Need help removing a swivel seat please

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a seat with one of those swivel bases kind of like this one.
I have never installed one since I purchased the boat used so I don't know how to remove it. The back of the seat is broken off and I'd like to put a new one in . I removed the wood plank from the bench but it looks like the base is screwed to it and not bolted like I had hoped. The doesn't appear to be much room under the seat to get at the screws. Is there a trick to getting these on and off?

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Need help removing a swivel seat please

One side of the seat base should use hex head bolts, so you can remove them with a wrench.

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, so it is just a pain in the butt to do then. I thought that there might be some kind of thing where you apply pressure and twist or something like that. Thanks fisherdan!

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Turn the swivel 45 degrees to get bolt access. Just like you see it in the picture.

fishrdan

Admiral

Yeah it's a pain getting those bolts in/out and Zeeter is right, turn the base and seat to get good access.

One tip, use Lock-Tite on the bolts and nuts as they will loosen over time if you don't. My jon boat seats are plastic and the lag bolts would work themselves out (machined bolts on the bottom too). I removed the seat and loaded up the lag bolts with Lock-Tite which slowed the loosening, but it still happens after 100 hours or so.

Only down side is, you won't be able to spin the nuts (bolts) off anymore, have to wrench it the whole way. My jon boat's bow seat is removable and I didn't Lock-Tite the bottom bolts for that reason PITA to get on/off if they were lock-tited.