something that will work better to scrub the vinyl and am confident I'll be able to make the interior look almost new. I got a little overspray on the hull and it removed all of the grime there as well (with very little effort). The Simple Green didn't have a strong odor and it smells like toothpaste to me, so it's not nearly as nauseating as some other cleaners.

a70eliminator

Captain

a70eliminator what kind of store are you talking about? Any large chain store?
I have been looking for vinyl dye with no luck. Any leads? Thanks Ike

Autozone, advaance, wall mart, it's hit or mis sometimes but usually white would be an easy find.

204 Escape

Ensign

I had mixed up some IVORY soap, for cleaning our covers on the boat. I've been using it to clean the seats as well. I like the way it cleans the seats, AND, it don't smell too bad either.

(I used a cheese grater to shred the soap, and them melted the soap with HOT water. If nothing else, it will sure clean the canvas covers on your boat. AND it don't hurt the covers).