correct way to install jabsco impeller?

arty007

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a jabsco water puppy that needs a new impeller. I recently purchased one from a marine store and when i installed it it looks kinda weird to me!
(i dont know how there supposed to look installed :confused: )there is a plastic inside the housing that when i put the impeller in bends the ears ( or what ever there called) down ALOT! is this how it suppose to be?i took the old impeller to the store and i guess he matched it could it b the wrong one?
img563.jpg

img565.jpg

img564.jpg

img562.jpg

arty007

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: correct way to install jabsco impeller?

also can i use this pump to do an oil change off the dip stick?

Ned L

Commander

The second picture you show is correct if the pump (in this view) turns in a clockwise rotation, and the intake is on the right, and the exhaust is on the left. If things are the other way around you need to fold the vein the other way. Yes, a jabsco pump will pump lube oil up through the dip stick pipe (I wouldn't have the oil too hot.) They are self prming pumps & will pump most things, but don't like very abrasive materials (lots of sand).

arty007

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks Ned for clearing that up for me... appreciate the help.

arty007

Petty Officer 3rd Class

another question there are two wires sticking out of it.. my guess is that orange is ( pos ) black negative am i correct? when i connect to batterry as orange neg the pump seems to run a bit faster, there is no arrow or signs indicating the intake /exhaust ..any thoughts?

Ned L

Commander

Sorry, I don't know the wire hook up for that pump, should be available online, Jabsco is a big name. Keep in mind you don't want to run that kind of pump (flexible impeller) dry for more than a few seconds or you can damage the impeller.