Non-Tripod Ski pole Install (outboard)

No Clew?

Cadet
Hi all- I'm new here as far as posting goes (I have gotten a ton of useful info just searching in the past). I have a 1981 Four Winns 17' Marquise w/ mid eighties Evinrude 115. I am looking to install a pylon (1.5-2.5 feet max above top of engine) however I do not want to have cables going to the bow or tripod supports cluttering the top of the rear deck. I was thinking of drilling throught the top of the coping on the splashwell and then bolting down to the floor, or even drilling through the floor and anchoring in the bilge. The splashwell/rear deck assembly on this boat seems quite sturdy and i feel that since i am not trying to go super high with the pole, I'd have the support i need without the cluttering wires/tri pod legs. Has anyone done a similar install or know of a product that would work? thanks

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Non-Tripod Ski pole Install (outboard)

I might get in trouble for this but on my last boat I wanted the same thing more for skiing than anything. I am a pretty hardcore slalom skier so I knew it had to be quite stout. I had a muffler shop bend a piece of 3 1/2" thick wall pipe to the dimensions I took to them ($40.00) it basically attached to the areas right behind the jumpseats on either sides of the splashwell. the tube went up at about a 30* angle flat across the back over the motor(still had about 2" when fully trimmed up) and then back down _/--\_ I welded plates to mount to boat with and then took a piece of 1/8" X 2" flat steel and ran that from the tube to the front of the splashwell and where the flat wrapped around the tube I used a thredded I bolt to attach the rope to. I had two tubes with two adults on each tube on that "mini tower" and it never even was in question. I spent less than $100 on it which included two cans of color matched spraypaint and it was perfect for what I needed it for, I used it for almost five years never a problem. The guy who bought the Wellcraft used it more for fishing so he turned the "mini tower" into a rod holder for when he trolled and has reported that it works killer. I had even made some head rests that I attached to it for the rear jump seats. Plus I could coil ropes up and hang on it and let them drip off in the splashwell. I will try to find a picture of it PM me if you are interested.