Bayliner ,can i fish on bay?

markfisher

Cadet
could anyone help me with my questions? i want to buy 2003 bayliner 195br capri ,135hp, 3.0L mercruiser, 19ft, price is 7000, is it good boat, can i fish on bay?thank you overyone

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bayliner ,can i fish on bay?

Someone more in the know than I am will probably answer later on but my .02 is that it is underpowered.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

your boat lists $5,910 low retail-$6,700 hight retail, (NADA) thats just the boat and motor no trailer or goodies. Better be a real nice boat to pay what your seller is asking, its a fair price but far from a steal.....as far as a bay boat I think you will be ok, but you have to watch the weather you dont want to get caught out there if things get rough.
Denny

gss036

Commander

It would be good to know where you are talking about. That would be a real IFFY situation. You would have to pick your day and hope the wind doesn't come up. I see 17 footer here but I have had so many days w/wind, etc coming up, I would not have gone had I know. Tide also plays into the equation.
I started out w/a 17 ft Bellboy, but did not keep it for very long.
Power wise you will be ok, I would recommend a kicker for a back up.

ebry710

Ensign

could anyone help me with my questions? i want to buy 2003 bayliner 195br capri ,135hp, 3.0L mercruiser, 19ft, price is 7000, is it good boat, can i fish on bay?thank you overyone

Type of boat is a personal choice and to me price is dependent on local market.

Yes, you can go into a bay. First time out make sure it is predicted to be calm. Get use to the boat. Have all the Coast Guard approve devices on board. Get to know your limits, your boats limits and know your bay. SF Bay has protected zones and high current/high wind zones. It also has commercial traffic. Your bay will be different.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

People fish on kayaks so I don't see why you could not fish off a Bay.
Offer $6k according to whats is being said here, gas gulping toys are not in huge demand right now.

CATransplant

Admiral

What bay? You don't provide enough information for us to answer intelligently. Hudson Bay? No. Morro Bay. Sure.

Tell us what bay you're talking about and we'll be better able to help you.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

That boat is perfectly capable of a day out on a bay. BUT YOU must be prepared with proper safety equipment if things go bad. Also, its your responsibility to check the weather, have a marine radio, and tell someone where your going, and when to expect you back.

Done right, you can have a great time. Just go running out willy-nilly and you can end up sleeping with the fishes (regardless of the boat you have).

markfisher

Cadet

The bay am talking about is located in Maryland Chesapeake Bay, thanks to all,
and else seller said there is no hour meter on boat, i did not know that.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Pick your days and you'll be OK. Saw one out front with the fleet yesterday off Chesapeake Beach. Winds SW at 5 kt or less, seas- flat ;)

Downside, not enough deadrise in the hull. Wouldn't want to be out there with winds much over 7-8 kts, if that. The chop will beat you silly.

Wind against tide even worst. We have a prevailing South winds in the summer. Gets darn right nasty out there with an outgoing tide. Stay in the river and you should be good to go.

ebry710

Ensign

Pick your days and you'll be OK. Saw one out front with the fleet yesterday off Chesapeake Beach. Winds SW at 5 kt or less, seas- flat ;)

Downside, not enough deadrise in the hull. Wouldn't want to be out there with winds much over 7-8 kts, if that. The chop will beat you silly.

Wind against tide even worst. We have a prevailing South winds in the summer. Gets darn right nasty out there with an outgoing tide. Stay in the river and you should be good to go.

I think dingbat has the answer. I would think you would want a boat that would be able to take the chop if the weather changes.

Sharkfighter

Cadet

in 2003 I paid 6k for a 19ft bayliner with a mercruiser. Was NOT underpowered and did not come with an engine hour meter either. I think the engine hour thing was less importnat because the engine was more like a car engine then a boat engine.

I fished insore, and a bay much smaller then the chesapeake then started going off shore on calm days and could fish reefs out to about 11 NM safely. had to watch weather and wave predictions close when going off shore. Never having fished the Chesapeake I cant speak for that area but in Atlantic I would only go out with low wind and waves not more then @ 2ft which wasnt as often as I liked.

Rob

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 2002 Searay with that same motor. It will get out of it's own way but don't expect a speed demon. FWIW, they told me they could read the hours off the motor at the shop but I never had them do it.

