• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did boats stop using wood decking/stringers

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did boats stop using wood decking/stringers

Hello all, great site just had to join. I just bought an old 87 fiberglass capri, the floor and transom seem solid. After reading everything about old boats it seems rotting is coming eventually for my boat. I can sell it and break even. I would like to buy another boat but when did they stop using wood. I really dont want an aluminum boat, but is there a year when they all went composite/"woodless"? Thanks in advance
    Never forget those that fought for our Freedom
    1987 Spectrum 1700
    1987 Thundercraft Capri 152V
    2001 Harley FXDWG
    1974 Camaro 454

Re: When did boats stop using wood decking/stringers

Most manufacturers stop using wood around 1998 but there is still a few companys that still use wood Grady White comes to mind.

Comment

Welcome Pro5 to the forum. You will find a wealth of knowledge here and lots of members more than willing to give their 2 cents worth. Don't forget to modify your settings to show us what neck of the woods you hail from.
      Ray

Never take instruction from a guy with missing fingers.

Comment

Many still use wood today.Bayliner and Maxum included...
        sigpic

1981 ChrisCraft 210 Scorpion K,175 Johnson SeaHorse

Comment

but when did they stop using wood
          i'd think it depends on the boat mfg. my aristocraft nineteen has no wood stringers or transom. it's a 75. it's predecessor the funliner also was wood free. i think it started being mfg in 59. though don't hold me to that year...
          'Lime Time'
          1975 AristoCraft Nineteen
          Mercruiser 165hp (chevy 250 L6), MC-1 drive

Comment

Working...
          X