Electric Engine Hatch Opener

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My 2002 Fours Winns 214 Funship has an electric engine hatch opener. It operates intermittently- sometimes it works, most times not. Anyway, it was that way when I bought the boat two years ago. I just raise the engine hatch manually. I actually prefer that method. Pulling it up manually and placing the hold-open rod takes less time than using the electric motor, which I view as more a novelty than useful.

I am considering removing the electric hatch opening assembly. I hardly ever use it and when I perform maintenance on that side of the engine compartment, I have to take the hatch operating jackscrew assembly out for access. It's really easy to do (just remove two pins), but it's a nuisance that I wouldn't have to fool with anymore.

Anyway, here's my question: Is there any reason I should not do this? I will hang on to the parts so when I decide to sell the boat, the new owner can reinstall if they want to.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Electric Engine Hatch Opener

It possibly also helps to hold the cover down, so the best thing would be to replace it with the manual rods...otherwise it'll tend to pop open at high speeds (towing) or in rough waters.

Ian

four winns 214

The weight of the hatch keeps it from flying open. It's a very large hatch and carries the weight of a seat for two and the contents of a transom storage locker. The only the thing the rod does is hold the hatch open.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Think about replacing the mechanism with a couple of gas springs. It will really make lifting the hatch easy, and hold it open for you. Like the hatch on a SUV.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have a similar ram, I have attached a wiring instruction that is supposed to make them better, mine is a royal PITA too if it is the same . . .

Attachments

• Hatch wiring instructions.jpg
    Hatch wiring instructions.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0

four winns 214

Yeah, that's pretty much my installation. I've done some trouble shooting. The DPDT switch is getting power, but I haven't gone beyond that. I'm not motivated to spend any time on it because I just have no interest in using it. One has to stand at the helm and hold the switch down and wait while the hatch opens slowly. In the same amount of time, I can have the hatch open and be checking the oil.

Fun Times

Staff member

Think about replacing the mechanism with a couple of gas springs. It will really make lifting the hatch easy, and hold it open for you. Like the hatch on a SUV.
This is normaly a good idea, But in this style boat it does not work right. What happens is the gas shocks when mounted will push the hatch forword and some times off center the hatch and the varry front lip of the hatch will hit the top of the rear base wall where they meet and the hatch is hard to close and it starts making a groove mark in the gel coat from hitting. And to help try to fix this you would need to then install a spacer at the rear deck hing to try to space the front from hitting, And on some boats that does not work 100% but helps a little.The only thing that works good is no shocks or a electric engine hatch opener system and that design will pull back on the hatch so it will open and colse with a good gap in between.

Fun Times

Staff member

Yeah, that's pretty much my installation. I've done some trouble shooting. The DPDT switch is getting power, but I haven't gone beyond that. I'm not motivated to spend any time on it because I just have no interest in using it. One has to stand at the helm and hold the switch down and wait while the hatch opens slowly. In the same amount of time, I can have the hatch open and be checking the oil.
Do you think it is not getting power or do you think the motor is frozen? if you look at the base of the motor to the electric engine hatch opener there should be a zirt grease fitting to pump in some grease into it and that might help you some. Also if you trace the wires there might be a braker box mounted to the transom wall area that you might have just triped a braker for some reason. Make sure the batterie post wires are clean and varry tight.Also there should be a fuse box under the dash area that could be bad if you have no power.Dose your hatch have a handle or lock to help open it when you need to by pass the motor? Or do you just use the base of the seats.;):)

Fun Times

Staff member

I have a similar ram, I have attached a wiring instruction that is supposed to make them better, mine is a royal PITA too if it is the same . . .
Is this the system that offers a relay that should give the hatch more power to make it faster to go up and down? Mike at Rex marine has a system like that and he talks about it all the time and every one that has it loves it, But I am not sure if it would work with this style, I never looked in to it.

boatfxr

Recruit

Is this the system that offers a relay that should give the hatch more power to make it faster to go up and down? Mike at Rex marine has a system like that and he talks about it all the time and every one that has it loves it, But I am not sure if it would work with this style, I never looked in to it.
Do you have a address or website for Mike or Rex Marine so I can contact them. Working on a 3250 Pusuit. Wire the motor temorarily directly to a good DC source and it will open the hatch in about 20 seconds. Would like to see if their wiring schematic or kit components are available for purchase.