bending tool for alum tubes for bimini tops?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: bending tool for alum tubes for bimini tops?

I don't see why it wouldn't as long as you make some type of jig to get them all the same bends. I was looking for one to build my own wakeboard tower, that should work for you bimini top

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

for aluminum, maybe a conduit bender? ive never used one, but it seems like it might work.

BLC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It says that it will.
Just a little info that I was told. I have a hydraulic tubing bender that can bend tube from 1/2" all the way up to 2" tube or pipe. When I asked on a buggy building forum about bending aluminum they said that only certain grades of aluminum can be bent, the others would kink or break. I just can't remember which grade it was.:confused: I have never attempted to bend aluminum before (lots of steel though)so I don't have any first hand experiences with it. I will try to find out for you. It might save you alot of headache

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

That will probably work if the tubing isn't too hard and no less than .065 wall thickness.A harder type aluminum can easily be annealed with a torch in the area that will be bent.

BLC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the question on three fabrication forums, so it's only a matter of time.

204 Escape

Ensign

What about talking to an electrician with a bender/hickey bar. That would be cheaper than buying one.

seedlings

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Duct tape the end of the tube, pack it with sand and water, then duct tape the other end before bending. You'll prevent breakage, kinks and wrinkles.

Learned on youtube.

CHAD

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

If I wasn't laid off and wanted to make my own I would take the materials to work with me and do it on my own time.I have 27 years working with benders and could make all the tubes in about an hour.CNC machines make it very easy.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

good morning-
if you can swing it go with stainless tube as it is a lot tougher than aluminum
and if there is a good blow up while your on the water, you know that stainless wont bend and twist as easilly as aluminum.
rob

BLC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Duct tape the end of the tube, pack it with sand and water, then duct tape the other end before bending. You'll prevent breakage, kinks and wrinkles.

Learned on youtube.

CHAD

Yes that will also work.
All the buggy buildr guys said that you can bend the softer stuff such as 5052, and 3003. If you want to use 6061 you can eithe pack it with sand or heat it up with a torch.
Hope this helps