Spray Foam Insulating an Un-Insulated Boat Cooler?

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
The rear bench seat of our boat has a cooler in each corner, they are nice sizes but unfortunately are un-insulated so ice doesn't last very long. I can carry on a small cooler but I like having the extra space in the boat when using the boats coolers.

The rear seat support is roto-cast nylon with air in between the two layers of nylon. It looks like from the engine compartment I could drill some small holes and fill the space with spray insulating foam.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? The only concern's I can think of is the foam expanding too much or it taking on moisture later. I'm not sure how much pressure this stuff can generate when it expands. According to the can (Great Stuff) It's supposed to be water resistant.

Any advice appreciated.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Spray Foam Insulating an Un-Insulated Boat Cooler?

In theory that would work great but as you said, how do you know how much to put in.

You would think as long as it has somewher to come out you would be okay adn roto cast is super tough stuff so I doubt you woudl hurt that.

Used that stuff in a window once and I had to trim it for a week as it kept expanding so I think it might work but it is you boat and your call.

Maybe try it on something you won't miss if it blows up and see what it does.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

You can get minimal expanding foam. I would spray on a piece of card board first to determine the expansion. It does create alot of pressure abd will bow the fiberglass if to much is used.

a70eliminator

Captain

My built in cooler in the chaparral is exactly that but one more step was taken, it's coated with some sort of shelac making it waterproof.

emilime75

Petty Officer 1st Class

It should work just fine, but you should use the stuff that doesn't expand quite as much. It was designed for things like windows and doors where it will expand some to fill voids but not enough to bow a window/door frame and render the window/door useless. As a temperature insulator, it works well. I did the bottom and sides of a whirlpool once before I installed it and it kept the water hot/warm for a very long time.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Or you could get some closed-cell foam panels from a box store and cut a liner for each cooler...might reduce inside space a little, but not much. Would also be removable.

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DAP makes a very easy to use foam that doesn't over expand like polyeurethane foam does. (Great Stuff in the red can is poly foam)
It's latex based, cleans up with water, and has high insulation properties when dry. Here's a link to their product details:

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=19&SubcatID=4

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=20&SubcatID=4

You can get it at the big box stores like HD and Lowes and at Wallyworld, Ace, etc..​

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't use the DAP latex foam. It is not very long lived in a wet environment and will shrink and fail, Becomes brittle with age and is hygroscopic. The minimal expanding foam is somewhat open cell and will also hold water. The max. expanding urethane foam will keep expanding if layered up too thick. If that is going to be used , put in a bit and spritz with water to kick it. Layer it up that way until desired thickness...

Beat yet is to get a froth pack of 2 part foam of the 2# variety. Google tigerfoam and you'll find some different varieties. It is a 2 part poly foam and will do the best job. Kinda spendy, but worth it.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the comments, sounds like I should consider what foam I use carefully.
Is there any closed cell spray foam available?

Closed cell that doesn't expand too much sounds like it would be the best.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Or you could get some closed-cell foam panels from a box store and cut a liner for each cooler...might reduce inside space a little, but not much. Would also be removable.

Thats what i did in mine-
Used the 1/2" foil backed/clear sealed front from Lowes & if you cut carefull & close very little glue is needed & it works great :cool:
My ice lasts at least twice as long & you really can't tell it's even in there :rolleyes:

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't use the DAP latex foam. It is not very long lived in a wet environment and will shrink and fail, Becomes brittle with age and is hygroscopic.

I stand corrected. Thats good info to know.​

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about this: Great Stuff Pond and Stone Foam

http://www.bicwarehouse.com/great-stuff-pond-and-stone-foam-283064.html

Supposed to be minimal expanding, closed cell and its cheap.

It's made for wet applications. Looks like it cures slowly and it won't get much air where I'm going to put it, but it will surely cure eventually.

Not sure about its R-Value, guess I can send dow an email and see what they say.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's worth a shot . Looks cheap enough to try..but personally I'd still go for a froth pack just for the yield. It may end up about the same money by the time you've got a bunch of cans purchased.