Bimini Top - How fast can you go? & What length and Height?

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at installing a bimini top for our 19ft Glastron runabout, how fast can you run the boat with one of these up?

My post #13 below has added questions about length and height.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bimini Top - How fast can you go?

I've been up to about 40 with mine with no probs. (Opened) I prob wouldnt want to go anymore though. With it up and closed I've gone 60+

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

ive gone 40 also. mine fits pretty well and is adjusted just right. this is with it open. I didnt even think twice about it, we do it all the time now. WOT even sometimes, i never take it down.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

I have a Glastron 25 ft runabout, 1st thing I do is put up the top. Run the boat at will without concern for the top. When I'm done boating for the day, I take the top down (Fold away and cover in the upright position).

Bluepike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I put mine up in the spring and leave it on until it is time to shrinkwrap it for the winter. I rarely see 40 mph but after several seasons without a problem and not getting sunburned, I'll keep going that way.

The downfall is that it acts like a sail on windy days when I am docking the boat.

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

45 and no problems- have done 70 on the highway furled and covered and no problems

45Auto

Commander

Mine goes up every time we're going to use the boat. The bimini has a little tag that says "Do Not Exceed 40 MPH With Top Up". It also usually has a 100" diameter tube strapped to the top of it. I generally stay below 50, but several times have run up over 60 (with the tube on top) without thinking about it.

I also tow it down the highway between 50 and 60 MPH with the tube strapped on top of the bimini , for a distance of about 10 miles each way.

Just make sure it's adjusted properly and the straps are tight and you'll never know it's up there - except for the shade! :)

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have the stainless steel back mounts and straps in the front. I have run 40mph no problems. I found at higher speeds the straps were beating my windows to death. Then I remembered what the guy that made my cover told me...put a twist in the strap. Since then, 50 and no issues. Just make sure everything is snug and taut.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think the real issue is not damage to the top but effect on your speed/efficiency. If I'm heading out or in, or moving, I just close it and bungee it.
Mine has strap in the rear and bar in the front. I wonder if the previous owner installed it backwards. Works fine and no apparent problem driving; I'm usually at 30 mph
21' Sea Hunt 150 Yam

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think the real issue is not damage to the top but effect on your speed/efficiency. If I'm heading out or in, or moving, I just close it and bungee it.
Mine has strap in the rear and bar in the front. I wonder if the previous owner installed it backwards. Works fine and no apparent problem driving; I'm usually at 30 mph
21' Sea Hunt 150 Yam

Yup, sounds bass akwards to me:confused:

There is no doubt in my mind that you loose speed and efficiency. But then again, I am not the most efficient person when it comes to boating.
But when the wife is hot, shade and wind!

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have done 50 with the top up, it does effect top speed.

I have a euro-style bowrider and my supports are connected to the windshield both the main pipes and the supports. I worry that it might put to much stress on the windshield. I do not know for sure but it?s in the back of my head at speeds over 35. Does anybody know if that may cause a problem?

45Auto

Commander

From Thad:

put a twist in the strap

This is EXCELLENT advice that I've never seen anywhere else. I used to make sure my straps were straight (no twists) because it looked "nicer". The straps would vibrate so bad that one of the stainless steel clips is worn half-way through. One day somebody put one on twisted and it was perfectly smooth and quiet. Since then I put 3 or 4 twists in each strap before clipping them to the boat and they don't vibrate at all.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it make any difference whether the bows are aluminum or stainless steel? We only boat in fresh water, I was meaning in terms of strength.

I'm also trying to decide between a 3 bow or 4 bow (6ft or 8ft) on our 19ft bowrider. If I started a 6ft at the top of the windshield it would not quite cover the passengers on the rear couch. If I started an 8ft top six inches in front of the top of the windshield it would cover all the rear couch and extend six inches over the sundeck over the motor.
This seems like I would get better coverage to me.

Will it look weird if it starts before the top of the windshield? Also, on height I am trying to decide whether I want full clearance to stand up or a lower profile look. Our boat is fairly low profile, what type of height have you installed on your boat?

Where is the best place to get a good deal on a top?

All advice appreciated.

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From Thad:

This is EXCELLENT advice that I've never seen anywhere else. I used to make sure my straps were straight (no twists) because it looked "nicer". The straps would vibrate so bad that one of the stainless steel clips is worn half-way through. One day somebody put one on twisted and it was perfectly smooth and quiet. Since then I put 3 or 4 twists in each strap before clipping them to the boat and they don't vibrate at all.

That's a great old trick flatbed truck drivers use to keep their straps from flapping. ;)

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bimini Top - How fast can you go? & What length and Height?

My Glastron SSV170 came with a factory installed Sunbrella bimini, and it has a tag that states "Max speed 35 MPH".

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was going about 50 trying to beat a storm to the boat ramp when I was hit by a gust and it pulled the top of the window frame off. After repairing it I generally stay below 35 with the top up.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was going about 50 trying to beat a storm to the boat ramp when I was hit by a gust and it pulled the top of the window frame off. After repairing it I generally stay below 35 with the top up.

OUCH!:(

I take it down in moderate to high winds. The frame will obviously hold, I just did not want the top to tear. Never thought about it taking the window frame off.:eek: