Outdrive in shallow water

bear_69cuda

Commander
Morning Gang,

My question is if it's okay to use trailer up instead of trim button when in shallow water? Not like until the prop is out of the water... It just seems like the trim button itself doesn't raise drive significantly enough... I would also be going very slow...
1999 Alpha 1 gen II drive...

Thanks in advance!

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Outdrive in shallow water

My older Mercruiser the drive had three buttons to control the stern drive. The lower button lowered it, the middle button raised the drive to a position that was the highest recommended - for normal operation (i.e. throttle above idle). To raise the drive above this level both top buttons had to be pushed, raising the drive and prop to the water surface. The marine technican advised be to only operate the drive in this position if the throttle was in IDLE position.

On occasion I have operated my current VP SX drive in the full-up (trailering) position without any problem. Sure helps getting off sand bars and through shallows (skinny water) near shore. I am sure it places additional stresses on the universal joints, but I have not had any difficulties in 30+ years of boating.

Just keep off the throttle and you will probably be OK.

Enjoy the summer
erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

Splat

Lieutenant

I would worry mainly about the water pressure. Would help if you have a water pressure gauge. The higher the stern drive is the closer to the surface the prop and the water intake is and more likely you'll get cavatation in the water, thus lowering water pressure.

Bill

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercruiser officially recommends that you avoid running the outdrive (even in neutral) in full trailer position, and suggests that if you need to do it for shallow water, never go above 1200 rpm.

As long as you dont do it often, it wont accelerate the wear on the joints much beyond normal.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Thanks gang for all the replies!

This would just be on occasion very low rpm, in shallow spots... Worried about hitting skeg and prop is all!

Thanks again for the helpful information!

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would worry mainly about the water pressure. Would help if you have a water pressure gauge. The higher the stern drive is the closer to the surface the prop and the water intake is and more likely you'll get cavatation in the water, thus lowering water pressure.

Bill

at low engine speed/load that wont matter.

OK at low speed don't exceed idle speed though...

The U-Joints don't like the high angle

Every time you double the angle(turning too) on the drive you half the life. Its exponential.