PVC frame to support boat cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunbird1

Seaman
I need to build some type of frame/support to hold up a tarp over my boat during the fall and winter. I have tried different things for the past few years and always wind up with puddles on the tarp. Anyone have any ideas on what the best design would be?<br /><br />My boat is a 20' cuddy with bow rail and o/b. I plan on using a blue tarp probably 15x30 from home depot. The boat is a 1990 so I really didn't want to spend money on a real cover.<br /><br />thanks for your help.

pconsolini

Cadet
Re: PVC frame to support boat cover

I made mine from 1" PVC tubing and tee fittings.<br />I used an inverted T configuration to stabilize uprights spaced about every four feet. The uprights plugged into tee fittings with tubing between to form the ridge line. make the uprights high enough to produce a fair slope in the tarp from the ridge to the boat sides to shed snow. Leave about three feet extra tubing overhanging fore and aft. Run ropes from the ridge to the trailer frame (like rafters) to keep the tarp from sagging. Drape the tarp over and arrange it to leave a small opening fore and aft to allow ventilation but still keeping out rain/smow. I used a large silver/green heavy duty poly tarp from my local marine place. It held up to last year's nasty Maine winter just fine.

the hangman

Cadet

sunbird - I have been refining my system over a period of 10 years now. I have had PVC pipes break during a snowstorm twice. I now use 1.5" dia. pipes and do not cantilever more than 24". On my 17 foot bowrider I have a 1.5" pipe that runs down the centerline from bow to stern. There are three vertical supports. I have three arched pipes running port to starbord. They are 3/4" PVC.<br />The main thing I want to stress is strength - it is a real pain in the a$$ to try to fix after it collapses in a storm. If you send me your email address I can send you a better description and ever a couple sketches.<br />Jeff in Wisconsin

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, Hangman Jeff: <br />Your information would be very helpful to me if you feel like sending a few more e-mails.<br />My 1993 Chri Craft gets inside storage, but I am considering storing my pontoon boat outside this year. Strictly a matter of economics. <br />Charles Weber<br />charlesw_1998@yahoo.com

braindead0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny, I was thinking about doing the same thing..roughly. My windshield (17' tri-hull) has rather sharp pointy corners to it.. so I intend to have a center 'pipe' running bow to stern and bowing down slightly on each end. At the windshield I'll put in a side-side frame which should also help keep the center pole stable.<br /><br />As far as size and breakage, try to use schedule 80 pipe...! It's a fair bit tougher than schedule 40.<br /><br />Anybody have any pictures of a setup like this?

pconsolini

Cadet

Oops. I said I used 1" meant 1.5" but Sch 40. If memory serves me (the frame is stored in to overhead of my garage) I had 4 uprights with the one at the stern being an inverted u to go over the motor cover. I have mine high enough to stand under when in the boat (I'm 6') so there is enough slope to the sides that snow doesn't even stick but slides right off, even the wet sticky stuff.<br />The uprights (on the centerline of the boat) go into the top of a tee with pieces of tubing in the other two openings of the fitting and running athwartships.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Hangman...would appreciate it if you could send me some of your info as well, especially interested in the side to side arch and how they are attached, thanks very much<br />bobhill@ca.ibm.com

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

hangman, add me to the list gewf631@yahoo.com<br /><br /> braindead0
My windshield (17' tri-hull) has rather sharp pointy corners to it..
Same problem on my 18' Starcraft. I purchased some 2" (I think) 90-degree elbows, and cut-out about 1" of material, in an "L" shape. These now fit nicely over the sharp corners, and are much easier on my cover - I keep 'em in the boat when not in use.

braindead0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I purchased some 2" (I think) 90-degree elbows, and cut-out about 1" of material, in an "L" shape.
I was considering the same, good to hear it worked for somebody... haven't tried it yet. <br /><br />I was thinking about simply making a frame that holds the tarp away from the corners... and gives the tarp kinda a hip-roof shape...

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a fish and ski boat. My answer is simple- I install front and rear bass seats on their pedistals then lay a 20' 1x4 acroos seats and wind shield, tarp it and works fine!

the hangman

Cadet

Charles W, Boatin Bob, and Ed F - you have mail.<br /><br />Also someone else mentioned the sharp corners of the windshild - I use those foam tubes made to insulate water pipes. They are each three feet long and about 3" in diameter, with a slit down them. I cut them to length and stick them on the windshild frame and a couple other brackets that could otherwise tear the tarp.<br /><br />Jeff

Ralph 123

Captain

hangman can you shoot me a copy too?<br /><br />Thanks.<br />rspencer2k @yahoo.com

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

braindead0 here's a picture of the PVC that I use to protect the corner. Turns-out it's 1.5" PVC.<br />
PVCCornerProtector.jpg
<br /><br />Hangman, thanks for the diagram.<br /><br />Got to ask the question guys, is this design all that different than the wood or fiberglass bows that one can purchase? They're only about $15 each, are easy to store, and accomplish roughly the same thing.<br /> These things are available here at iBoats, hopefully this link works. Regardless, here's a picture<br />
32-924.jpg

the hangman

Cadet

Ed - I tried those wood and fiberglass bows when I first got my boat. I tried several different manufacturers. One type had wood bows with an adjustable clamp - well it slipped so I drilled holes and bolted it together. THen I tried a cut to length fiberglass bow - about $30 each. That was alot better. There were still a couple problems - one, the tarp sags between the bows filling with snow - there is no center "spine"; second, the whole thing collapsed one night. I think one bow collapsed starting a chain reaction - collapsing each of the others in sequence.<br />If you do go with them - get alot of them. I think I would need about 12 of them for my 17' boat. I see you are from Chicago, so you get alot of snow and wind - it is amazing how much pressure it puts against the tarp.<br />- just my 2 cents<br />Jeff

the hangman

Cadet

Ralph - I tried sending you a copy. It didn't go through at first so I removed the space between the "2k" and the "@" It looks like it went through now<br /><br />Jeff

braindead0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The nice thing about building your own is that if you do your job right, it'll fit perfect and provide the absolute best protection.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

There was a similar discussion over at the BoatingABC board earlier this month. Here's a link to that discussion (with pics) <br /><br />Hangman, I'm almost wondering if the wood/fiberglass bows wouldn't be good for the seasonal use, then secured with a spline (rope, notched PVC) for the off-season.

the hangman

Cadet

Ed - that may work.<br /><br />I guess alot depends on how your boat is set up and whether or not you wantto drill holes<br /><br />Jeff

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the great idea! Thanks to this post, I made a simple utility boat cover support with 1 1/2" PVC pipe. It breaks down into 6 pieces for storage and it only took about $20 and an hour and fifteen minutes.<br /><br />
frame1a.jpg
<br /><br />
frame2a.jpg

bubbakat

Captain

outstanding looking job lakelover that will get the job done

Status
Not open for further replies.