Please help identify this antique sailing gear

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm calling them blocks but I could be wrong - wood frames with solid brass rollers (pulley) and steel or iron eyes at the top.
blocks.jpg

block1.jpg

Old solid brass thingey.
brassclip.jpg

Copper lamp. This is electric but also very old. Some sort of weird plug with a single thick spade and a brass retaining ring that screws on.
copperlamp.jpg

I just want to know what to call this stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Please help identify this antique sailing gear

Wow - 20 views and no one knows what they are called. Yikes. :(

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think you are safe calling the first things "blocks" or pulleys would be fine too.

The second thing is a little brass thingey clip

and the third thing is an old light

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have no idea, but if you're planning on selling them on craigslist, make up a good nautical sounding name.

I recommend, "original antique rare charbunkels, with intact squegs. (One squeg slightly jiggered, but will not affect use.)" (Edit - credit Sean for the jigger tip, he's a true marine tant-man, olde sckule.)

The second thing is obviously a chastity belt retention clip. A precursor to the modern motor kill switch lanyard thing.

And, I may be mistaken, but I believe that's a "bizzen hole bulque-heid draugt lighte, circa 19th-20th century".

Sorry, I'm useless. They let anybody post here....

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lol :d

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Can't you make anything sound nautical by putting "jigger" or "tant" behind it? Or "marine" in front of it?

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LMAO!!!!!!!!! They need a reputation system on this board for just this scenario.............I can't stop laughing. :D

Thank you Wilson for the help and thanks to the rest of you for excellent humor!!

Ned L

Commander

the first are some nice wood cheeked single sheave blocks, (quite nice). You should be able to disassemble them (remove the screws from the round brass pin retainers, press out the pins, remove the sheeves & bearings, clean & oil-or-varnish the cheeks, grease & reassemble), and you will have some real nice pieces.
The second is a snap shackle that is well beyond it's useful life, looks to have been galvanized, and the head of the spring loaded release pin is completely rusted off.
The third is a nice masthead / anchor lamp. Might clean up very nicely with some careful work.
The blocks & lamp are REAL nice finds.