Should I wax my boats hull?

collind

Cadet
Will waxing the submerged portions of my hull affect the performance in any way? I heard that it can have a negative affect.

My boat is a Sea Ray 185 bowrider that is kept on a trailer. No bottom paint.

Also, is there any benefit to using marine wax or is it pretty much the same as automotive wax?

Thanks

-Collin

salty87

Commander
Re: Should I wax my boats hull?

ya going for a speed record in that b'liner?

it won't make much difference but it will get washed off quickly.

collind

Cadet

not look for a speed increase at all, I just didn't want it to have a negative impact. I wanted to wax it to protect it and perhaps make it easier to wash off the water line grime, but if you think it will wash away quickly, it may not be worth the effort.

reelfishin

Captain

The smoother the finish or surface, the less drag in the water. Wax will make the surface smoother but the results probably won't be very noticeable in the average pleasure boat. I might help save some fuel but how much is hard to say. I would think that the marine wax is more water resistant than normal auto wax. After all, you can wash automotive wax out of a rag pretty easy with just water and it don't last all that long on the car either. I wax my car 5 or 6 times every summer just to keep the water beading on the surface. I doubt it would last very long at all moving through the water.

The most important thing to do is keep the hull clean, don't allow dirt and growth to accumulate, wash the hull after every outing and you should be fine. The occasional coat of wax won't hurt either.
Wax may help prevent some UV damage on the top sides as well.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I wax the hull as far down as i can go comfortably with the boat on the trailer. Once a year or so, I crawl underneath and try to get the whole thing done just for good measure. I don't know if it lasts or not, but its part of me doing everything I can to keep up my older boat.

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wax the hull as far down as i can go comfortably with the boat on the trailer. Once a year or so, I crawl underneath and try to get the whole thing done just for good measure. I don't know if it lasts or not, but its part of me doing everything I can to keep up my older boat.

I agree..why not take the extra measure to protect your investment..:D

I waxed mine twice this summer so far..

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wax mine (the whole boat) once a month during the season. I've used both marine specific waxes and automotive and I can't tell much of a difference. The easiest wax to apply that I've found is Turtle Wax ICE (automotive). The shine and slickness lasts the longest also. So that's what I've been using. I've got about 6 different brands on the shelf at home I've tried.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The smoother the finish or surface, the less drag in the water.

that can be debated as hotly as religion and politics, but the general consensus among the speed crowd (professional rowing/sailing and PWC racers) is that waxing actually slows you down.

from my understanding, the hull is basically rewetting itself continously and causing lots of drag because of it. a nice surface that can actually become wet results in lower drag.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

that can be debated as hotly as religion and politics, but the general consensus among the speed crowd (professional rowing/sailing and PWC racers) is that waxing actually slows you down.

from my understanding, the hull is basically rewetting itself continously and causing lots of drag because of it. a nice surface that can actually become wet results in lower drag.

A lot of offshore racers will actually sand their bottom. Air collects in the rough patches and the hull rides on the air. There is less friction riding on air than there is riding on water. That is fact.

I think for the average boater, this does not apply. I mean, I don't think most boaters are cruising at the speeds necessary to create this phenomenum.

As stated earlier, the water passing under the hull would wear off any wax in very little time. I would stick to waxing the sides and topsides only.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The SideroadPractical advice, straight from the experts.Home ? Travel ? Rowing ? Should You Wax Your Boat's Hull?

By: Mike Davenport

Article Summary:
How can waxing your row boat's hull help you?
Should You Wax Your Boat's Hull?

To wax or not to wax? That is the question. And the answer is . . . ?

Over the years, I've learned that there are two thing that can help you generate maximum hull speed, in terms of your boat's hull. One is to make sure that the hull is free of dings, dents, and any abnormalities (such as holes or repairs) that make the hull "non-smooth." The other thing to do is to make sure that it is as clean as possible.

Those two steps are about the only hull preparation you need to do during the competitive season.

However, your average rowing shell only spends about one-third of a year in the competitive season. What should you do for the other parts of the year?

My suggestion, wax the hull.

Okay, okay, okay. I know that waxing means extra work. It also means that you have to take the wax off. And waxing is by no means glamorous work.

Yet the benefits of waxing can certainly outweigh the hassles involved.

Now I'm not suggesting that everyone should run out, get a can of wax, and start buffing. But I do suggest you do just that if:

1) Your boat is stored in direct sunlight.

and/or

2) The water you row in is polluted.

You see, during the non-competitive seasons you should be concerned with trying to protect your hull from damage, especially the paint. If you store your boat outside, or you row in polluted water, your paint (or varnish if you row in a wooden boat) is at risk. And if the paint/varnish gets damaged you won't have a smooth hull for racing.

You go slower.

That stinks.

Wax can help.

A good coating of wax, put on once at the beginning of your training sessions can greatly reduce the effects of ultraviolets from the sun that can biodegrade the paint/varnish. And the same wax can insulate your hull from toxins that might be in the water.

I don't use a special wax, just a good car wax that has ultraviolet inhibitors in it. I've been pleased with such common products as "Turtle Wax," although special marine waxes are produced. Some folks I know use them, but they usually are significantly more expensive than the car waxes.

At the end of the training season, I just remove the wax, clean the hull, and the boat is ready to race. I'll discuss exactly how I clean the hull in the next issue.

So . . . wax on, wax off, for better speed.

