Reminder when within 100 feet of shoreline!

Expidia

Commander
Don't learn the hard way. They don't mark rocks and stumps most places within 100 feet of shore. They don't want you in that close anyway so the locals know the rocks and get a big laugh when they see boats take out their props and lower units.

Where I go on the Hudson River it has a 6 foot tide yet . . . I can cruise along looking at the houses and a few hours later I'm coming back and spot a huge rock right where I had passed over a short time ago.

I took out a prop and had to have a chunk of my skeg welded back after running over an unmarked ridge of rocks last season cruising along at about 7 mph. I'm sure the homeowner extended this ridge 50 feet perpendicular out from his property himself just to teach people not to come in close.

I'm always amazed when I see large rocks sticking out of the water and nobody bothers to mark them.

Same goes for when I see a large floating log and watch the useless Sheriffs, or Aux CG boats look at the floating log drive and right on by!

Be careful out there!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Reminder when within 100 feet of shoreline!

** deleted **

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We're heading up to the lake house Saturday.
The entire chain is no wake within 100' of shore.

Big tickets and fines if they get you.
Three things that prevents. One, and I think most importantly, it keeps the boats with tubes and skis out far enough that people run less risk of hitting a dock. Two, it helps keep the beating and banging of our boats to a minimum.
Three, it helps reduce the erosion of the shore line.
As far as marking submerged dangers, we try to be prettty good about that here. A lot of people I know carry 1 or 2 old jugs, some painted orange, and some old rope. I hit one three weeks ago, went back to find it and it was no where to be found. I hope I don't find it the hard way again.

Sorry about your prop, but at least no one got hurt.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Don't learn the hard way. They don't mark rocks and stumps most places within 100 feet of shore. They don't want you in that close anyway so the locals know the rocks and get a big laugh when they see boats take out their props and lower units.

Where I go on the Hudson River it has a 6 foot tide yet . . . I can cruise along looking at the houses and a few hours later I'm coming back and spot a huge rock right where I had passed over a short time ago.

I took out a prop and had to have a chunk of my skeg welded back after running over an unmarked ridge of rocks last season cruising along at about 7 mph. I'm sure the homeowner extended this ridge 50 feet perpendicular out from his property himself just to teach people not to come in close.

I'm always amazed when I see large rocks sticking out of the water and nobody bothers to mark them.

Same goes for when I see a large floating log and watch the useless Sheriffs, or Aux CG boats look at the floating log drive and right on by!

Be careful out there!

Oooo Boy where about did you do this. Im in upstate ny too and often use the hudson, saratoga, LG or sacandaga i dont like going to sac because ever spot is soo low. You ever bout saratoga?? good lake but small.

I also saw a guy about 2-3 weeks ago hit somthing right under the crestent bridges in cp by that old marina / scarp boat yard.

Expidia

Commander

There is another reason for them not removing logs... (well two reasons) First is it is illegal generally to alter a river by removing logs unless they are an immediate hazard to life/property. Second is that if they removed one log but missed the one some guy hits at full steam, guess who they are going to go after? If they made it a practice to never remove any logs, then it is your fault for not seeing it.

So I guess it would be really stupid of them to mark the log with a flag :confused:

How does a "floating" log that got flushed off the shoreline from a storm or highwater or a board that broke off someone's dock alter a river?

With your reasoning you should run for political office :D

Bondo

Staff member

How does a "float" log that got flushed off the shoreline from a storm or highwater or a board that broke off someone's dock alter a river?

Ayuh,... I grew up calling them "Deadheads".... And there were Plenty of them in the Penobscot River...
Lot's,'n Lot's of Logs,+ only in 1 place til the next High Water... Then they'd move again...
There were Log Drives right up til just after I was born...

If there's a Log in the water,+ You move it,.. You've altered the riverbed as you found it...
(Not that I ever let that thought bother Me)

Btw,...Boards from other peoples docks are known as Free Lumber to Me,....;)

a70eliminator

Captain

So I guess it would be really stupid of them to mark the log with a flag :confused:

How does a "float" log that got flushed off the shoreline from a storm or highwater or a board that broke off someone's dock alter a river?

Petty I agree but the division is funny about stuff like that here too.
The Zebra muscles have now filtered from Lake Erie into other inland lakes by way of boat bilges, fishermen and pleasure boaters alike are urged to use bleach in bilges after each outing. Picking up a log may have a consequence that nobody would have ever guesed.

a70eliminator

Captain

I messed up

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think the guy was referring to pilings (vertical) as logs rather than floaters?

The problem with people marking stuff is that you get ambiguous markers. Some places I go, they mark both the ever-changing channels and the bars/oyster rocks with the same marker (a bamboo or PVC pole). And then, I suppose, hide in the marsh to watch the show!

