Not-So-Wellcraft rot

gary fluke

Cadet
I bought a 1994 Wellcraft Excel 20 two years ago and have just now discovered the port side engine mount support to be rotten. The engine mount has broken through the 'glass skin and probing has revealed that it is resting on wood so rotten that it is soft as dirt. The engine is now canted slightly from level. The cabin decking just forward of the engine bay is rotting, too. Are Wellcraft boats known to have a problem with poorly protected wood components? Is there any way to deal with this other than to pull the 4.3L engine?

fishhunter911

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Not-So-Wellcraft rot

yikes!, this has me concerned, I just bought a 2003 wellcraft... I hope this isnt what i have to look forward to, sorry to hear about the rot, I hope you can fix it without to much trouble

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

you are ahead of the game with that 2003 Wellcraft ... its rot free, and upkeep is all it takes to keep er rot free <br /><br />when shes not in the water, keep her covered, no water lying in the bilge, water cant rot the wood<br /><br />I used to keep a sponge on board to mop out the last bit of water after washing the boat down, eh, I always liked having the boat look good, even in places only I would see!

fishhunter911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hear ya, she sits very high in the front when parked in the driveway, water runs right out of her, and wash her after every trip out, wife thinks i am a bit nutty but shes my baby and gotta take care of her, never stays wet in the bilge for any long period of time, <br /><br />Now the 2003 is a VEC hull, is it true there is very little wood in the hull?? hmm maybe I should make a new post for that... we'll see

Billnicole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 1987 wellcraft I bought new and the deck and stringers rotted out within 7 years!!!!!! No more wellcraft for me!!!! Good luck

gary fluke

Cadet

Billnicole,<br /><br />In a post I found by searching this site I found where someone said that late 80's Wellcrafts were known for rotting wood. What did you do once you found out? <br /><br />I have no idea how the boat was treated before I got it. The 4.3 engine starts and runs so well, plus it gets great fuel economy and the boat is fast and good looking, what a shame! We were all packed and ready to shove off for three days of boating in Puget Sound when I noticed the bad mount. Now the boat is at my house. I guess I'm looking at several thousand dollars to fix it.<br /><br />What is the point of using fiberglass if the boat isn't designed and built properly? This whole thing seems really bogus, don't let a boat get moist? Come on...

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ready freddy, You bought a excel. Do you see Wellcraft name on it anywhere? Not unless it was put on at the dealer.It was there cheaper line of boat. Not bad for the price but not the quality of a welcraft. find a glass shop get it fixed and enjoy your boat.

gary fluke

Cadet

I just talked to a guy at a marine repair outfit on Lake Union in Seattle which has been in business for twenty five years. He says he sees this sort of thing all the time, virtually every brand of boat. I've noticed that the fiberglass surfaces in the engine mount area are somewhat orange covered, maybe a previous owner let the bilge fill up and just left it that way. <br /><br />He said that if the mounts are shot the stringers and transom are probably rotted, too. He offered to look at the boat for free, I'll probably take him up on that. He says to remove and replace the outdrive and engine typrically runs $2500, then $6-7000 to replace virtually all of the wood in the boat, including the transom and stringers. If that is the case, of course, it is a total. He told me to knock on everything with a small hammer and that rotted areas sound like cardboard underneath. Well, I've now done that and my uneducated ear tells me that the transom may be solid and I can't tell about the stringer areas. <br /><br />I think I could pull the engine myself (garage ceiling high enough?) and have a guy do the fiberglass and wood work on the mounts in my garage, if that is all that is rotten. I'd have to somehow get the right person for sure. Oh well, its all speculation at this point.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I have a 1988 23' Wellcraft CC. Best boat I've had in 30 years. Mine is overbuilt if anything. I did have the transome replaced about 3 yrs ago but I fault the yahoos who rigged the motors & not Wellcraft. They did not seal the holes for the engine mounts properly. I had a fiberglass sandwich instead of plywood used in the transom so that I would never have to do it again.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Do the work yourself, it is not that hard at all. I just put in a new floor, transom, stringers, all that. If you do the work yourself, you will be looking at around $1000 to $1500 in supplies. There is no rocket science to working on boats, the marine shops just make people think there is some hidden black art to boat repair that justifies all that money spent.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to hear about your woes. I have a 1994 Wellcraft Excel SL20 and have heard nothing but good comments about the quality of this boat. It is a solid, mid level boat. As with anything I suppose, it all depends on the care it has been given throughout its 9 years.

catchandstrech

Recruit

Having Just Purchaseined A Engine For My 1978 Wellcraft V20 When I Brought It In To Be Installed I Was Told My Transom Was Soft. Wellcraft Is A Nice Boat Ive Just Come To Terms Old Boats Are Just Old. I Do Baby My Boat But The Previous Owners May Have Not. I Hope You Can Find A Solution I Am Lookin For A Newer Hull Just Thought Maybe You Should To.

cool hand

Cadet

Just this past summer we had our 1984 Wellcraft Elite 185 pull a motor mount out of the hull. This has been the first structural issue we've ever had since brand new. Spent about 3 grand to have it reworked this winter. Overall its been a good boat. Far better than our 1987 bayliner.