• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bayliner ,can i fish on bay?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayliner ,can i fish on bay?

could anyone help me with my questions? i want to buy 2003 bayliner 195br capri ,135hp, 3.0L mercruiser, 19ft, price is 7000, is it good boat, can i fish on bay?thank you overyone

Re: Bayliner ,can i fish on bay?

Someone more in the know than I am will probably answer later on but my .02 is that it is underpowered.
    sigpic
    In Loving Memory--Sgt.Chad Allen 1981 - 2007
    Link to LAR Memorial
    http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/w...ARMemorial.jpg

Support All of our troops until they ALL come home.

Thankfully and Respectfully>>>>Bart Sr.

Comment

your boat lists $5,910 low retail-$6,700 hight retail, (NADA) thats just the boat and motor no trailer or goodies. Better be a real nice boat to pay what your seller is asking, its a fair price but far from a steal.....as far as a bay boat I think you will be ok, but you have to watch the weather you dont want to get caught out there if things get rough.
      Denny
      1988 stingray svc 207 ss w/ Cuddie cabin
      w/1987 mercruiser 5.7 thunderbolt IV ign. alpha 1

Comment

It would be good to know where you are talking about. That would be a real IFFY situation. You would have to pick your day and hope the wind doesn't come up. I see 17 footer here but I have had so many days w/wind, etc coming up, I would not have gone had I know. Tide also plays into the equation.
        I started out w/a 17 ft Bellboy, but did not keep it for very long.
        Power wise you will be ok, I would recommend a kicker for a back up.

Comment

Originally posted by markfisher View Post
          could anyone help me with my questions? i want to buy 2003 bayliner 195br capri ,135hp, 3.0L mercruiser, 19ft, price is 7000, is it good boat, can i fish on bay?thank you overyone
          Type of boat is a personal choice and to me price is dependent on local market.

Yes, you can go into a bay. First time out make sure it is predicted to be calm. Get use to the boat. Have all the Coast Guard approve devices on board. Get to know your limits, your boats limits and know your bay. SF Bay has protected zones and high current/high wind zones. It also has commercial traffic. Your bay will be different.
          1987 Boston Whaler "Outrageous 18"
          1989 Johnson 120 V4 VRO

Comment

People fish on kayaks so I don't see why you could not fish off a Bay.
            Offer $6k according to whats is being said here, gas gulping toys are not in huge demand right now.
            1977 Starcraft American 18' 165 Mercruiser.
            http://s226.photobucket.com/home/win...obra/allalbums

Comment

What bay? You don't provide enough information for us to answer intelligently. Hudson Bay? No. Morro Bay. Sure.

Tell us what bay you're talking about and we'll be better able to help you.

Sure...go ahead and laugh at my old aluminum boat. It's paid for!

Comment

That boat is perfectly capable of a day out on a bay. BUT YOU must be prepared with proper safety equipment if things go bad. Also, its your responsibility to check the weather, have a marine radio, and tell someone where your going, and when to expect you back.

Done right, you can have a great time. Just go running out willy-nilly and you can end up sleeping with the fishes (regardless of the boat you have).
                sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Comment

The bay am talking about is located in Maryland Chesapeake Bay, thanks to all,
                  and else seller said there is no hour meter on boat, i did not know that.

Comment

Maryland Chesapeake Bay

Comment

Pick your days and you'll be OK. Saw one out front with the fleet yesterday off Chesapeake Beach. Winds SW at 5 kt or less, seas- flat

Downside, not enough deadrise in the hull. Wouldn't want to be out there with winds much over 7-8 kts, if that. The chop will beat you silly.

Wind against tide even worst. We have a prevailing South winds in the summer. Gets darn right nasty out there with an outgoing tide. Stay in the river and you should be good to go.
                      Grady White 226
                      200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                      Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                      Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                      ICOM M504A VHF
                      Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
                        Pick your days and you'll be OK. Saw one out front with the fleet yesterday off Chesapeake Beach. Winds SW at 5 kt or less, seas- flat

Downside, not enough deadrise in the hull. Wouldn't want to be out there with winds much over 7-8 kts, if that. The chop will beat you silly.

Wind against tide even worst. We have a prevailing South winds in the summer. Gets darn right nasty out there with an outgoing tide. Stay in the river and you should be good to go.
                        I think dingbat has the answer. I would think you would want a boat that would be able to take the chop if the weather changes.
                        1987 Boston Whaler "Outrageous 18"
                        1989 Johnson 120 V4 VRO

Comment

in 2003 I paid 6k for a 19ft bayliner with a mercruiser. Was NOT underpowered and did not come with an engine hour meter either. I think the engine hour thing was less importnat because the engine was more like a car engine then a boat engine.

I fished insore, and a bay much smaller then the chesapeake then started going off shore on calm days and could fish reefs out to about 11 NM safely. had to watch weather and wave predictions close when going off shore. Never having fished the Chesapeake I cant speak for that area but in Atlantic I would only go out with low wind and waves not more then @ 2ft which wasnt as often as I liked.

Rob

Comment

I had a 2002 Searay with that same motor. It will get out of it's own way but don't expect a speed demon. FWIW, they told me they could read the hours off the motor at the shop but I never had them do it.

Are you buying the boat just to fish from or are you also wanting to ride rivers, ski, picnic, etc. ?

If I had $7k to spend on a fishing boat, that wouldn't be my choice...
                            2008 Sea-Pro SV1900CC with 150 Optimax

Comment

thanks for answer, but i think i would want to know hours , to see how often boat was used(engine wise) same as would want to know millege when buying car, may be i am wrong but it's my opinion,so there's no way to find out hours, usage of motor?

Comment

Working...
                              X