Bow rail pros & cons.

a70eliminator

Captain
A friend has offered a free bow rail, junked the boat but removed the rail for me in case I wanted it, thoughtful of him. Heck yea i would like to try it on my beater fishing boat, 67 MFG westfield closed bow runabout, I'm always climbing over the windscreen to beach tie or heave anchor it mignt be kinda nice to have, although it's just a little 16 footer would it look stupid or have any adverse effects?

45Auto

Commander
Re: Bow rail pros & cons.

Can't think of any adverse affects, can't think of any real advantages either.

I'm assuming you're talking about a 3 or 4 INCH high rail, like on the sides of a bowrider for the front seat passengers to hang on to? If you're talking about a 3 or 4 FOOT tall rail like you see on the front of a big cruiser, then yeah, I think that would look pretty stupid on your 16' closed bow ...... :)

a70eliminator

Captain

Yea he said it's about 2 foot tall and like 6' long down each side, it was a cabin cruiser, I figure there's plenty for me to play with, cut down shorten whatever, but your right mostly you see them on big boats with pulpits, I would have to trim it down to the scale, just be nice to have something to hang onto up there, for shore landing and anchor pulling.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I love mine,about 20 inches tall and wrap around the upper deck.
I set up there and hang my legs over the front while the GF drives.
Just at a slow cruise its pretty cool.Watch the bow cut through the water...

a70eliminator

Captain

Yea something like this, only on a closed bow, but just a tad higher in front tapering down the rear. Got any pics Gary?

Attachments

• smokercraft_alaskan_DLX_SSSC_15.jpg
    smokercraft_alaskan_DLX_SSSC_15.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I always thought they looked rather silly on a closed bow.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

Why not get it? It's free. Dry fit it...if you don't like it take it off and sell it or store it for a future "project". If you like it, then more power to you. just my $.02.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My last boat 19' closed bow had one and I loved it. Something to hang on to and really helped getting onto the bow for beaching etc. Plus it had a flag holder on the point I would use it for a ski flag when towing kids on tubes or teaching to ski etc, or I had an American flag for it as well it looked kind of nice on the old wellcraft. I would for sure take it cut it down a bit and try it out. Even tape it in place to get an idea of how it would look before you mount it.

ziggy

Admiral

i never thought to much about my bow rail and if it serves any useful purpose. mines closed bow w/a short height bow rail. i guess i can't think of anything useful i do with it for the most part. i know i've cussed it for being in the way for when i want to anchor. i used it once when i got hosed on the beach and couldn't get off. can't remember if i pulled or pushed on it, but i pulled one of the mount points right out of the hull. + broke my deck where the rail mounts into my deck. that was a drag. i don't use it for docking, but i do use my hardtop to hold onto, if i didn't have that, maybe i'd use the bow rail. i don't know. it's also in the way when i tie up to the dock. i use a eye on my deck for the bow line to dock. the line goes over the rail and puts the stress on that rail every wave that goes by. yes, i could go under it. but it would be drag when releasing the boat from the dock as every time i'd have to get the line out from under the rail. i go over the rail.

i do use it like utah said, to pull up on the beach and a bow rail does look cool on my boat and i think adds much to the pleasing to the eye appeal of my boat + it's oem with my boat. but other than that. i've not found much to do with it... oh, and it's in my way when i try to suntan on the ft. deck....

guess i don't have a lot of good things to say about my bow rail do i....

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I set up there and hang my legs over the front while the GF drives.
Just at a slow cruise its pretty cool.Watch the bow cut through the water...

Just be careful.... while I agree its "nice", its also illegal here in FL, (and from a few other states where I have seen similar comments). Just hate for you to get a ticket... (You can only sit on the bow with your feet dangling when the boat is at anchor).

As for the OP, I say go for it as well... I have seen numerous bow rails on closed bow boats, and I think they look sharp. Our Sea Ray SRV 200 was closed with the rail, adds a nice touch, and gives you something to grab onto when working on the bow if you slip!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Just be careful.... while I agree its "nice", its also illegal here in FL, (and from a few other states where I have seen similar comments). Just hate for you to get a ticket... (You can only sit on the bow with your feet dangling when the boat is at anchor).

Illegal in Maryland as well...and aggressively enforced