1990 Sea Ray 160 I/O... hour meter location?

BF

Lieutenant
Hi all,

Just bought a 1990 Sea Ray 160 in really good condition. It has the 3.0 Mercruiser... Previous owner said he had rarely used it in the 5 years he owned (a few hours per summer), and that the previous owner rarely used it also. Condition of the boat makes me believe it's true... There is no hour meter on the dash, but in the owner's manual it says that the hour meter is located in the hour meter box on the bilge bulkhead. I looked, but wasn't able to find it.

Does anyone know whether the small Sea Rays maybe did not have an hour meter installed? Or can some one give me better directions where to find it?

I find it hard to believe that in 1990, Sea Ray would build an I/O boat with no hour meter. (?)

Thanks

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: 1990 Sea Ray 160 I/O... hour meter location?

I don't find it hard to believe at all.
If not in the dash, it would be in the engine compartment somewhere.

Why is it important?

BF

Lieutenant

just curious... plus I'd thought I could keep track of the hours that I put on it from this point on.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

my bayliner doesnt have an hour meter. kinda bugs me, i would like to keep track of maintenance, use, etc. I have heard of other boats not having them either.

BF

Lieutenant

just find it funny that the owner's manual says there is one in a box somewhere by the engine... either this particular boat doesn't have one, or me (and the previous owner) haven't found it. The owner's manual covers several sea ray models, so I guess it's possible that the meter part only applies to other models...

no biggie, I bought the boat anyway, but of course if it's got one there somewhere, who wouldn't want to know what the meter reads??

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I would guess that 90% of small boats were built without an hour meter. In many cases they were an option you could order when the boat was new.

yep, just like mine didnt come with a trim gauge, even though its all wired up for one. same deal i guess, its about options and ordering when its brand new.

TilliamWe

Banned

just curious... plus I'd thought I could keep track of the hours that I put on it from this point on.

Okay, just add one yourself.

SG Goobacks

Cadet

Try looking under the stern pad on the port side. Mine was tucked in the area where the original cover top/canopy is stored. It is a hour meter and reset switch all in one.
Mine is a 1990 190BR so it might be the same.

BF

Lieutenant

Thanks... I'll check there tomorrow.... Yes, it might be the same place on mine... I haven't yet had the top out and set up yet so wouldn't have seen it in there.

mtbdudex

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just for ref, my 1996 Four Winns Horizon 170 4.3L did not have a hour meter, when I bought it part of the deal was the dealer had to install one, which they did in the engine compartment:

here it is:
IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

Yea, it is nice to have to track usage.

BF

Lieutenant

update... nope, it's not in the storage bay for the top... Thanks though. It looks like mine never had one installed. Oh well...

Thanks for the pict's mtb... I may do that too.