Moeller Fuel Tank HELP!!!!

JarJarBlinks

Cadet
Hi,

I recently purchased a Moeller 19 gallon fuel tank from the iBoats store to install in a 17' ski boat I own. I have been running around for the past few days gathering everything I need to get this done but I am having some serious trouble finding something.

I need to find the fitting that threads into the fuel withdraw port.

I brought it to a NAPA store and we spent some time at the brass fittings section looking for the proper fitting. We tried a bunch of different ones and couldn't find anything that works. The best we could come up with is a 1/4 NPT fitting but it just wouldn't thread in right. The fitting would jam up after about a single turn. Jammed like when you are threading a metric nut onto a imperial bolt. The NAPA guy there said that maybe the threads were buggered and that I should run a tap through it. I dont like the idea of having to tap a fitting on a brand new fuel tank.

Is there some special fitting I should be using or should I just force a 1/4 NPT fitting into it or should I just tap it? What should I do iBoaters?

http://www.iboats.com/18_Gallon_Per...2186180--**********.382382309--view_id.361861

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Moeller Fuel Tank HELP!!!!

Machined aluminum 3/8" withdraw fitting has 360? rotational capability for hook-up convenience.

Ayuh,... The quote is from your link,...
Are you screwing into Plastic, or Metal,..??

"the fitting that threads into the fuel withdraw port."

With the diptube,+ anti-siphon valve,..??

JarJarBlinks

Cadet

Ayuh,... The quote is from your link,...
Are you screwing into Plastic, or Metal,..??

"the fitting that threads into the fuel withdraw port."

With the diptube,+ anti-siphon valve,..??

I believe that the quote is referring to the outside diameter of the withdraw port itself and not the threads. The threads look like 1/4 NPT but it doesn't actually thread properly.

On this like it shows the installation instructions. On page 2 of "More Info", it shows the step where you are suppoed to "thread a hose bard into your tank's fuel withdraw" but it does not specify what size.

The fuel withdraw port is located right next to the fuel fill port. It is a fitting that can rotate 360* and, as seen on the pictures, does not come with a hose barb attached.

http://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=2563529

Bondo

Staff member

The threads look like 1/4 NPT but it doesn't actually thread properly.

Ayuh,... Every 1 I've ever seen was 1/4" or 3/8" pipe thread...

I'd run a tap into it...

Btw,... That fitting Should be the Anti-siphon Valve,.... Not just a hose barb...

JarJarBlinks

Cadet

Figured it out!

There was a little tiny metal shaving about the size of 2 grains of sand that didnt cut away completely when they ran the tap in. I cut the little piece out and now a 1/4NPT threads beautifully!

Thank you!