Alarm sounds before cranking motor?!

TexasX

Seaman
I just took the boat out last weekend and ran great. I put the boat in yesterday and when I turn the key right before turning the motor over the alarm sounds. WHat would cause this a short somewhere, because the motor is not overheating and peeing, heck the alarm sounded out of the blue ?? Could it be a battery voltage issue?

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Alarm sounds before cranking motor?!

It always does that. You should hear the alarm sound when you turn the key to the on position if the motor isn't running.

TexasX

Seaman

Yes, but it stays on after the motor is on. The motor is not overheating and peeing just fine. It has never made this sound before.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So it sounds before cranking and WHILE RUNNING ?

My 1970's vintage oil buzzer sounds horrible, turns right off after start-up.

oursanity

Cadet

I had the same continuous alarm on my boat. It turned out to be a faulty tach gauge. The tach gauge had all the warning lights built in. Had to replace the whole gauge. My setup is a 2005 Aloha pontoon with a 115 Johnson 4 stroke. Hope this helps.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

On many engines, it is standard to have alarm and lights when the key is turned before starting.

This lets you know that the alarms are working. At least the oil pressure alarm, which loses its ground when oil pressure gets above 5 PSI.

Hope you don't have a problem with your boat.

TexasX

Seaman

Well it turned out to be the battery. I read elsewhere that sometimes the voltage of your battery will casue the alarm to sound right away. I replaced with a new battery and problem solved.