Marine Tex Pro's and Cons... Easy to use?

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
Any one have any pros and con's on marine tex I heard from a couple people it works good but want to get some other ideas. They say it hardens like steal but sands like wood.

here what im trying to fix.
attachment.php

salty87

Commander
Re: Marine Tex Pro's and Cons... Easy to use?

marine tex is very easy to use. it's not easy to sand though.

that said, your damage looks like it needs more than marine tex. what caused it?

if that crack goes through the glass, you need to glass it back together. if there's any flexing, cracks will likely come back.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

marine tex is very easy to use. it's not easy to sand though.

that said, your damage looks like it needs more than marine tex. what caused it?

if that crack goes through the glass, you need to glass it back together. if there's any flexing, cracks will likely come back.

im not sure it was like that when I bought the boat this year. how would I know when its through the glass? Also what does that mean through the glass. is the glass the outside (shinny part)
So you wouldnt use that to repair it I hasnt gotten any bigger and sure as hell aint gettin any small. haha let me know if I can fix now with the marine I will try if you guys dont think I should I Will wait for my step pops who used to work on fiberglass he wont be back until january. Want to use the boat as much as possible now not to much of summer left.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

First thing you need to do is drill a small hole at each end of that rip - it will keep it from traveling anymore.
Go inside your cracked area - that's where you need to make the strength of the repair happen. Then the exterior can be patched with either Marine Tex
( the color won't match ) or you can try and fade some gel coat patch for hopefully a closer color match.
And salty87 is right on the sanding part - it is not a walk in the park. Plus you're working with a corner which can be a pain - if you're not careful.
Keep us up to speed on your repair. :D

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

First thing you need to do is drill a small hole at each end of that rip - it will keep it from traveling anymore.
Go inside your cracked area - that's where you need to make the strength of the repair happen. Then the exterior can be patched with either Marine Tex
( the color won't match ) or you can try and fade some gel coat patch for hopefully a closer color match.
And salty87 is right on the sanding part - it is not a walk in the park. Plus you're working with a corner which can be a pain - if you're not careful.
Keep us up to speed on your repair. :D

Will do how do I go about repairing the inside with the same marine tex or somthing else? Do you guys think it would be better for me to wait till january when my step dad can help me with it who is good with fiberglass. I want the color to match im very picky. Its white and my boats white but looks like its a darker white.