• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaseline hull application

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaseline hull application

Could we get a thread going on specifics on application and what has yielded the best results for you. I have searched all threads but have not come up with a concrete way of application. Ive applied it to a small area and after only letting it sit for a couple hours and I'm very pleased and it has already out shined everything I've tried before but want to know the best way to do it. This is not a thread to voice your opinion on using Vaseline but simply results and application for those who have already used it.

Re: Vaseline hull application

Originally posted by xxturbowesxx View Post
    Could we get a thread going on specifics on application and what has yielded the best results for you. I have searched all threads but have not come up with a concrete way of application. Ive applied it to a small area and after only letting it sit for a couple hours and I'm very pleased and it has already out shined everything I've tried before but want to know the best way to do it. This is not a thread to voice your opinion on using Vaseline but simply results and application for those who have already used it.
    I would go for that-
    Opinions go on & on & on & , well, you know
    sigpic
    MY FISHIN BUDDY
    East Texas Redneck
    SEMPER FI
    USMC '67 - '70

Comment

I simply apply it with a piece of an old towel, small area at a time then let it soak in the sun for a while followed by wiping with a cotton (old shirt) type cloth.
      That's it and I won't even give my opinion on my thoughts on the finish.
      sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

I just posted in the other vaseline topic I used a foam wax pad to apply the vaseline I will let sit all nite and all day tomorrow. Then I will take a photo and post results. I did put some on some scratches about 4 weeks ago and it still looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by kenmyfam View Post
          I simply apply it with a piece of an old towel, small area at a time then let it soak in the sun for a while followed by wiping with a cotton (old shirt) type cloth.
          That's it and I won't even give my opinion on my thoughts on the finish.
          thats not what i meant basically just didn't want people in here ranting about why you shouldn't do it but if you have tried it I'm definitely interested in the results and how long it has held up.

Im also curious as to how the sun helps does the vaseline just react to heat?

Comment

I have used it and am very pleased. I used a microfiber cloth to apply it. I let it absorb into the gel for a week! I was amazed at how well it cleaned my hull, and the fact that it removed oxidation quickly.
            If you leave the jar out in the sun it will almost liquefy, and is very easy to apply.
            After it sat for a week, I went over the entire hull with another microfiber cloth. After another week or so I applied polish on top.

Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by skargo View Post
              I have used it and am very pleased. I used a microfiber cloth to apply it. I let it absorb into the gel for a week! I was amazed at how well it cleaned my hull, and the fact that it removed oxidation quickly.
              If you leave the jar out in the sun it will almost liquefy, and is very easy to apply.
              After it sat for a week, I went over the entire hull with another microfiber cloth. After another week or so I applied polish on top.

Looks great!
              One week..? Its hot in Florida right now . I think I'm going to try 2 days of sunlight and maybe reapply next week. I stripped all of the poliglow off and I applied it completely(looks awesome). I have the boat sitting out where the sun can get to it but unfortunately it rained almost immediately after.

Comment

[IMG]http://i44.photobucket

This was a test spot one day no polish or wax yet. I have gone over this spot with everything I had and I think I might go over the whole blue area with the vaseline only so far that has been the only thing that made it look like this. skargo how long has it held the shine and has any oxidation shown thru?
                Last edited by MRS; August 13th, 2009, 10:55 PM. Reason: photo

Comment

Mine is still looking great since mid June.
                  sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MRS View Post
                    [IMG]http://i44.photobucket

This was a test spot one day no polish or wax yet. I have gone over this spot with everything I had and I think I might go over the whole blue area with the vaseline only so far that has been the only thing that made it look like this. skargo how long has it held the shine and has any oxidation shown thru?
                    Mine has held the shine for a couple months now, and no more oxidation.

Comment

Thanks guys that is what I was hopeing to hear will wash and vaseline it tonight. If I do use boat this weekend no big deal for two bucks a jar will rewash after use and reapply Thanks again........

Comment

I think I might try the vasoline trick on my boat... MY white hull is very oxodized and spotty. I do have some questions though.

Will the application of the product cause it to look spotty when it is removed? If I don't apply it perfect will I have areas that look better, and those that look worse. That was my major issue when trying to polish the boat before.

If I apply it to the boat and intend to let it sit, would there be an issue if it gets wet. The dew usually sets in, and lately we have been getting spotty rain showers. I want to apply it, let it sit for a few days, and pretty much KNOW it will end up raining within that timeframe. Is this going to be an issue?

Lastly, how much would I need to do a 27' express cruiser. I am really only concerned with the hull, below the rub rail at this time.

Thanks guys.
                        Boat: 1987 29' Cruisers Inc 297 Elegante. T/270 Crusaders. (SOLD)
                        Boat #2: 1984 34' Silverton 34C. T/270 Crusaders. Westerbeke Gen.
                        Updating Thread: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...vy-534493.html
                        Race Car: 1989 Mustang LX 5.0. 12.5 on slicks, 12.9 on street tires.
                        sigpic

Comment

The vaseline will shed the rain off your hull. Should not be a problem.

Comment

There was a simular thread not to long ago about this same question, I found it to be pretty interesting info, Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you, the more I read the more I get opininions on what everyone thinks is best.
                            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....soline+opinion
                            sigpic

1991 Bayliner Capri 2050CX,4.3L V6,Mercarb 2bbl,Alpha 1
                            (QUOTE): When our boat is happy, THEN we are Happy

Comment

Put the vaseline without the metal lid, into the microwave for about 10 seconds. softens it up. Try 10 second intrevals for liquifying.
                              Captharv
                              Certified Old Boater

Comment

Working...
                              X