• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What boats don't have wood in the hull?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What boats don't have wood in the hull?

I know I'm going to anger the purists. I've had a number of boats - VIP, Proline, Glastron, Thunderbird - all have had rot issues. Frankly, I'm really tired of dealing with it. I finally replaced my transom in the VIP with coosa board and it worked great. Looking at moving to a 20ft to 23ft WA and I really want a composite only hull. The idea of all fasteners going through wood just brings back all kinds of bad memories. I know Seapro and Seafox make them. Do people know the others and about when they went to no-wood hulls?

Thanks!

Re: What boats don't have wood in the hull?

What year was your Glastron?

They mostly eliminated wood when they started their VEC construction. I believe this was in 2001, any Glastron with a VEC logo has no wood in the Hull, Stringers, Floors or Transom.

I have found some wood in mine in the dash area and small pieces under the gunwales. I also believe the sundeck and other upholstered seating uses wood.
    2004 Glastron SX 195
    Volvo 5.0GL-D SX-M

Comment

I think you'll find the top walkaround builders still use wood in their construction.

Here is an article by Dave Pascoe that discusses composite construction.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm
      Grady White 226
      200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
      Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
      Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
      ICOM M504A VHF
      Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

The new Caravelles don't use any wood.

http://www.caravelleboats.com/

The Caravelle Interceptors are extremely nice boats. Not sure when they started the wood free construction though.
        Any opinions expressed above are worth exactly what you paid for them!

Comment

Carolina Skiff just introduced a new 25' WA this year. They use no wood in their construction. It is a really nice looking boat.
          2008 Carolina Skiff J16
          1994 Nissan 25hp

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
            I think you'll find the top walkaround builders still use wood in their construction.

Here is an article by Dave Pascoe that discusses composite construction.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm
            DANG!@

That is a great article, and somewhat scary all at the same time...

Also made me realize I have one of those "chopper gun" boats from the mid 80's.... *sigh*
            Thanks,
            Num

1978 - Aquasport "Xscape" 190BR, 78' 175hp Evinrude (Newest edition)
            My Aquasport Rebuild
            1985 - 15' Riviera BR (converted to Fish), 76' 75HP Johnson "Stinger"
            (STILL a work in progress)
            My Riviera Rebuild

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. To answer the one question, the Glastron was from the late 60's. Those Carolina Skiffs seem appealing. Worth looking into.

Comment

Supposedly my Monterey doesn't use any wood. Except trim of course.
                2002 Monterey 218LS - 5.7L V8 EFI
                2010 Dodge Ram 1500

Comment

My '08 glastron uses plywood on the sundeck, and under the back seats I think is plywood incased in fiberglass. However the entire deck, hull and transom are composite/fiberglass. I noticed when mounting the transponder that it was a grey material and not wood when drilling.

Ian
                  sigpic
                  '08 Glastron GT205
                  '08 F150 XTR 4x4
                  Hot wife, with her hot girlfriend!

Comment

I thought SeaRay was known for not using wood.

Comment

Searay's do not use wood at all, at least in their smaller end boats. Not sure about some of their larger models, I'm sure the 60' Sundancer has got to have some wood somewhere...
                      Brian
                      2008 SeaRay 185 Sport w/ 4.3(190HP)
                      2006 Envoy Denali

Comment

That article above sure wasn't kind to Searays. I know there are well made boats with no wood in the hull (e.g. SeaPros), just not sure which are the best. I do think a lot of Carolina Skiffs and seeing as they make Sea Chasers, that looks like a good bet.

Comment

Originally posted by hokiepoq View Post
                          I do think a lot of Carolina Skiffs and seeing as they make Sea Chasers, that looks like a good bet.
                          If your thinking about running this boat in the Bay the 17 degree deadrise on those boats will beat the fillings out of your teeth.
                          Grady White 226
                          200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                          Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                          Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                          ICOM M504A VHF
                          Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
                            If your thinking about running this boat in the Bay the 17 degree deadrise on those boats will beat the fillings out of your teeth.
                            Thanks, I respect your opinion. Not sure I understand the deadrise degree and what that means. Do you have better suggestions? I'd like a 21ft walkaround, and I guess the only thing I'd admiment about is no wood in the hull. People will say that the best boats have wood in the hull, but until someone can scientifically prove (I do work for NASA you know) that water introduced into wood glassed over with fiberglass will not incite rot, I'll remain unconvinced. I have WAY too much evidence to the contrary. Seapro? Seachase? Certainly there is one out there without wood in the hull.

Comment

Working...
                            X