Need new side mount control

kidmet

Seaman Apprentice
I need a new side mount control. I have a 1989 Renell boat. I have no idea where to find a new control unit or what kind I need. currently it has a bombardier on it. Can anyone help me?

Boat.jpg

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Need new side mount control

Bombardier is a Quebec company which makes Sea Doo as well as many other brands for other sports and functions such as Challenger jets, Can Am ATVs and dirt bikes, Ski Doo snow mobiles and much more.
You could check their website or the nearest Sea Doo dealer for more info.

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kidmet-
This requires more info for accuracy but generally speaking, any control box will work if the cables will hook up. Many boxes will retrofit to cable type connections.

In the future, give engine type, (outboard, I/O) year and make... That helps us determine a solution.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bombardier, owns Johnson/Evinrude.

kidmet

Seaman Apprentice

I will take some pictures tonight and try and get more information for you guys. Thanks for the quick replies. More info to follow.

kidmet

Seaman Apprentice

Pictures as promised... My phone ran out of battery before I could get better pics of controller and of inboard engine.... I will edit asap.

OMCout.jpg

OMCtag.jpg

OMcoutdrive.jpg

bombcontrol.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What makes you think you need a new control? Perhaps an adjustment is all that's needed. Or new cables perhaps.

kidmet

Seaman Apprentice

My first thought was don't most of these controls have a button to move the control from reverse-nuetral-forward. But, I did go by a boat shop this weekend and the tech there felt like I might need a new cable. He talked about a mousetrap something or other and a cable that runs from that. Said it would make my control stick like that and also the engine run poorly. Anyone ever heard of this?

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

We need to know your symptoms before suggesting a solution, is it hard to shift back and forth or is it not working at all. If it is stiff then it sounds like new cables are in order, if the cables are fine and move smoothly then I would troubleshoot down to the controller and find out if it is really broken. If it is broken then you can find a new one on this site or many others that sell side mount controllers. I think the Volvo controller will work on that drive as well.

superpop

I Boats has this one and they are pretty easy to install. If that is what you need.

Our Price: $185.99 - Teleflex SL-3 Side Mount Control--Spring Sale Special
Compare at $186.99
Part # 311323-001

kidmet

Seaman Apprentice

I Boats has this one and they are pretty easy to install. If that is what you need.

Our Price: $185.99 - Teleflex SL-3 Side Mount Control--Spring Sale Special
Compare at $186.99
Part # 311323-001

The control is hard to shift between the three movements. A lot of tension. It also will hesitate a lot and sometimes not get going for a while... (sorry for lack of terminology) Like it doesn't plane for a while.

superpop

If you take that back plastic cover off of the outdrive, held on by three bolts, you should be able to see the cable where it shifts the drive. have someone get in the boat and move the controller back and forth, and watch the other end, if it is moving but really sticky or tight then you need new cables, you can also look at the cable at the Carb and see if it is moving in a fluid motion when you move the controller as well. Either way you should be able to determine pretty quick whether it is the cables or the controller. Be careful, if the cables are too tight you can actually break the controller trying to move it back and forth. If the cables do not move when you move the controller I would replace the controller, if you do replace the controller do the cables at the same time so you know that everything is working properly.

kidmet

Seaman Apprentice

If you take that back plastic cover off of the outdrive, held on by three bolts, you should be able to see the cable where it shifts the drive. have someone get in the boat and move the controller back and forth, and watch the other end, if it is moving but really sticky or tight then you need new cables, you can also look at the cable at the Carb and see if it is moving in a fluid motion when you move the controller as well. Either way you should be able to determine pretty quick whether it is the cables or the controller. Be careful, if the cables are too tight you can actually break the controller trying to move it back and forth. If the cables do not move when you move the controller I would replace the controller, if you do replace the controller do the cables at the same time so you know that everything is working properly.

Thanks for the input. I have since conceeded to a boat shop. I have been told they were reliable and have since talked to them and feel comfortable. Reason being, i boat the boat last year and did ABSOLUTELY nothing to it and ran it all season. I didn't have the boat looked over, so I think that's probably overdue by someone with a keen eye when opeing the boat up. (I did have a mechanic with me when I bought the boat, but he just did a ride along and a basic look over) So, I will tell ya in a week how it goes. I am worried that they may find other things wrong and my expected $500 bill will end up 3-4 times that.

kidmet

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know if anyone is following this, but here's the final story. The boat was customized by the original owner. The back hatch was changed and when it was opened, it pushed on the cable from the box to the engine. Because the cable was bent and kinked, the control box ended up taking the brunt of the abuse and went bad as well. new cable, new box, and a slight variation of the back hatch ended up running a little under $400. All installed. The boat is back on the water, though running a bit lean it feels and needing the speedo reconnected....