Trim/ tilt how to check the oil? Do I have to check oil in lower unit?

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
Just wondering if this is somthing I should be checking and where to find it at. Also wanted to see if I had to check the oil in my lower unit.

Reason im asking is because whenever I raise up the engine with the trim i have to hit the button twice for it to work . Is this normal not sure if its a safty feature or somthing.

bustermin

Banned
Re: Trim/ tilt how to check the oil? Do I have to check oil in lower unit?

Year, Make, Model, HP

nlain

Commander

I speak from Mercruiser experience, first click is trim, second click is trailer position, is this how you are doing it. If Merc there could be a gear oil bottle some where in the engine compartment, some mounted on the engine, some on the back wall, inside transom, maybe some where else depending on what the boat mfg wanted to do at that time. On a 1987 year model you may have to check the drive oil by pulling the top plug on the drive and make sure the oil level is to the bottom of the hole. Your trim pump will be mounted somewhere in the stern, back, end of the boat and you would check trim oil there. Buy yourself a repair manual, you need one.

Last edited:

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

I speak from Mercruiser experience, first click is trim, second click is trailer position, is this how you are doing it. If Merc there could be a gear oil bottle some where in the engine compartment, some mounted on the engine, some on the back wall, inside transom, maybe some where else depending on what the boat mfg wanted to do at that time. On a 1987 year model you may have to check the drive oil by pulling the top plug on the drive and make sure the oil level is to the bottom of the hole. Your trim pump will be mounted somewhere in the stern, back, end of the boat and you would check trim oil there. Buy yourself a repair manual, you need one.

Hey its actully a 1989 not that it matters messed up when putting that, But the trim button has a up and down and then I have a whole other button for the trailer. If I take some pics later can you help me out by showing me where to check the oil for the lower unit and the brain fart :eek:.... the thing that lifts and lower the engine I have two on each side.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

its a v6 merc I/O

nlain

Commander

I was thinking about my newer boat not the old one, 1987 SeaRay, still Merc, had the 2 switch control for trim and tilt, you should not have to hit the switch twice for it to work the trim, I used to have to hit the trailer button to get mine started working, it eventually quit when I was getting ready to trade it in. We are back to the manual, I am not sure if that is something you can put a relay/switch in or not, the upper portion of the trim pump is the electrical part. If the switch at the control lever is making contact every time then the problem is in the pump section. Get a helper, one to work the switch and one to use a test light at the pump connections, if the light comes on everytime the switch is moved then the problem is in the pump, if not then it is probably the switch. When you find the trim pump, one pump for the two cylinders you see on the drive, you should see a plug in the top of it where you can check the fluid. When you look at the drive on the upper section you will see a big slotted screw head, that is where you check the fluid level in the drive. Look at the bottom of the drive and you will see another one on the bottom and toward the front of the drive, that is where you drain and fill from when it is empty. If just a little low you can add at the top.

nlain

Commander

Got called away, I'm at work, you need a Mercruiser manual, you can get one on iboats.com, it will be the best money you will ever spend on the boat. It will show you lube points, how to check things, how to repair what your abilities allow you to do, there is an electrical diagram that covers the engine and drive systems including the part of the instrument panel tied to the engine and drive systems.

On filling the drive, when drained, you should do every year, you must remove the upper plug to vent the drive and fill from the bottom until the oil comes out of the top hole. You cannot fill an empty drive from the top, the oil will not go to the bottom. There is a little inexpensive pump that will screw right on the quart bottles of oil, makes it real easy to fill the drive.

I will be glad to help you any way I can.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Still looking for them.... Havent been able to find them yet and my camra broke so I cant take pictures of the engine. I really need to find them because I believe somthing is leaking oil based materail in my boat because I can see it in the bilge area check all other fluids and there good but need to find the hydrolic fluid can someone help

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Wow looking at that im soo lost. Thanks for all your help thow think im going to have to by a new camra to have some one point it out or bring it to a mechanic. Do you guys even check your hydriolic fluid or im I just being over crazy about my boat.. Lol

nlain

Commander

I was posting links in another thread of yours and apparently I thought I had copied one that I did not, one of the links goes to the other thread and is in
it. I was trying to post links of the pumps so you would have some idea of what you were looking for and one was of the shift bellows not pump. The pump link I was trying to post is here now. Of course since it is Merc, think black with wires, relays and hoses all on a bracket and should be mounted at the stern on one side or the other, my old boat was on one side and the one I have now it is mounted on the other side. Just realized there is a prestolite pump, link added for that. It does not hurt one bit to check the oil just in case there is a leak.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...P+AND+BRACKET+OILDYNE+PUMP/+PLASTIC+RESERVOIR

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...esc=HYDRAULIC+PUMP+AND+BRACKET+PRETOLITE+PUMP

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

I was posting links in another thread of yours and apparently I thought I had copied one that I did not, one of the links goes to the other thread and is in
it. I was trying to post links of the pumps so you would have some idea of what you were looking for and one was of the shift bellows not pump. The pump link I was trying to post is here now. Of course since it is Merc, think black with wires, relays and hoses all on a bracket and should be mounted at the stern on one side or the other, my old boat was on one side and the one I have now it is mounted on the other side. Just realized there is a prestolite pump, link added for that. It does not hurt one bit to check the oil just in case there is a leak.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...P+AND+BRACKET+OILDYNE+PUMP/+PLASTIC+RESERVOIR

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...esc=HYDRAULIC+PUMP+AND+BRACKET+PRETOLITE+PUMP

thanks man your a big help. Yeah i have seen that before its on the starbord side of my boat. It looks like the first link in your response do I check it where #1 is in the link that black cap.

nlain

Commander

Looks like you have the one with the plastic reservoir, remove the cap and check the oil there, I would not fill to the top as there needs to be some expansion room. I never checked mine on my old boat and never had a leak so I would have to look in the manual to see where to fill it to.

You need one of these also, it will be a great help to you.

http://www.iboats.com/SELOC_SERVICE...2522464--**********.610917955--view_id.441346