What boats don't have wood in the hull?

hokiepoq

Seaman
I know I'm going to anger the purists. I've had a number of boats - VIP, Proline, Glastron, Thunderbird - all have had rot issues. Frankly, I'm really tired of dealing with it. I finally replaced my transom in the VIP with coosa board and it worked great. Looking at moving to a 20ft to 23ft WA and I really want a composite only hull. The idea of all fasteners going through wood just brings back all kinds of bad memories. I know Seapro and Seafox make them. Do people know the others and about when they went to no-wood hulls?

Thanks!

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What boats don't have wood in the hull?

What year was your Glastron?

They mostly eliminated wood when they started their VEC construction. I believe this was in 2001, any Glastron with a VEC logo has no wood in the Hull, Stringers, Floors or Transom.

I have found some wood in mine in the dash area and small pieces under the gunwales. I also believe the sundeck and other upholstered seating uses wood.

45Auto

Commander

The new Caravelles don't use any wood.

http://www.caravelleboats.com/

The Caravelle Interceptors are extremely nice boats. Not sure when they started the wood free construction though.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Carolina Skiff just introduced a new 25' WA this year. They use no wood in their construction. It is a really nice looking boat.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I think you'll find the top walkaround builders still use wood in their construction.

Here is an article by Dave Pascoe that discusses composite construction.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm

DANG!@

That is a great article, and somewhat scary all at the same time...

Also made me realize I have one of those "chopper gun" boats from the mid 80's.... *sigh*

hokiepoq

Seaman

Thanks for all the responses. To answer the one question, the Glastron was from the late 60's. Those Carolina Skiffs seem appealing. Worth looking into.

CaptainYARRR

Seaman

Supposedly my Monterey doesn't use any wood. Except trim of course.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

My '08 glastron uses plywood on the sundeck, and under the back seats I think is plywood incased in fiberglass. However the entire deck, hull and transom are composite/fiberglass. I noticed when mounting the transponder that it was a grey material and not wood when drilling.

Ian

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought SeaRay was known for not using wood.

bigb2008

Seaman

Searay's do not use wood at all, at least in their smaller end boats. Not sure about some of their larger models, I'm sure the 60' Sundancer has got to have some wood somewhere...

hokiepoq

Seaman

That article above sure wasn't kind to Searays. I know there are well made boats with no wood in the hull (e.g. SeaPros), just not sure which are the best. I do think a lot of Carolina Skiffs and seeing as they make Sea Chasers, that looks like a good bet.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I do think a lot of Carolina Skiffs and seeing as they make Sea Chasers, that looks like a good bet.

If your thinking about running this boat in the Bay the 17 degree deadrise on those boats will beat the fillings out of your teeth.

hokiepoq

Seaman

If your thinking about running this boat in the Bay the 17 degree deadrise on those boats will beat the fillings out of your teeth.

Thanks, I respect your opinion. Not sure I understand the deadrise degree and what that means. Do you have better suggestions? I'd like a 21ft walkaround, and I guess the only thing I'd admiment about is no wood in the hull. People will say that the best boats have wood in the hull, but until someone can scientifically prove (I do work for NASA you know) that water introduced into wood glassed over with fiberglass will not incite rot, I'll remain unconvinced. I have WAY too much evidence to the contrary. Seapro? Seachase? Certainly there is one out there without wood in the hull.