• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning White boat seats

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning White boat seats

Ok first its not mildew. I have a 02 starcraft ski boat with mainly white seats that have a grey grime on them. I have tried every cleaner that I know of and it doesnt touch them. I have went as far as trying a spot using acetone and it removes the grey grimey film but i know its too harsh for the vinyl. Any suggestions?

Re: Cleaning White boat seats

I have 15 year old white and green vinyl that has always been covered and looks new EXCEPT for this same grime that you're talking about. Spraynine marine vinyl cleaner with a scrub brush gets some of it off, but its a ton of work and it doesn't get it all.

Comment

I just worked on some vinyl seats here in our dental office that are light grey with that same grime. I used a magic eraser by mr. clean and I am totally amazed! Im going to try them tonight on the boat! Ill let you know how that goes! I very excited... hope im not disappointed tonight.

Comment

let me know, if it works im stocking up on them...

Comment

I have had good luck with Simple Green.

Comment

Ive used Starbrite Vinyl cleaner and had good success....the secret is spraying it on and letting it sit for 2-3 minutes before scrubbing.

Comment

I have used simple green, starbrite vinyl cleaner, awesome, mildew remover, you name it and i've bought and used it. SO I will let you know as soon as I get to the boat hopefully today!

Comment

magic eraser and you will be amazed
                Thats like wiping your butt before you go. You can do it, but it just don't make any sense.

Comment

Mold Armor in the paint section at Home Depot.
                  sigpic

Aboat Time

Comment

Hmmm... I am hearing about the wonders of magic eraser quit a lot lately... apparently, it works like.... a magic eraser! I'm gonna have to try one of these puppies out for myself and see what all the hub-bub is about.

Comment

Originally posted by werthert View Post
                      Hmmm... I am hearing about the wonders of magic eraser quit a lot lately... apparently, it works like.... a magic eraser! I'm gonna have to try one of these puppies out for myself and see what all the hub-bub is about.
                      You won't be disappointed!
                      FUN is a way of life! sigpic

1975 Checkmate V-Mate II w/150 HP Mercury "Tower of Power"
                      Restoration Link: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=325296

1973 Silverline Comoro 16-1/2 T w/150 HP Mercury "Tower of Power"

2007 Kawasaki Ultra 250X Jet Ski

Comment

Mean Green not to be confused with simple green is the best plastics cleaner I have ever found. We routinely strip the covers off our copiers and give a good spray of Mean Green. Don't let it dry and after sitting for a few minutes give a good brushing and finally hose down with a lot of fresh water. Works great in baths too, but gotta tell you it tain't worth a darn on engine grease and oil. Never could understand that.

Good cleaning ya'll

Comment

If all fails, mask and shoot it with a light coat of vinyl dye spray paint available at your nearest store that sells spray paint, I had the same mold that etched right into the vinyl and nothing else would make it disappear the dye has been holding up well nobody would ever know.
                          '90 Chaparral 2000SL
                          5.8 Cobra
                          '67 MFG Westfield Regal
                          80hp V-4
                          (No private messages)

Comment

The response below is one I posted on a similar recent thread:

I use soft scrub on almost everything on my boat. The guy that redid my upholstery told me to. Been using it for about 7 years. Great at removing spots. Just make sure you rinse it off real good. IT is good on the gelcoat too - it acts almost like a poishing compound when you use a little bit on a real wet sponge. Wax after.

My interior is solid white. Looks good and stays cool. I had some stains that I could not remove. I went to the local auto place with one of my original (almost 20 year old) cushions. I asked them if they would let me try a few drops of each of their cleaners until I found one that worked and they did. To make a long story short I tried about 8 of them with mediocre results. Then they guy asked me if I was willing to try anything and i said we could on the back side of the cushion. We tried Bleche White (for cleaning tires/whitewalls). It was amazing! It turned the original like new color that I have not seen since I have owned the boat. I bought it and recleaned EVERYTHING. IT is absolutely amazing. Again - just have to make sure it is well rinsed. Coated with 303 and done! Boat has NOT looked this good since I purchased it in 2000.

These aren't great pics but were taken 8/23/09 - sorry the bimini was down and laying on the sunpad. The shadows really take away from how good it looks.

sigpic
                            1991 Chaparral 2000SL
                            Volvo Penta 5.7 SS Duoprop

A bad day on the water beats a good day doing almost anything else!

Comment

ZEP makes a mold and mildew stain remover that is amazing... u can get it at home depot, its in a blue spray bottle with a black top... if it doesnt work then u will have toilet cleaner for a good 3 yrs... 3 squirts of this stuff in ur toilet and it will look like new. It smells like bleach on steroids. Have u tried any hydrogen peroxide? u would have to let it sit a few hours but it may work.

Comment

Working...
                              X