Can't remove seat post from base

wormil

Cadet
My boat has 3 seat bases that accept the wedge type seat posts, one base up front and two in the rear. I cannot get any of the posts out of the bases. I removed one base thinking it would easier to get the post out but still, even beating it with a hammer it will not come off. Yes I've press the little spring thingy but they are too tight or perhaps corroded. Any suggestions?

The one in the picture may be original to the boat but the one up front doesn't look very old.

Attachments

• seat_.jpg
    seat_.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0

FlyinGuy1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Can't remove seat post from base

I could be off the mark here...

In my experience, the post doesn't come off the base. Why do you need to post off the base anyway? I've always just removed the seat, then took the base off the floor. Reinstall the new carpet or whatever, and attach the base/post unit to the floor. Then good to go!

Splat

Lieutenant

I had one get stuck good this year. I simply used a dead blow hammer and gave a couple good whacks at the top of the post side to side, then If i remember correctly I had to use a screw driver under the little spring tab and pry up slightly.

Bill

Splat

Lieutenant

Also since it's allready out, take some tape or a piece of string and tie the locking tab out of the way, then turn the base upside down and support just the base so the pole is hanging in mid air and give it a good thwrap from the bottom. You may have to use a small piece of pipe or something similar to hit the nipple on the end of the post through the base.

Bill

wormil

Cadet

Tried the hammer on the post and screwdriver under the tab already and it didn't budge. Tomorrow I'll try pounding on the bottom of the base. I don't think mine has a nipple inside the base, it looks completely hollow.

FlyingGuy: the two rear bases are side by side next to the outboard so that you can move the seat either to the center or off to the side, whichever you prefer. I just wanted to move the seat to the side so it would be easier to steer the tiller. The screws to both bases have rotted out although oddly the plywood floor seems to be in good shape. If I could find replacement screws I could just pull both bases, switch them and screw them back down. Maybe lag screws would work if I could find some that wouldn't rust away.

Related question and maybe I should make a new thread for it but do I need to pull up the plywood floor to put down carpet?

bangolure

Cadet

Torch, turn it up side down and apply some heat!! to it.. then knock it off with a hammer should slide off.. and use some CR6 on it overnite..(break free)

ken52

Petty Officer 1st Class

Soak with liquid wrench.

wormil

Cadet

Torch, turn it up side down and apply some heat!! to it.. then knock it off with a hammer should slide off.. and use some CR6 on it overnite..(break free)

This would be a last ditch effort since I'm pretty sure the post has a plastic liner or looks like it does. I did hose it down with WD40 yesterday so we'll see.

Expidia

Commander

I wouldn't heat it. You will expand the post and maake it tighter. If you heat anything you would want to hit the base, but since it's probably a plastic insert you will melt it.

You could try a few minutes at the base with a hair dryer to soften things up.

Pick up a strap wrench at a place like Harbor Freight and you can grip it with that. I just bought two sizes from them for like $6.00 for both.

Make sure you pry pin out of hole before you try and turn.

Posts are cheap (walmart). Worst comes to worst drill hole on each side and put a rod or big screwdriver in and twist post out.

Once out, wipe inside of post hole with silicon or the silglide stuff (NAPA store).

My Lund's captain's post was a one piece unit riveted to the base. Make sure your post is removable from the base. I found this out when I changed my seat posts for the air ride models. I had to buy new bases.

wormil

Cadet

I'm going to see if I can find replacement screws or lag screws and just switch the bases. It would have been nice maybe having the option of moving the seat back and forth but in reality I probably wouldn't do it very often.

FlyinGuy1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Related question and maybe I should make a new thread for it but do I need to pull up the plywood floor to put down carpet?

Shouldn't need to pull the wood unless it's bad. Carpet is alot easier than you'd think. Pull the old carpet, and inspect the wood. Look for soft spots, cracking, and areas not covered by some kind of sealant. Remove as much of the old adhesive as you can (wire cup on an angle grinder is the way to go). Be sure to fill/cover your old screw holes and any bare (but good) wood with an epoxy, or similar, sealant. Then it's just a matter of installing the new carpet.:)

In a nutshell, that's how it's done. There are a couple threads on this in the restoration section, but let me know if you need more specific advise.