Mounting Tempo Platic Tank, HELP!

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer
I am trying to mount an inboard tank, (tempo 36t, 36 gal, 16" x 9.5" x 69.75"), The instructions say to allow for 3% expansion. To me this means that the tank will expand about 2.5" in length, 1/4" in height and about 1/2" in width. <br /><br />How can this be?? It is a square tank and I don't want it flopping around in the hull.<br /><br />My questions are:<br /><br />What is the best way to secure this tank and still allow for expansion.<br /><br />Also, there seems to be an issue with wear of plastic against fiberglass (I read a study of fuel tank failures on USCG site), what material is recommended as a barrier.<br /><br />This tank is being mounted in the bilge space of a 18' Mitchel. There is plenty of clearance on all sides and I can pretty much make whatever mounting would be required.<br /><br />Any help is greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Trying to get it in the water. Ed :confused:

MercilessMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mounting Tempo Platic Tank, HELP!

I used tie down straps and then foam filled around tank.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks mike.<br /><br />Still not sure about the foam, instructions say leave vented on all sides and "DO NOT FOAM IN THE TANK".<br /><br />They seemed to be pretty specific. What problems does the foam cause if any?<br /><br />Trying to get in the water. Ed.

saltwateranglin

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Ed,<br /><br />Plastic tanks are installed completely different from metal. The reason they expand and need room is from actual absortion of fuel into the poly tank material itself. Improper installation that is too restrictive can literally blow out a bulkhead or stringer. To raise it off the bottom it would be wise to lay some neopreme strips on the bottom covering the entire surface area of the tank. This will serve as a cushion for the tank and relieve the rub on the hull. If you look close at your tank it should have indents along the sides of the tank on the top. These are to accomidate wood chocks that lock the tank into the stringer system of your boat. Center your tank allowing for the expansion guidelines and cut some wood chocks to fit from the stringers to the indents. Fasten them very securely to the stringers this should get you hooked up. Do not use straps of foam. Either one will cause problems.

MercilessMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmmm, have had no problems with expansion or stringer damage, went from 40 to 50 gallon tank. My tank however, it does rest on drain tubes running from front of boat. I used closed cell foam to surround tank, like for cushions, then poured 2 part foam around this along wiht 2 straps across the top.<br /><br />Good Luck !

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Saltwater,<br /><br />Also went to tempo Web site, they sell (as one would expect) clamps that fit the indents in the tank.<br /><br />The clamps are basically a Z bracket that is secured at the bottom.<br /><br />If I use wood chocks instead (which I think I prefer, the brackets only have 4 screws each holding them to the hull), should they fit tight into the tank indentations.<br /><br />Thanks again to all.<br /><br />Trying to get in the water. Ed :cool:

saltwateranglin

Seaman Apprentice

Glad to hear you are on the right track Ed! Hope you get on the water real soon. At least you can boat year round....we are closing in on the end of our season. Good luck!