Expidia

Commander

Oooo Boy where about did you do this. Im in upstate ny too and often use the hudson, saratoga, LG or sacandaga i dont like going to sac because ever spot is soo low. You ever bout saratoga?? good lake but small.

I also saw a guy about 2-3 weeks ago hit somthing right under the crestent bridges in cp by that old marina / scarp boat yard.

Saratoga Lake has too many clowns on it. Trying to launch under that bridge is a battle field. Lake too small anyway.

After Lake George and Lake Champlain, Sac. Lake is boring and poor fishing too (from acid rain is my guess). Yet they still show a pic of their record Northern Pike in their ads which was caught many years ago.

Mohawk and Hudson has a lot of floating debris after rains like last month. Hudson below Newburgh has some spectacular scenery.

Hudson River is a great waterway. We launched out of Newburgh on Sat and Sun. Cruised on past West Point and down thru Haverstraw Bay out to the Tappen Zee bridge.

From the Tappan Zee you can see NYC about 20 miles away so it was beautiful on Sunday so we said what the Hell and pointed the bow South to the City.

We always wanted to view Manhattan from our boat. Finally did it!
Not bad on a 14' 9" aluminum.

DSC05870.jpg

Check out a few of the NYC pics: (click on a pic to view it larger)
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa2/expidia/NYC 7-5-09/?mediafilter=images

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

How does a "floating" log that got flushed off the shoreline from a storm or highwater or a board that broke off someone's dock alter a river?

depends on where you live... in my area, those floating logs are often the size of 100 foot trees that ended up in the river after spring thaw. They float/drag for awhile, before finally hanging up and waiting for an inexperienced boater's hull.

There is no way to mark all of them, and if you mark some of them, you end up with MORE accidents overall. People tended to become complacent and assume that logs were marked, and no longer checked areas out before zipping through. If people know that logs are never marked, and its pretty easy to figure that out, then people will tend to at least use some caution going into new areas.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Be careful out there!

one reason a GPS with navigation maps is so worth the money...along with a depth sounder.....especially if you dont know the area real good.

I was going to say that the hudson near Albany has maybe..maybe a 1-2 foot tide.

but down near the city it is much higher

if you come out into the sound near the city the tides go as high as 9 foot!!!

there are a few mussle beads-areas that lurk just under the water all around the sound...they are not marked.....you just neep a good map or a gps

enjoy the river!!

I stay away after heavy rains, and during the spring....it is like chocolate milk loaded with junk

bob

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

Forget 100' from shore. I was up fishing last week on a lake resevoir where for hundreds of yards the topo map says 50'. This water is surrounded by canyon like surroundings. 300yrds from shore lies 3 pointed islands ranging from 6-20' above the water line. I figure I'd slow down and cruise between two of the island which is separated by 100yrds or so, to mark fish. I hit a rock 12" below the water line going 5mph. This rock is about 6' in diameter. I'm watching my FF and the depth change from 50' to 1' before registering on my FF. I was so scared and pissed. No puncture in my hull, but it's scratched at the keel line, sides, and my skeg is scratched as well. I was lucky. No buoy whatsoever to mark this area. I race back to the dock to see how my hull is. At the dock, I notice a sign saying somewhere along "Water level fluctuates, watch for structure" or thereabout.

Expidia

Commander

one reason a GPS with navigation maps is so worth the money...along with a depth sounder.....especially if you dont know the area real good.

I was going to say that the hudson near Albany has maybe..maybe a 1-2 foot tide.

but down near the city it is much higher

if you come out into the sound near the city the tides go as high as 9 foot!!!

there are a few mussle beads-areas that lurk just under the water all around the sound...they are not marked.....you just neep a good map or a gps

enjoy the river!!

I stay away after heavy rains, and during the spring....it is like chocolate milk loaded with junk

bob

Yikes, a 9 foot tide. I can't imagine that! I hate dealing with 6 footers. I would not even think of going on the Hudson without a GPS.

Much of the river in the channel in spots is only 12 feet deep at low tide. Wander out of the cahnnel a few feet and WACKO, there goes a prop.

We cruised South along the East side of Manhattan on Sunday. I turned around a mile or so just before the financial district. It was already around 4pm and the wind was picking up. I could see the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in the distance.

Next time we will use the East River to almost circumvent Manhattan without actually going near the open bays of the Ocean.

I'll do it real early in the AM with no winds or bad weather in the forecast.
I'll also put my other 6.5 gallon gas tank onboard, so I won't have to worry about running low on fuel.

Next boat (a 24 footer) I'll go out the East River to the Long Island sound and around to the Statue of Liberty and back up the Hudson.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree with others that marking hazards is a great liability. Give people a chance to be stupid and many will take you up on it, i.e. - mark 90% of the hazards and many of the boaters will believe that all 100% are marked.

It is very easy, and tempting, to blame officials for not marking hazards. Don't blame them, blame the litigious society we have created. :(