Bass boat boarding ladder

TxWolfman

Cadet
94Stratos.jpg

Howdy,

Joe here, new to the forum. And thanks for all the info I had previously gathered on this site so that I could disconnect the shift shaft and drop my lower unit to change out the impeller. The service manual wasn't very clear on this particular piece.

Anyway, Last summer I took my wife out to the lake on 4th of July and we went for a swim. Well, low and behold, I discovered that my 52-year-old self can no longer jump out of the water and onto the bow like Flipper. I really struggled and it took me 3 attempts. I was worn out by the time I got in. I know you should be able to step on the cav plate, but I have trouble finding a grip point.

I have a 1994 Stratos 275 bass boat that does not have much of a draft and is very low profile.

I'd like to install a boarding ladder on the transom, but there is not much room. Because of that, I have narrowed it down to this model:

http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=19812

However, because of the floatation in the corners, I would have to mount the backing plate under the trough where the outboard is mounted. This would put the mounting bolts just underneath the waterline, which the ladder mfgr does not recommend (see instructions in link).

Question: If I mount the plate below the waterline (like the lower 2 outboard bolts), am I asking for trouble? Does anyone out there have any experience with these types of mounts flexing and breaking the seal?

I looked at the much-less-expensive rope ladders, but it seems that when you put your weight on them you would just go underneath the boat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: Bass boat boarding ladder

This one works on my '97 Stratos.

Oops, file too large. It's the folding type ladder for bass boats.

Attachments

• Boat Ladder.jpg
    Boat Ladder.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 0

TxWolfman

Cadet

This one works on my '97 Stratos.

It's the folding type ladder for bass boats.

Oh yes, I've seen that one. Reasonably-priced also. A couple reviews said it was flimsy, but I don't know how big the reviewer was. Does it work well for you? I'm about 190 lbs.

Thanks,
Joe

PFalcon

Seaman

Let's see if I can explain my thoughts and see if they help you.
My first thought was that will be way too low to get into from the transom with an outboard, and my getting past them is WORK.

So I took your boat did a sad quick job of attaching the step to your rig on the transom: not to perfect scale
transom_mount_bass_boat_1.jpg

So then I grabbed a stock photo of a 275Pro XLSS Stratos and threw it to the side: not to perfect scale
transom_mount_bass_boat_2.jpg

I would suggest combing the two: Buy the Transom Mount step and then Attach it to the side in one of many methods.I am now going to look at this for myself as well

Bend round tube in the shape of a "U" approx: 12" wide at the outside points.
Then a "J" hook shape so that it follows the cap past the rub rail, then continues straight down to below the waterline.
Turn each end of the tube 90 degrees towards the hull to an outside length that it would contact the hull.
Turn each end in towards one another so the ends would connect to each other at the center.
Cut a Poly deck board to fit to the Outside Dimension of your new "J" Hook.
Route a round over all around this deck piece so there are no edges anywhere.
Mount the Poly deck board between the Vertical Rails and mount your Transom Mount to the plate created.

IMO this gives you a "J" hook starboard or port entry into the vessel that is stable and solid. The transom mount block could be recessed for any other use you may find for this setupperhaps a solid dock hold off what would allow less damage to your vessel than this when tied up?

Storage issues: there always are, but it could also be done with lines and be support by the aft seat station on the upper deck, you still have to solve the swinging under the boat issue with lines.

I can draw up a quick drawing if the basic idea is as clear as mud. (I sometimes expect that everyone has years of detail work as I do)

haulnazz15

Captain

What about buying a factory ladder like what the Nitro Z-series bass boats have? If you could just order the ladder and stuff from a Nitro boats dealer and mount it on your boat, I bet it'd probably work and allow you to mount it further from the engine.

Here's a link to the Z-9 photo gallery so you can find what the ladder looks like and how it attaches.
http://www.nitro.com/boat/gallery.cfm?boat=3097

TxWolfman

Cadet

Yeah, I like that Nitro ladder a lot. That would be ideal, except for the fact that I would have to cut through the fiberglass and through all the flotation that goes from about my tie-down hook to the outside corner.

Here's another one that I like, but I'm not sure how long it is. Not much detail in the specs. I could probably clear the top of the batteries, but I only have about 18" before I would be into the gas tank.

http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=19902

PFalcon

Seaman

Here is a pathetic sketch, I am prejudiced but I MAY like it . . . undecided as yet

ladder_sketch.jpg

Of course the tube would have to be coated or covered to protect the hull.

PF

TxWolfman

Cadet

Sorry PFalcon, but none of your pix are coming through on my computer. I just see a box with a red X. Thanks for trying though.

Last edited:

TxWolfman

Cadet

Hey Pfalcon,

Checking again from a different computer I can see your pix just fine. I like the sketch you made there. I think you might be onto something.

Another option you could do where you didn't have to buy the ladder, is to make the two side-rails just extend down into the water and become the ladder and just put the steps between them. Then mabe put a couple of ball-lock male/female ends here and there (like what hold a swim pool net on a pole) to make it more portable.

Either way you can make it custom for an exact fit on any boat.

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yes, I've seen that one. Reasonably-priced also. A couple reviews said it was flimsy, but I don't know how big the reviewer was. Does it work well for you? I'm about 190 lbs.

Thanks,
Joe
I have 2 of those gunwhale mounted ladders; they have worked great on 3 different kind of boats: 13' aluminum v hull, 14' trihull bowrider and 10' fiberglass runabout. They are portable and cheap.

I'm 185 lbs.