Are you buying the boat just to fish from or are you also wanting to ride rivers, ski, picnic, etc. ?

If I had $7k to spend on a fishing boat, that wouldn't be my choice...

markfisher

Cadet

thanks for answer, but i think i would want to know hours , to see how often boat was used(engine wise) same as would want to know millege when buying car, may be i am wrong but it's my opinion,so there's no way to find out hours, usage of motor?

markfisher

Cadet

Ovrrdrive

the boat i am lookinf for is for fishing and fun, what would be my choice? i want to spend around 5-6, first i was looking for central consol but they are expensive even year 1993-1998,and i thought i need outbourd (approx 90 to 120HP) not sure about brand and i thought about this because cheaper service or repair.but if get central consol fishing boat , then i would not be able take my friends to bay for boating and fun , but if i get something like bayliner then i get both (fish and fun) i saw chapparel once for 6000, year 1994, 20-21 f, 3.0 mercru, with cabin,i did like it, and later i realized if i get something with cabin , then i loose space on the nose if am fishing.so still looking for boat , but in area i live not much sellers,(Harrisburg PA)

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I have been all over the Chesapeake Bay in a 19 footer. After about a year of hard headeness I finally learned to stay off it if they were predicting winds more than 10MPH out of the N, NE, or NW. Anything else was no problem. It can get very nasty but no problem if you are careful.

Sharkfighter

Cadet

Ovrrdrive

the boat i am lookinf for is for fishing and fun, what would be my choice? i want to spend around 5-6, QUOTE]

The fish and ski bayliner is a good choice. The engine is like a car engine so minor repairs are easy. Example an alternator belt broke on mine and even though I know absolutely nothing about engines especially boat engines I was able to replace the belt from Auto Zone. No way could I do something like that on my current Yamaha 300 HPDI outboard. THe seating is also nice for family cruise, tubing and skiing. Mine went about 35-38mph at top speed which was fast enough for me, especially since it was first boat I owned.

While It was ok for Fishing it didnt have the true fishing stuff of a real fishing boat. Only had one Rod holder I mounted and it was not flush mounted, No mounted livewell and fish boxes, no raw water washdown hoses etc. Of course none of that stopped me from catching fish in it!

Current boat has a cabin walkaround cause wife wanted the private bathroom (head).

Here is pic of bayliner, much like my first Mustang it will always be a boat with lot of great memories to me.

Attachments

• tom fish resize.JPG
    tom fish resize.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
  • my bayliner resize.JPG
    my bayliner resize.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 0

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMHO, and this is coming from someone (me) who was on-call for the Coast Guard Auxiliary, before there was a Seatow or TowboatUS. We got the boaters after they did everything else wrong.
A bowrider, particularly one under 24' is NOT a good boat if the seas (waves) kick up. The bow is open, and it will scoop up water when a sea boards over the bow. Now, theres a couple of hunderd # of water in the boat, so the next sea puts in more water, and suddenly you are swamped (or sunk).
For a boat of 18-20' for use in open water I would recommend a closed bow; runabout or cuddy cabin boat. It has dry storage, a place for the kids, and still has fishability.
There nothing wrong with the merc 4 banger. As said above, its no speed demon, but used right, there are very reliable. I had 2 in past boats with very little problems.

ebry710

Ensign

Ovrrdrive

the boat i am lookinf for is for fishing and fun, what would be my choice? i want to spend around 5-6, first i was looking for central consol but they are expensive even year 1993-1998,and i thought i need outbourd (approx 90 to 120HP) not sure about brand and i thought about this because cheaper service or repair.but if get central consol fishing boat , then i would not be able take my friends to bay for boating and fun , but if i get something like bayliner then i get both (fish and fun) i saw chapparel once for 6000, year 1994, 20-21 f, 3.0 mercru, with cabin,i did like it, and later i realized if i get something with cabin , then i loose space on the nose if am fishing.so still looking for boat , but in area i live not much sellers,(Harrisburg PA)
I have a whaler and of course it is a center console, but I have to admit it is not plush. Fun and functional, but not a comfortable boat for a group of friends to just sit and talk. There has got to be a compromise between a pretty lake boat like the Bayliner and the stout bay skipper like the Whaler.