Diver Down, Jolly Roger ... Flags

seedlings

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We take the boat to teensy lakes in Northwest Missouri. These lakes you can pretty much swim across (Smithville, Mozingo...), so its nothing like Eerie or the Ocean.

What flags should I have on hand? I see boats pulling skis or tubes raise an orange flag. I know the diver down flag, but we're not divers, and piracy isn't our thing either.

Is there a "my boat is broke and that's why we're going so slow" flag?

Thanks as always,
CHAD

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Diver Down, Jolly Roger ... Flags

Uh yea it's a orange distress flag. Discussed in detail in the water safety course. You DID take the safe boating course right?

Or an American flag hung upside down is also universal for distress.

Bill

Clam Biter

Cadet

You can put up code flags "N" and "C". Known by sailor folks as "NOVEMBER CHARLIE" (Not under command). It is also my considered opinion, that an upside down U.S. Ensign is either a sign of stupidity ordisrespect. STGC(SW) USN(RET):(

seedlings

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I didn't ask the question very well-

What flags should I carry on a 15' runabout on Lakes in Missouri? I know about the orange flag if you have skiers in the water, are there any others?

I went back to the MO water safety and didn't find mention of flags besides the Diver Down or Skier down. http://www.boat-ed.com/mo/handbook/flags.htm

For example, is there a flag for use while swimming in a cove?

Thanks,
CHAD

MRS

Commander

When ever the kids want to jump in the water to swim I put up the orange flag while they are in the water to let others know someone is in the water.