What year is my Valco model # A 12

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a 12' Valco and trailer for $100 and was curious how old this boat is ? I've had 3 others that worked ok ( Sevlor raft - popped , 17 ft. Canoe - got tired of paddling , 12' portabote , was ok , but was a pain to set up and take down )

so yester day I got this , I assume for cheap , I also have a buddy in the sierras with a 9.5 hp johnson for $75 I'll get next weekend !

100_1001-1.jpg

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: What year is my Valco model # A 12

Welcome to iboats.

PLEASE resize the photos to 640 x 480 which is the forum acceptable size.

Older boats are very difficult to properly age. I see it has registration numbers.... what year does the registration reflect?

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice

Theres no year on the registration, which I obviously checked before I asked here.

the pic was resized !

I thought by telling you the model number that , that would narrow it down ! Being that its an " A 12 " , I would assume it was one of the first Valco 12 footers built, since the models , normally for valco's on iboats.com, have a letter in front of the size boat and latter years have latter letters. , ex - B, C, D, etc. Unfortunately , they start back to 1972 - with a " B " model, so I know it's older than that, or at least I would make that assumption ...

Do you have a clue ?

willyrocket

Seaman

11118.jpg

Just picked this one up also a few weeks back. Trying to figure out year also. Dont have a clue. Its 12', about all I know.......

Very stable little boat with 2 adults and a kid......

willyrocket

Seaman

I cant find ANY info on the net!!!!!!! I would at least like to see a pic of the decal that came on the side of the boat for when I restore it. Looks like it may have been a set of wings?????

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Thank you for resizing :)

The owners of the current company that produced Valco have shut the doors due to the economy :(

I am surprised the registration does not reflect the year.

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for resizing :)

The owners of the current company that produced Valco have shut the doors due to the economy :(

I am surprised the registration does not reflect the year.

It was first registered in 2002, which was probably either because it really hadn't been registered before or it had fallen out of the DMV system and after so many years they start another registration on it .......clearly it's older than a 2002, being that it's a riveted boat which manufacturers stopped doing along time ago ...

The motor I got for it , turned out to be a 1988 Johnson 9.9 hp.

alnvilma

Recruit

Identical to my 1967 A12. Mine has the tag and most of the logo

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine is a 1960 Valco, but I dont see any model # anywhere on it or the title. Just says Valco 13'.

Looks a bit different than yours though...

You can see the decal on the side a little

picture.php

picture.php

Bowsprit

Cadet

I have this model and it retains the registration plate. It states the manufacture date as 1967 and model as A12. This IS a great little boat and paired with my Yamy 9.9, it really scoots. I know everyone downplays the riveted boats and I'd agree that welded is certainly more reliable but I haven't had a leak yet ( good old American quality and craftsmanship) plus, I'm extremely nostalgic and like things older and this is the type of boat my dad or my grandfather would have owned as Valco was and is such a trusted name. When I'm not trolling for Kokes or pitching for bass, this little golden girl becomes the pleasure cruiser for my wife and I. We've spent some wonderful summer evenings pitchin' woo in her. I hope to keep this gem for many years and maybe take my grandkids out when that time comes ... just not too soon!
I posted a thread a while back about a hull protectant that was on my boat. I think I figured out what it is, marine varnish. Only reasons I can think why this would have been applied would be either to protect the aluminum from oxidizing or to provide a type of seal around the rivets or both.