2-piling boat lift. Brackish water. Electrolysis. Anodes?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
Need help quick. I think I'm going for this 2800lb mini-lift. He can install it this week.

I'm looking at the Magnum Mini Mag 2800lb boat lift. For an 1100lb Boston Whaler clone. It needs only 2 pilings, so 2 galvanized tracks run down the pilings (parts of the tracks are always under water).

To be installed in brackish water.

The manual states that it should ALWAYS be unplugged when not in use, so the ground connection won't lead to electrolysis, metal-rot.

I assume attaching zinc anodes to the lift tracks would help lots.

The lift is $4K installed. About $3K cheaper than a normal 4 piling lift, which would include 2 new pilings.

Any thoughts?

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2-piling boat lift. Brackish water. Electrolysis. Anodes?

the galvinised metal will eventually corrode. Go for the extra 3K and use 4 pilings. Helped the neighbor rebuild his 10K, galvinised lift ACE LIFT, 2 weeks ago. Was a rebuilding kit, cradel bars were $305 apiece. they no longer use the spreader bars between the cradels as the bunks serve the same purpose.
As long as you are putting a lift in, dont scrimp, do it right and spring for a few extra lbs. of capacity. When you take the boat off the lift, raise the lift and rinse it with fresh water. Dont leave the lift in the water when it is empty just for the convenience on your return. If taken care of, galvinised will last a very long time. They only get damaged when allowed to stay submerged over a period of time. Also, avoid remote controls, can get you in trouble from random radio signals. ALSO, never walk away from the lift if it is operating, not even for a moment. Turn it off if you are distracted. Know from experience. regards FRED

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have seen a lot of 2 piling lifts, i really like them. they are very popular in the FL Keys.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

$7K for a big lift & new pilings was out of budget, so I got the MiniMag 2800 installed.

I'll probably use 2 Grouper Zincs that Adjuster recommended, unless someone knows of a source of a large zinc with a wire attached.

I need a separate zinc for each track since it appears each track is electrically isolated from the other.

There's no easy attach point for a normal zinc on this lift (that wouldn't interfere with the lift movement), so a zinc with a wire is needed.

Here's a pic of a Great Blue Heron admiring my new lift. (Of course, he stood on the motor and carped on the on/off switches 5 minutes after the pic, so I guess he agreed with pine island fred)

Jim

Attachments

• lift5 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    lift5 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 1
  • lift1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    lift1 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Fish-Zinc.jpg
    Fish-Zinc.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1