Mike Davenport has been involved in the sport of rowing since 1975. Now he is the head rowing coach at Washington College, in Chestertown, MD. For several years Mike was involved with the U.S. National Team, as their Boatman; and in 1996 he was the Boatman for the U.S. Olympic Rowing Team. Currently, his company, SportWork, is the leading educational consultancy for USRowing and their Coaching Education Program. Mike has written eleven books, seven of which are about rowing. His Web site http://maxrigging.com and his monthly e-zine MaxRigging strive to supply the latest and greatest information about rowing and the rigging of rowing equipment.

Read all advice by Mike Davenport; Find more Rowing experts

More advice on Rowing
? Rowing Practice Repair Kit
? Should You Wax Your Boat's Hull?
? all Rowing articles

...The Sideroad: Practical advice straight from the experts
Home | Business | Life | Travel | News & Expert Interviews | Find an Expert | About Us | Privacy Policy
The Sideroad is a Blue Boulder Internet Publishing site. Simcoe, Ontario, Canada, N3Y 4X2.

The Sideroad ? 2007, Blue Boulder Internet Publishing. For REPRINTING RIGHTS, please contact the author directly.

Brokenjaw

Seaman Apprentice

The SideroadPractical advice, straight from the experts.Home ? Travel ? Rowing ? Should You Wax Your Boat's Hull?

By: Mike Davenport

Article Summary:
How can waxing your row boat's hull help you?
Should You Wax Your Boat's Hull?

To wax or not to wax? That is the question. And the answer is . . . ?

Over the years, I've learned that there are two thing that can help you generate maximum hull speed, in terms of your boat's hull. One is to make sure that the hull is free of dings, dents, and any abnormalities (such as holes or repairs) that make the hull "non-smooth." The other thing to do is to make sure that it is as clean as possible.

Those two steps are about the only hull preparation you need to do during the competitive season.

However, your average rowing shell only spends about one-third of a year in the competitive season. What should you do for the other parts of the year?

My suggestion, wax the hull.

Okay, okay, okay. I know that waxing means extra work. It also means that you have to take the wax off. And waxing is by no means glamorous work.

Yet the benefits of waxing can certainly outweigh the hassles involved.

Now I'm not suggesting that everyone should run out, get a can of wax, and start buffing. But I do suggest you do just that if:

1) Your boat is stored in direct sunlight.

and/or

2) The water you row in is polluted.

You see, during the non-competitive seasons you should be concerned with trying to protect your hull from damage, especially the paint. If you store your boat outside, or you row in polluted water, your paint (or varnish if you row in a wooden boat) is at risk. And if the paint/varnish gets damaged you won't have a smooth hull for racing.

You go slower.

That stinks.

Wax can help.

A good coating of wax, put on once at the beginning of your training sessions can greatly reduce the effects of ultraviolets from the sun that can biodegrade the paint/varnish. And the same wax can insulate your hull from toxins that might be in the water.

I don't use a special wax, just a good car wax that has ultraviolet inhibitors in it. I've been pleased with such common products as "Turtle Wax," although special marine waxes are produced. Some folks I know use them, but they usually are significantly more expensive than the car waxes.

At the end of the training season, I just remove the wax, clean the hull, and the boat is ready to race. I'll discuss exactly how I clean the hull in the next issue.

So . . . wax on, wax off, for better speed.

Mike Davenport has been involved in the sport of rowing since 1975. Now he is the head rowing coach at Washington College, in Chestertown, MD. For several years Mike was involved with the U.S. National Team, as their Boatman; and in 1996 he was the Boatman for the U.S. Olympic Rowing Team. Currently, his company, SportWork, is the leading educational consultancy for USRowing and their Coaching Education Program. Mike has written eleven books, seven of which are about rowing. His Web site http://maxrigging.com and his monthly e-zine MaxRigging strive to supply the latest and greatest information about rowing and the rigging of rowing equipment.

Read all advice by Mike Davenport; Find more Rowing experts

More advice on Rowing
? Rowing Practice Repair Kit
? Should You Wax Your Boat's Hull?
? all Rowing articles

...The Sideroad: Practical advice straight from the experts
Home | Business | Life | Travel | News & Expert Interviews | Find an Expert | About Us | Privacy Policy
The Sideroad is a Blue Boulder Internet Publishing site. Simcoe, Ontario, Canada, N3Y 4X2.

The Sideroad ? 2007, Blue Boulder Internet Publishing. For REPRINTING RIGHTS, please contact the author directly.

well that settles it!
If you decide to start competitively rowing your 18' bayliner, you know what to do:rolleyes:

a70eliminator

Captain

It is very good practice to wax your entire hull at least once a season, it shows you have pride and more importantly it places your eyes on what you normally don't see, I use whatever wax I have on the shelf at the time, turtle wax something or other.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is what i use on my boats - http://www.collinitemarine.com/
Gelcoat is not a solid surface..its porus..and anytime you can block UV..renurish the resins..and protect it from the harsh elements..your doing yourself a favor. And, like it was said...Take Pride in whats yours.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I think waxing the hull is a good thing. I do it mainly so it cleans easier.... its not always the river water that's hard to get off, its the crap on the road that slings up underneath the boat (like tar, road kill, etc).

I'm too big to roll under the boat with a creeper.... but my wife is the perfect size for that. :D She does it once or twice a year.

And I'm not sure if this is true.... but I've heard that auto wax can make a white boat look yellow. I use marine wax just to be safe.